The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

New member here. Glad to have found this place. Haven't been at guitar long, but enthusiastic and decided to embark on my first build project. Rather than follow the smart and obvious path of buying readily available parts, I've decided to build-up a lawsuit-era Japanese SG-copy body that came my way. I have the original bridge and tremolo tailpiece, which would likely have been impossible to track down, but need an option for the pickguard which is far from anything available for the SG. The double pickguard configuration of an SG Pro won't work, given the size of the hole for the electronics.

As far as I can tell from my research, the guitar appears to be a Lyle. Pics can be found at 4web — Postimage.org . The image on the left is my body (yes, I realize the tailpiece is upside down). The complete guitar on the right is the closest model I can find online.

I'm not aiming for an accurate restoration, it's intended to be a rough-around-the-edges, single pickup Frankenguitar, in the spirit of Malcolm Young. Another option might be to go with out a pickguard at all, like Eddie Van Halen's guitars.

Does anyone have any recommendations on possible pickguard options? I've reached-out to most of the major US companies but am not confident of receiving responses. Even if I could get one custom made, I don't believe any templates would exist.

Any advice,resources, etc. would be much appreciated - including maybe going without one, maybe? I've already done quite a bit of online research - now looking for the "needles in the haystack..."

Many thanks.

4web — Postimage.org

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Rinkya or Jauce to check for stuff made in Japan. Ebay as well. Or Custom. But you have to pay commission and shipping to the warehouse then shipping to Canada if you use Rinkya or Jauce. Won;t be cheap but you will have better luck. I can't see a picture, all I am getting is a black rectangle. Full guard or half guard? P90's or humbuckers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Rinkya or Jauce to check for stuff made in Japan. Ebay as well. Or Custom. But you have to pay commission and shipping to the warehouse then shipping to Canada if you use Rinkya or Jauce. Won;t be cheap but you will have better luck. I can't see a picture, all I am getting is a black rectangle. Full guard or half guard? P90's or humbuckers?
Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the suggestions. I had to leave for the night before completing my post. Link to pic is attached. I'm thinking of going with a single Gretsch TV Jones Power’Tron™ bridge pickup, like Malcolm Young's set-up, actually...

Been looking on eBay for pickguards that might be suitable, without much luck.

I'm not hoping to find an actual Lyle pickguard. Those would be rarer than hen's teeth now. Just a solution that won't fall apart and works with the overall concept of a relic/etc. Will check out those leads. Cheers!

L

·
0 Posts
That's it exactly! Is that a Lyle as well?
Google pic 'Marlin'.
Entry level guitars with different brand names depending on which store sold them.
I got one for x-mas when I was a kid. My first electric.
I eventually gave to my friend who turned it into a double neck using his Emperador bass.

001 (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
There was one on Reverb about a year ago and sold, another on eBay which was sold. Also look for Univox. Pic below is a Univox. There is also a Raven Sg, but there are 2 style of pickguards. One is a match the other is not.

Raven SG

Also a Raven SG

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Pickguard material isn’t very hard to cut.

You can buy a sheet of blank material from solo music and diy it.

Do you have a scroll saw/ band saw/coping saw, drill & drill bits?

Nathan

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Pickguard material isn’t very hard to cut.

You can buy a sheet of blank material from solo music and diy it.

Do you have a scroll saw/ band saw/coping saw, drill & drill bits?

Nathan
That's the way I would go as well. If you have access to any CAD programs draw out the outline and print it out on paper to make sure it is correct then use the paper to make a template or just stick it on the plastic and cut the correct shape. I have a CNC machine, so that is something that I do quite a bit. Let me know if you want a hand drawing it out or cutting it as well.

Cheers Peter.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have one... 2 actually, 1 I'm just about finished restoring, the other is a stripped down neck/body only (no plastic) I was using for re-fret practice.

I had to flatten my pickguard out, big wave in it from the pickups being set way way too high (flare out on the covers pushed the guard up).

Before I did anything though I made a very accurate tracing on grid paper, which my plan was to scan into the PC and redraw with Illustrator and upload a PDF/EPS file for others to use if they need it.

Haven't done it yet, but... I can scan a copy this weekend if needed and piece it together into a single sheet. Tracing in illustrator, maybe... bit busy right now for that but can maybe get time for it.

Let me know if need anything.

·
Registered
24,524 Posts
In some instances, it can be better to cut your own pickguard; especially when the controls are mounted on the pickguard. First, controls may not always be situated where you like them. For example, you may want a volume pot where you can do pinky swells, You may want to move controls, whether knobs or switches to a location where they are easier to reach, or perhaps harder to accidentally knock. You may also want a different type of switch (toggle instead of slide switches), or a different number of controls.

Now, while it can be better, that doesn't necessarily make it easier. "But I don't have the tools!", you say. Fair point. Many large cities these days will have some sort of Makerspace that can provide tools. So if you can find the dimensions and have a scale template, at least on paper, you can probably get access to the tools that will permit precision cutting. Bevelling the sides may require little more than a scraper blade.

A number of places sell blank sheets of pickguard material. Guitar Fetish is one example: Uncut Pickguard Material- Great for Custom Pickguards! Given the size of the original, you'll likely want an 11" x 19" sheet.

It's not that hard. I cut this one from an 11 x 19 sheet a couple of weeks ago, with hand tools.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Personally, I'd love to find someone local that has a small CNC for cutting that stuff... but in the meanwhile, I'll have to dust off the router table (hasn't been used in 20yrs) and get a guided bit for it. Have a few projects now where I'm stuck at the plastic.

I have a sheet from GFS myself, and it's a good size and nice thickness. I know it's big enough for my one project... my other is the same SG pickguard as in the OP and keep forgetting to measure what I need. Though for that project, I'm gonna make something so glittery and loud that Liberace woulda said hey take it down a notch. :D

Saw a review once with an SG and was so over the top it was cool... sadly it was a pickup review and the guitar was very badly outta tune. Wonder if I can find that link again...

Think I got it.... LINK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts