The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I did a short video demoing the TC Electronic June-60 Stereo Chorus and I wanted to share that. I didn't really like chorus but then I saw this on Joey Landreth's board, so give it a go. Pretty cool beginner/easy-to-use chorus! Obviously not the most versatile but for what it does, it does pretty well!

(One thing I wanted to do with my demos is to use the pedal to actually make music, so there's a cool loop section at the end!)

I demo'ed the slow and fast modes (also both together) and also added a drive pedal (POT). I can get faux-leslie tones from it too. Hope you enjoy! :)

·
Premium Member
26,141 Posts
The chorus on the Roland Juno 60 and 106, that this is based on, uses a pair of delay chips in counterswept mode. That is, while one is moving to shorter delay time, the other is moving to longer. The result is that you have 3 voices at once (including clean), unlike most other analog chorus pedals that have only two: wet and dry. The four-button Boss DC-2 Dimension C pedal is essentially the same thing, although where the DC-2 has companding to keep the noise under control, and uses a pair of MN3007 1024-stage chips, the Junos use a pair of 256-stage MN3009 chips and include no companding. The TC 3rd Dimension is ostensibly a clone of the DC-2 (which used to be produced as a DC-2 clone by Behringer). I'm not at all clear on what the differences between the Juno 60 and 3rd Dimension choruses are, other than having 2 vs 4 buttons for presets. The Xvive company has brought back the MN3009 chip, presumably because Behringer provided them with a market for it to justify the investment. The difference between 256 and 1024 stages would suggest the Juno 60 and 3rd Dim have somewhat different delay-time ranges, but that's about as much as I can surmise.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chorus on the Roland Juno 60 and 106, that this is based on, uses a pair of delay chips in counterswept mode. That is, while one is moving to shorter delay time, the other is moving to longer. The result is that you have 3 voices at once (including clean), unlike most other analog chorus pedals that have only two: wet and dry. The four-button Boss DC-2 Dimension C pedal is essentially the same thing, although where the DC-2 has companding to keep the noise under control, and uses a pair of MN3007 1024-stage chips, the Junos use a pair of 256-stage MN3009 chips and include no companding. The TC 3rd Dimension is ostensibly a clone of the DC-2 (which used to be produced as a DC-2 clone by Behringer). I'm not at all clear on what the differences between the Juno 60 and 3rd Dimension choruses are, other than having 2 vs 4 buttons for presets. The Xvive company has brought back the MN3009 chip, presumably because Behringer provided them with a market for it to justify the investment. The difference between 256 and 1024 stages would suggest the Juno 60 and 3rd Dim have somewhat different delay-time ranges, but that's about as much as I can surmise.
That is such a cool breakdown! I love the sound from the Dimension C as well and I did hear a comparable tone to my chorus-inexperienced ears. Hidden gem, this pedal I think. And super inexpensive. Glad I found it :)

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
This thing is a total hidden gem!! Such a great chorus at any price, let alone how cheap it is! Joey Landreth has this on his board and it sounds ACE

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This thing is a total hidden gem!! Such a great chorus at any price, let alone how cheap it is! Joey Landreth has this on his board and it sounds ACE
Yeah! That's exactly why I got it! Saw it on Joey's board :) and for under 100, it's phenomenal. I've heard it in a band context and it sounds really soupy and sweet.

·
Registered
15,651 Posts
Obviously not the most versatile but for what it does, it does pretty well!
Sometimes a subtle chorus is what you want.
(I have a Dano Fab Chorus--nice subtle chorus, especially for bass--and a TC Electronics Corona Chorus --which does more--but sometimes I like it. Nothing wrong with eventually having more than one--and nothing wrong iwht basic chorus)

Reactions: Sunny1433

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes a subtle chorus is what you want.
(I have a Dano Fab Chorus--nice subtle chorus, especially for bass--and a TC Electronics Corona Chorus --which does more--but sometimes I like it. Nothing wrong with eventually having more than one--and nothing wrong iwht basic chorus)
Yeap, that's what I'm learning to. Really learning to enjoy chorus and that kind movement.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Got intrigued by this chorus pedal. So I got one. LOL The one I've been using has been the Boss DC-3 Digital Dimension. It's been on my pedalboard for years. I'm creating another board and I could use this chorus on that board. :)

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got intrigued by this chorus pedal. So I got one. LOL The one I've been using has been the Boss DC-3 Digital Dimension. It's been on my pedalboard for years. I'm creating another board and I could use this chorus on that board. :)
That's awesome! I hope you enjoy the pedal! :) Are you making a smaller or just a different one?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
That's awesome! I hope you enjoy the pedal! :) Are you making a smaller or just a different one?
A smaller one with a Dunlop MXR Echoplex Preamp, a Prince of Tone, Timmy and Hermida Zendrive Black Magic. I might replace the Zendrive with the Chorus and see how that works. My main pedalboard right now is untouchable. ;)

·
Premium Member
26,141 Posts
I've had a busted Juno-106 sitting in my basement for what must be a decade or more. Picked it up at the former Songbird in town for $50. I've been tempted to cannibalize it for parts, including the chorus section, but I keep seeing Youtubes for Juno-106 synths, and sick Kijiji prices for them, that make me want to restore it. Torn between the two options. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A smaller one with a Dunlop MXR Echoplex Preamp, a Prince of Tone, Timmy and Hermida Zendrive Black Magic. I might replace the Zendrive with the Chorus and see how that works. My main pedalboard right now is untouchable. ;)
Oooh nice gain options there! Lemme know what you think of the chorus :) I'm pretty tempted to make a mini pedalboard for myself but I'd have to buy a lot of the pedals lol

I have a Dawner Prince Boonar, I wanna get a Flint, and a cool dual drive pedal like a Duelist or a Gladio.. project for another time.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had a busted Juno-106 sitting in my basement for what must be a decade or more. Picked it up at the former Songbird in town for $50. I've been tempted to cannibalize it for parts, including the chorus section, but I keep seeing Youtubes for Juno-106 synths, and sick Kijiji prices for them, that make me want to restore it. Torn between the two options. :unsure:
Hmmm sounds like a good quarantine project to me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is such a cool breakdown! I love the sound from the Dimension C as well and I did hear a comparable tone to my chorus-inexperienced ears. Hidden gem, this pedal I think. And super inexpensive. Glad I found it :)
Agreed! @mhammer nice break down. Very informative. I'd love to see where that project goes if you do get to it.🤘

I love mine. Excellent chorus, perfect for someone just getting into the effect. I'm not a big chorus guy and this thing pulled me in with it's ease of use and stereo option.

If anyone is looking for more demos of this thing, I couldn't help myself. Check it out if you can :)

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed! @mhammer nice break down. Very informative. I'd love to see where that project goes if you do get to it.🤘

I love mine. Excellent chorus, perfect for someone just getting into the effect. I'm not a big chorus guy and this thing pulled me in with it's ease of use and stereo option.

If anyone is looking for more demos of this thing, I couldn't help myself. Check it out if you can :)
Right on man. For sure, it's such a cool pedal to have around!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts