The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly ----> LANGUAGE WARNING (don't crank this at work LOL)

I get a kick outa this guy. Gotta say what he's preaching probably won't be too popular, but I have a hard time disputing his claims. And the company is Canadian. Only in Canada, you say? Pity.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I love this guy.
Watched a ton of his videos. I agree with most of the things he says. However some are hard to prove because of subjectivity

·
Administrator
17,159 Posts
Awesome, LOL.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want one of those t-shirts that he's wearing.
I went to their website. The sell some cool, somewhat inappropriate T-shirts. But I didn't see that one. How about this one?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
How my guitar sounds to me affects how I play it. If it sounds good to me I will play better. I'm sure people would care about that.

That being said good sound doesn't have to be expensive.

I see tonnes of great all tube amps on Kijiji for $500. 2x12 Fender Deville, etc. Grab a used Blues Jr and mic it up.

Grab a used Les Paul Studio or a MIM strat, a few pedals and you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
How my guitar sounds to me affects how I play it. If it sounds good to me I will play better. I'm sure people would care about that.
I agree with this. One of the most important people in my audience is me, and I care how I sound. It's kind of like a mild, always-on compression... no one will ever notice it, but I will and it will change how I play, which other people might notice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just your typical loud, obnoxious "soundman". Can't play any instrument well enough to be in a band so he presses "RECORD" on a computer. What a handsome dude. HAHA

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

That being said good sound doesn't have to be expensive.

I see tonnes of great all tube amps on Kijiji for $500. 2x12 Fender Deville, etc. Grab a used Blues Jr and mic it up.

Grab a used Les Paul Studio or a MIM strat, a few pedals and you are good to go.
How a guitar sounds and feels to me affects how I play. I can justify reasonably high-end guitars because of this. There is also a bare minimum in amps as you say, but after a certain point, it's really 'getting lost in the mix'. Recording or shoegazing at home may be slightly different. But at what cost?

·
Administrator
17,159 Posts
I just like "nice stuff". None of it makes me play any better, for that i would actually need to practice and stop spending time, and money, rolling through gear. Of course I also like changing gear so that's not likely going to stop.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Seems odd to me that a message so obvious has to be stated, perhaps it's a sign of our times. But then again, I (and I suppose, more than a few others here) grew up in the 60's, 70's and 80's playing cheap and craptastic gear because: 1) there wasn't the proliferation of gear choices that there are today (certainly no such thing as "boutique" gear, for instance), and 2) most of us couldn't afford what little high-end gear there was as it was way out of our price-range. Heck, most music stores only carried maybe three pedals and a "pedal-board" was the domain of few of the most elite professional guitarists on the planet.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I'm from the same era.

I remember well the first time I saw a boutique amp on stage. It was the late 80s and there were two of these things called Matchless all lit up on the stage. This was at the end of the 'transistors will eventually take over' period so I'm thinking: "Why wouldn't these guys be using Fenders or Marshalls or Voxes?" Especially when you consider it was Eric Clapton and his sideman for that tour, Mark Knopfler. LOL Little did I know what was coming down the pipe.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
nice Douglas Adams reference with his shirt

I agree with him

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
He's a long time studio owner and old-school heavy metal producer who has been smart enough to make money from a handful of genuinely interested loyal fans as well as a big bunch of haters. His content has been designed to keep people coming for one reason or another. I love it

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I enjoy watching Glenn's videos, even though I'm not a metal guy. His video production, sound and lighting in his videos is excellent. I learned how to make my own video lights from one of his instructional videos.

And check out his Stupid Texts from Musicians series; lots of laughs in there.

·
Premium Member
11,134 Posts
Seems odd to me that a message so obvious has to be stated, perhaps it's a sign of our times. But then again, I (and I suppose, more than a few others here) grew up in the 60's, 70's and 80's playing cheap and craptastic gear because: 1) there wasn't the proliferation of gear choices that there are today (certainly no such thing as "boutique" gear, for instance), and 2) most of us couldn't afford what little high-end gear there was as it was way out of our price-range. Heck, most music stores only carried maybe three pedals and a "pedal-board" was the domain of few of the most elite professional guitarists on the planet.
I think your generation wasn't as brainwashed by endorsement deals as later generations were.
Kids these days have been taught that to sound like Jimmy Page, they need a Jimmy Page Les Paul. To sound like Slash, they need a Slash signature Les Paul ;)
It's impossible to sound like dimebag if you're playing evh s guitar, and vice versa.
It's all in the guitar, man!

Reactions: gtone
1 - 20 of 32 Posts