The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
,,, about two hours after I made this post on the what guitar are you playing today thread...

"Meanwhile, I noodled on a Squier VM Jaguar at L&M (unplugged) I really liked neck and fretboard - 1.65" nut, 9.5" radius, 24" scale. Had 9-42s on it. Very very playable"

I did a search for Fender Jaguar on Kijiji. Fastest impulse buy ever. (I can always sell it was my rational). Once I get it cleaned up and restrung, I will post pictures. Not at home until tomorrow though

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a Squier, no traditional Jaguar. This is my intro to a mod platform. Fender Jaguar HH Blacktop MIM. I saw a few advertised on Kijiji for $600. I got this for WAY less. Was in dire need of a string change and a bath. Got a new set of strings on. B and G strings need intonation. Action is high. Took it outside and the there is a notice bow - needs a truss rod adjustment. I am going try this shit for the first time myself. My Mexi-Strat has a wrench. Hope I can use that. Hope I can find it. G string also pops at the nut sometimes. I was thinking about a second string tree.

STOCK PHOTO

It is not too heavy, I really like the playability of the short scale and the comfort of the offset body. I would have preferred black, but silver looks better in person than on the page. It's got two pickups, a three way, a volume and tone. Basic DIY upgrade, in the future, I see.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Cool score. I like the funkiness of Fender's offset offerings. An old friend of mine used to rock a late 60's Jazzmaster back in the early 80s (still has it but babies it now) and it looked and sounded awesome. Let us know how it goes once you have it set up to your taste.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Nice. I like that shape. Remember when adjusting the truss rod, a very little turn can produce a large change.

·
Premium Member
5,090 Posts
I have that exact same guitar! Plays great, I really like the short scale too. I converted mine to Vineham Humdogs (P90's in a humbucker format) as I found the HB's it came with to be a little mediocre.
Paid $280 for the one I have, bought it from one of the local members here. Screaming deal.
Congrats on your purchase

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Always remember to start by loosening the truss rod first just to be safe, and then make the adjustment you need to. Fender truss rods are generally less sensitive to small tweaks than Gibsons, but still a little goes a long way.

W.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume there are a gazillion or so YouTube vids on truss rod adjustments, so...........

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The @ L&M Whyte know me by now and just gave me an Allan Wrench to adjust the truss rod,...

So far I got the action down a far amount (it was really high), but it can still go down some. I have turned it a total of almost 3/8 a of turn, in about 8 to 10 cautious little turns. No buzzing. Still has a bit of a bow (eyeballing it). I am now wondering the bridge might need to be lowered.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mentioned in another thread that I got intonation done (first time - woo-hoo!) with this guitar. May have to do some mini-tweaks. I also mentioned that I adjusted the truss rod one day, very, very, very carefully. Over the next two days I tweaked it again. Total around a 1/2 turn. Action is still a bit high. The bridge is set about as low as it can go, I believe.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found this picture of the pots and stuff. This is exactly what it looks like. I swear I almost needed a magnifying glass to see the cap. I can't read what the pots say on mine because of the solder partially covers it. The guy who took the picture says they are 500k linear. I'm guessing the cap is a wee .022 uf ceramic.

If I was to replace the pickups with HB sized P90s what would anyone here suggest?

·
Premium Member
17,191 Posts
The caps CAN be small, from an electronics perspective, because there is no significant voltage and current to be concerned about....and, in addition, the manufacturer can save money.
I refuse to go go any further down "the cap rabbit hole"..LOL

There doesn't appear to be a ground wire to the jack in your pic above. That is an essential connection!!

I would use 250K pots with P90's. Others will disagree.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts