·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: cheezyridr

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
Gretsch has survived and it doing well. Gretsch family still owns it even if Fender runs it. Even Rickenbacker is still around. I don't think Gibson will disappear at all. A smaller and more focused operation.

...And I don't think they should spin off Epiphone.

·
Registered
676 Posts
This is a bit of a tangent to this thread, but bear with me... why are the highly-revered R8, R7, etc. so expensive? They're all basically the same guitar as most other models of LP, but cost double and triple as much. The inference is that anything other than a noble 'R' series is deliberately made of lesser quality materials and workmanship.
Materials cost? - Sure, a piece of squiggly wood may cost more these days, but not a couple of grand more, and besides, your not getting any 'real' (original species) rosewoods, or ebony/mahogany on instruments these days.
Back in the fifties, those now-beloved 'R' models weren't subject to the precision of numerical controlled machinery, temperature controls, etc. anyway - they were just Les Pauls. Ya, the necks were shaped just-so, now distinguishing some 'R' models, but that can/should be offered at no extra cost, with today's NC machinery.
Maybe offering 'R' type models at Standard or Traditional prices would be a better way to sell? Maybe they just have too many variations of the LP model - I don't know.
In the fifties, when my dad was buying a car, seat belts were an accessory at extra cost. Funny? Well, that was for Black belts. You could buy "color coordinated" belts to match whatever color you chose for your car, but that was an extra-extra cost. Car radio? - extra cost. White wall tires? - you guessed it - extra cost.
Rant done.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
This is a bit of a tangent to this thread, but bear with me... why are the highly-revered R8, R7, etc. so expensive? They're all basically the same guitar as most other models of LP, but cost double and triple as much. The inference is that anything other than a noble 'R' series is deliberately made of lesser quality materials and workmanship.
Materials cost? - Sure, a piece of squiggly wood may cost more these days, but not a couple of grand more, and besides, your not getting any 'real' (original species) rosewoods, or ebony/mahogany on instruments these days.
Back in the fifties, those now-beloved 'R' models weren't subject to the precision of numerical controlled machinery, temperature controls, etc. anyway - they were just Les Pauls. Ya, the necks were shaped just-so, now distinguishing some 'R' models, but that can/should be offered at no extra cost, with today's NC machinery.
Maybe offering 'R' type models at Standard or Traditional prices would be a better way to sell? Maybe they just have too many variations of the LP model - I don't know.
In the fifties, when my dad was buying a car, seat belts were an accessory at extra cost. Funny? Well, that was for Black ones. You could buy "color coordinated" belts to match whatever color you chose for your car, but that was an extra-extra cost. Car radio? - Extra cost. White wall tires? - you guessed it - extra cost.
Rant done.
paging @Steadfastly

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's what the market will bear or what they feel it will bear. Most of it is marketing and sales costs and you're right, it costs peanuts more to make than a similar non-R LP. This goes on in every industry and they are targeted at certain types of individuals.

Reactions: J-75

·
Premium Member
9,758 Posts
In the fifties, when my dad was buying a car, seat belts were an accessory at extra cost. Funny? Well, that was for Black belts. You could buy "color coordinated" belts to match whatever color you chose for your car, but that was an extra-extra cost. Car radio? - extra cost. White wall tires? - you guessed it - extra cost.
Rant done.
They don’t seem to have any trouble selling R’s and even more expensive models, that’s really all that needs to be said.
It’s arguable that a Lamborghini aventador isnt much better than a new corvette....so why don’t they price them closer to the vette? Because they don’t need to.

·
Registered
12,269 Posts
Rant done.

they'll never lower the prices because of all the guys that already paid ridiculous amounts for them. i know if i paid that much for something and they arbitrarily knocked 50% off for everyone who bought one after me, i'd be seriously pissed

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
Wait and see,... wait and see.

·
Registered
11,839 Posts
Look at any line of guitar maufacturers line up, between their standard line and something out of their custom shop.

I've had a LP Standard here and my R8, the reissue is a cut above, no two ways about it.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Look at any line of guitar maufacturers line up, between their standard line and something out of their custom shop.

I've had a LP Standard here and my R8, the reissue is a cut above, no two ways about it.
exactly.., haters gonna hate

·
Premium Member
9,758 Posts
It looks like some new Gibson’s are going to have braz fretboards.
Wonder if they’re just using old stock, or found a source ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts