The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey, Another South Paw.

Very nice stuff. Tell us more about your equiment. 60's lefty anything is rare. Your a lucky guy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Another southpaw here. Nice stuff. I have a few Traynors myself. Those nameplates are interesting. Don't remember that style at all. Do you have an idea of the age of your amps?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Big B and Custom Special were purchased back in 1968 or 1969 in Toronto.

The stacked amp are two traynor 4 x 10 speaker cabs which were once different sized cabinets manufactured in different years. Traynor use to change the shape and dimension of their cabs and heads every so often and they still do.

The top cabinet was built in the early 80’s like a Marshall slanted cab and the other cab was a thinner Traynor cab that I purchased back in the early 90's from L&M in Edmonton. One of those steel meshed front cabinets that weighted about 50lbs.

I had a carpenter build me a bottom cabinet to match the top cabinet in dimensions and we covered the cab in black leatherette. I also purchased new grille cloth from Songbird in Toronto and had a local firm stretch and fit the grille clothe for me.

The Custom Special head on the stack was purchased from someone in the U.S. off of E-Bay about 6 years ago. I don’t know the ago of the head but it was before Traynor introduced a master volume control on the YBA-3.

I manufactured my own name plates with the help of a local welding company (steel plates) and a graphics arts house for the traynor name. The nameplates will last forever.

Both amps kick serious ass on stage, the power coming out of either amp is phenomenal.
There is nothing like a tubed bass amp for that warm bass sound. As far as I’m concerned it beats all of the non-tubed bass amps I have ever plugged into.

I had the opportunity of playing through an ampeg with an 8x10 cabinet for a gig, that also produces a warm bass sound. As I tell my guitar player, you don’t hear the bass, you feel the bass, and he's walked over to my side of the stage on a number of ocassions during a gig to get his pant legs and arse blown away.

What else, I bought the Hofner in 1965, the Gibson in 1967
The fenders basses came later, as did the strat and the SG.

Highway

·
Registered
196 Posts
Those are sweat! The bass player and I play old Traynor stuff exclusively, and it is the [email protected]! I'd love to plug my SG into those and kill some people.

Vintage Traynor stuff is the best, but I hate talking about it, simply because it's only a matter of time before I won't be able to afford it anymore!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
wow, great pics....those old tube traynors are the shizznit!!

dig the big B cab too :banana:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts