The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate, that’s what the original was initially designed for but does anyone use the RI for playing bass through these days?

I’m contemplating buying one, primarily for bass.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I think it depends on what you're doing. I used both a 59 reissue and a 410 Bassman 10 open back for bass in the past. If you're in an old style blues band it could work quite well. It gets a little farty in the low end, isn't very loud and distorts a lot (almost like a bass fuzz), but that could be useful in certain situations or in the studio.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
First of all, StratCat--happy 5th GC birthday. I just noticed that it's today...

It's funny you should bring the Bassman as a bass amp topic up. I came to the internet just the other day asking this same question when I spotted a used '59 Bassman in my local L&M. Everything I read said something like, "Yes, use it for bass, but it's going to be hard to keep up with the band if you're gigging."

Long story short--I am not a bass player but one of my dozens of New Years resolutions is to play more bass in 2019 so I brought the Bassman home with me. Aesthetically, it's hard to beat, however, I feel like I was just as happy sound wise with the solid state, 200-watt Gallien-Krueger 112MB that I bought (and then never touched) during my last bass phase :)

My thoughts: Buy a Bassman reissue if you've always wanted one. Don't buy it because it's the best "bass amp" on the market. You can get way more for less.

Oh, glamour shot...
Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments Music

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Just my opinion but i would go with a more modern voiced bass amp. There is a such a great selection and like ZDogma said, all depends what style you play. SWR, MarkBass etc.. would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, StratCat--happy 5th GC birthday. I just noticed that it's today...

It's funny you should bring the Bassman as a bass amp topic up. I came to the internet just the other day asking this same question when I spotted a used '59 Bassman in my local L&M. Everything I read said something like, "Yes, use it for bass, but it's going to be hard to keep up with the band if you're gigging."

Long story short--I am not a bass player but one of my dozens of New Years resolutions is to play more bass in 2019 so I brought the Bassman home with me. Aesthetically, it's hard to beat, however, I feel like I was just as happy sound wise with the solid state, 200-watt Gallien-Krueger 112MB that I bought (and then never touched) during my last bass phase :)

My thoughts: Buy a Bassman reissue if you've always wanted one. Don't buy it because it's the best "bass amp" on the market. You can get way more for less.

Oh, glamour shot...
View attachment 236718

Thank you for the Bday wishes! And the insight on the bassman for bass. I’m still looking and moving in favour of a small class D bass amp and cabinet.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I would buy a Bassman RI if you want a great giggable guitar amp and an occasional 'at home or very small gig' bass amp. With the open back, they don't go that deep and don't stay clean for much of the volume range (which of course makes them great for guitar).

If you want a more giggable bass amp with more power and low end extension, I would lean towards many of the newer class D bass amps - for probably a lot less money than a RI.

Reactions: StratCat

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
If you're dead set on a Bassman for bass duty, I'd reccomend a higher powered 70s model
Decades ago I bought Bassman 70 (2 x 6L6) with a 2x15 closed-back cab that worked pretty well for bass. One thing to note, the vintage amp pairs well with vintage-style basses. But once you get into active pickups, it doesn’t sound that great anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts