The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the deal,

I recently joined a band and I'm discovering that my 20watt solid state 110 amp isn't cutting it in a band situation. It's a very loud band, the other guitarist plays through a 412 cab with some kind of a fender head. Anyway, the rehearsal place we use has guitar cabs in it so I was thinking of just buying a head and taking that with me to the gigs and not worrying about the cab for now. Then, when a decent deal comes up on craigslist for a 212 cab I'd get that or even more ideally, buy an empty 212 and grab 2 of those cheap celestion clones and have them installed. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Also, I don't know anything about cab ohms so if someone can fill me in on what kind of head I need to look for since I'd like to be able to put it through a 212 at home and a 412 at rehearsal. For example would that new Traynor YCS head work in these situations?

I have the option, of renting marshall valvestate heads from the reahearsal space so it's not important for me to get this ASAP but I'd like to get a good tube head when a deal pops up. Also, I wouldn't mind having the head for a long time without a cab and waiting for the right deal on the cab to show up. I'm willing I suppose to go up to maybe $700 for the head. Anyone have any suggestions or is there any obvious (technical) problems with what I've thought out here? Also, I would rather take this approach than get a combo since I can just take the head with me to rehearsal and it would be much easier to transport. I also think this would be a much better setup in the long run since I have the option of getting a really nice cab and messing with speaker combinations etc..

I would also like at least a 30watt head, preferrably 50. I know what many people are gonna say " you don't need that much" but these guys play really really loud and I dont ever want to be in a position where I can't be heard (besides I want a 212 cab instead of a 412 to prevent it from being too loud)

thank you

·
Premium Member
13,249 Posts
What type of 'loud' music???

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of alternative rock. No high gain is needed but I'd love a good driven and a good clean sound. I loved a vox ac 30 a tried some time ago. The only amp ever that's completely impressed me. To be honest, I don't know which would be more important, the clean or the driven tones since I love both. I'm currently considering a Mesa Boogie 0.5 caliber+ and a Carvin Legacy since I've seen both on craigslist recently and they may still be for sale.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
At least CHECK OUT a marshall dsl50...its the head I have and its plenty loud, sounds great, and yeah you can find them lightly used now for VERY cheap...only like 600-800$

Definately check it out, dont let the naysayers discourage you, because I tell you, this head is definately suited to heavy music and still, the one channel does vintage type tones well too.

GO FOR IT!

If anybody here says this head sucks, well, its probably because they are a nerd or something... :)

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
A used Peavey classic 30 or 50 head would cover most of what ouy're describing. Used DSL or TSL heads are often very good deals as well. A used (old time) traynor head would be a good option as well if you don't need too much gain, or you could put a pedal in front of it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unfortunately, I've seen quite a few combos (212) but I have yet to see a vox ac30 head for sale.

Does anyone have any experience with the mesa boogie 50 cal+ or the carvin legacy. I searched the forums and found some good stuff about the legacy but is there anyone that could tell me how they compare? I have a friend willing to sell me a legacy head for $600 and I can get a 50 cal+ for about $500. Which would be a better deal. To be honest, the absolutely primary concern is reliability at this point. I remember reading here that Mesas are a pain to service but I'm guessing Carvins aren't much better either. I'm also thinking the Legacy would be more suitable for classic rock stuff. I realize it has a more modern tone but I believe I could make it work for the classic rock "marshall" type tone too.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Carvin Legacy ****in' rips dude, $600 is a steal IMO. Grab it while you can!

That and the Peavey Ultra are easily the best high gain tube amps for the money. The only problem is finding them in Canada, most on eBay are in the US which you'd have to add in the mad fees. When you do see them on eBay, more often then not, people will snatch it within hours of it being posted (as long as there is a 'Buy it Now').

Of course just 'cause they're high gain doesn't mean you have to use them with a ton of gain. Just ask Steve Vai!

If you want to go new check out the Laney GH50L. I think it's like $975 though but it's fantastic... one channel but if you roll back the volume on your guitar it cleans up very nicely. I'm gonna' be buying it's 2 channel version (Laney VH100R) either this or next month... costs like $1600 though.

·
Premium Member
17,909 Posts
maybe i missed it, but why do you need a head?

$5 says a nice 112 or 212 tube combo would do you just fine (mesa rectoverb, marshall JCM800 combo, traynor YCV50)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe i missed it, but why do you need a head?

$5 says a nice 112 or 212 tube combo would do you just fine (mesa rectoverb, marshall JCM800 combo, traynor YCV50)
Like I said, the band plays really really loud. I'm pretty sure a 112 wouldn't do it. A 212 would but I'd rather have a 212 cab and a head cause it's easier to transport and I have the option of getting a better head to use with the same cab in the more distant future. The other guitarist plays through a 412 cab so it's not easy to keep up volume-wise. Tube combos are heavy so for convenience sake I'd rather have a 50 pound head and a cab rather than a 100 pound 212 combo.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Marshall JCM900's can be found cheap sometimes and are good gain amps.

·
Premium Member
13,249 Posts
If you like the Vox Sound, then I don't see why you settle for anything less. There are also a number of Voxish amps out there (take time and do a search). If you need something soon, then get something like a Peavey 30 Head. NOt too expensive and it should be easy to move once you find Your Voxy type amp.

Also what type of speakers were in the ACC30 you tried.

·
Premium Member
17,909 Posts
number of speakers doesnt dictate volume - put a mesa mark IV next to his halfstack and you'd probably swallow him whole.

AC30 head and an avatar 212 then, if that's what you're set on.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
number of speakers doesnt dictate volume - put a mesa mark IV next to his halfstack and you'd probably swallow him whole.
Really? I started thinking this way after I tried a traynor CV50 a long time ago in a guitar shop and I was surprised how quiet it was even when dimed. At the time I had a solid state 100watt Randall 212 combo that was much louder than the cv50 so I assumed that since tubes are generally louder than solid state, that the extra speaker made the difference.

In my current band I'm pretty sure the CV50 would be dimed 100% of the time.

Also what type of speakers were in the ACC30 you tried.
you know, I actually forgot to check! :( I can tell you it was $1000CAD for the 212 combo (it was the Top Boost model). I also only tried it out at VERY low volumes so I'm still not 100% sure I'd like it for what I need. You see, I'm kind of torn between sounds if you will. I know the Legacy will be able to handle the harder stuff without a pedal better than the vox but the vox clean to me is just heavenly. I've tried a twin before and I like the vox clean much better. I'm thinking of going to see if I can rent a head from L&M

Also, would a 30watt amp (vox for example) with a 212 be able to keep up to a halfstack? I assumed that since the other guy plays a 412, I'd need either a 412 myself or a 212 with a higher wattage amp. Was I correct in thinking this? This is why I was so interested in that Legacy amp

·
Registered
97 Posts
30 watts will not compete with 100 watts,if he has a 50watt head then you should be fine,i would recommend a 50 watt head for practice and gigs

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yeah, I'd go with either a Traynor or the Legacy (I want one of those bad...Too bad I gotta wait until I'm back in Canada).

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
the vox at 30 watts is loud enough to keep up with a heavy hitting drummer, but that's about it. i consider it perfect (i play an ac30 combo), but then i also do sound, and cant stand runaway volumes. for a more powerful "poor mans" vox, the peavey classic 50 head is a good choice, it uses the same output tubes, and has some of that wonderful vox chime (for a reasonable price). you can also find used vox ac100 heads that are much more powerful, but i haven't heard them myself (they're not common), so i can't comment on the tone. the laney heads are also british, and have that nice tone on a budget. the laney tt models are more british metal, the gh stuff is more marshall/vox cross. used they are quite cheap, so you can afford one. marshall is a great dirty channel, but most people find they're not the best in the clean department. you could always try an older fender tube head, too. if you want my unsolicited 2 cents worth, tell the other guitar player to turn down a little, you'll sound better if you can all hear each other.

as to cabs, it's confusing, the impedance numbers, i know. basically you'll see mostly 8 and 16 ohm cabinets, and most heads will match that. you want to make sure though that what you buy will work together. next time you're at the jam spot, check the Marshall cabs (they're most likely 8 ohm mono and 16 ohm stereo. since you won't be running two heads on the cab, it'll be 8 ohms), and when you buy a head look at the back (there should be lightning bolts next to the power outs) for what impedances the head can run. impedance numbers go down when impedance goes up (4 ohms is a higher impedance than 8 ohms)... you can safely run an 8 ohm amp at 16 ohms all day long (wont sound its full 100% best though), but i don't recommend going the other way.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts