The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20 minutes of playing and my pick is wore out...I tried the gator Dunlop but still wears way too easy;

Does anyone know of a pick that doesn't wear so quick...Thanks percy

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
There are so many to pick from that you can literally take your pick.
(Sorry...couldn't resist)

Do you have a preference for thickness (e.g. 0.60, 0.73, etc).

Any preference re: shape
Here are a few samples...

This might help others to give you suggestions re: durability/resisting wear.

I'm likely no help to you as I use fairly thin picks and virtually only play acoustic guitar (Brain or Cat Tongue 0.60). I never have problems with wear.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
20 minutes of playing and my pick is wore out...I tried the gator Dunlop but still wears way too easy;

Does anyone know of a pick that doesn't wear so quick...Thanks percy
@sambonee ....Vpicks are wicked durable and have plenty of options.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Try the Tusq ones. I like them for their sound (especially on acoustic), how they slide over the strings, and have no complaints about durability. They don't wear as fast as tortex do for me.

·
Premium Member
10,865 Posts
These brands:

My favourite Blue Chip does not wear, I've used the same couple for years.

V-Picks if you can stand the clickity-clack.

Wegen,

Dunlop Ultex.

Gravity.

Snark.

I started to try the Dunlop Flex but I don't like the size of the 3 corner one.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I like the tortex material myself for electric, or celluloid for acoustic

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Fender 351 heavy seem to do ok for me and I play aggressively with lots of cross picking acoustic. They are cheap just buy a shit load and leave them everywhere.

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Same with me, Fender 351 Extra Heavy (1.21). I guess I don't play that aggressively. Those picks can last me years, with the exception of pick slides, which really chew up the edges. Still usable in a pinch though.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Oh god the shark fin lol. That was my go to when I was like 15. Thought it was the best pick ever. I thought using the 'serrated' fin on acousitc sounded like delay lol.

Lately Im wondering if me chewing through picks has to do with a wrong hand position more than anything.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
I use metal picks. Metal rulez!!!! BTW, Never seen one wear out...........

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I never knew pick wear was an issue in that short of time. I used to wear a chain with the picks that I wore away, but they were worn from years of playing.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My favorite are Dunlop yellow Tortex .73mm I use them for electric and bass.

I tend to lose guitar picks pretty fast, so I ordered a case of 100 generic picks of varying thickness on AliExpress for like, $10. I'm still working through those, and I also keep a pack of match picks in my case for myself and when the guitar players lose theirs.

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
I don't mind pick wear--but I find Tortex picks last a while.
I also use some stone picks--they only break if they get dropped & hit wrong--or stuff like that...

·
Premium Member
4,074 Posts
Try some Blue Chip. Expensive but you'll NEVER buy another pick again. I've had mine for 5 years now, it's still like new. No wear at all. The ones I use are the same size as Jazz III picks which I used prior to the BC.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts