The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
cant stand that music so even if a one year old in diapers was playing the notes I would still only be able to hear about ten seconds...
G.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Basically, the girls have learned how to follow the dots on some king of Guitar Hero game.
My younger son is also very good at doing that. I have heard him play Rush stuff and was amazed.
Can my son play 3 notes together without looking at the dots?
If you dont know the answer to that question, I don't think I can help you.
G.

@GTmaker Even if the genre of music holds no enjoyment for you, are you not impressed with the playing?

Maybe some RUSH will be more to your liking?

·
Premium Member
17,602 Posts
My younger son is also very good at doing that. I have heard him play Rush stuff and was amazed.
If your son practiced with the dots and then later played with a backing track (and no dots/screen), could he not "learn" the song form purely a rote/mechanical perspective?
Is it not somewhat similar to using "tab" to learn a song?

I don't think I can help you.
Please try to help me to understand how this could not be used a some sort of learning tool.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
other then maybe a good finger exercise on the instrument, I can tell you that from what I have seen, this type of playing does not translate to anything you know as being musical.
G.

If your son practiced with the dots and then later played with a backing track (and no dots/screen), could he not "learn" the song form purely a rote/mechanical perspective?
Please try to help me to understand how this could not be used a some sort of learning tool.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
thanks for posting the "live" solo portion....pretty well proves my point.
Im surprised she didn't do any Rush.... would of been nice to see.
G.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
She can play guitar and the singer has "it".

I love the kid's singing,she's a natural .

@GTmaker Even if the genre of music holds no enjoyment for you, are you not impressed with the playing?

Maybe some RUSH will be more to your liking?
I had to give my head a shake,the guitar player played the Judas Priest tune right handed,and the Rush tune left handed.

Basically, the girls have learned how to follow the dots on some king of Guitar Hero game.
G.
They are using real instruments ,not a game controller.
I don't know anything about Rocksmith,but it's obviously a step well beyond Guitar Hero.To say these girls aren't learning to play is just ridiculous.
She's playing most of the Judas Priest song without looking at any screen,but since you didn't watch it ,you wouldn't know that.
Who cares how they were inspired to pick up a guitar ,this 9y/o girl is nailing some Geddy Lee bass parts and her 14 y/o sister is playing both right and left handed.
They are awesome kids.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
haven't seen these responses so here is my update.

First, Greco posts a highlight video that included a very small portion of a "live" performance. Kinda proved my point I think.
Now there is this revelation.
"I had to give my head a shake,the guitar player played the Judas Priest tune right handed,and the Rush tune left handed."
Do you not think that this is another major clue that what these girls are doing has nothing to do with playing music.?
G.
I wonder if someone asked Alex Lifeson to play one of his solos left handed what he would say?
He might answer " go see Audrey, she seems to have no problem doing that" ...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whether or not they retain their guitar skills playing rocksmith is irrelevant IMO.
They're having fun.
Being ambidextrous on guitar is pretty impressive to me.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
haven't seen these responses so here is my update.

First, Greco posts a highlight video that included a very small portion of a "live" performance. Kinda proved my point I think.
Now there is this revelation.
"I had to give my head a shake,the guitar player played the Judas Priest tune right handed,and the Rush tune left handed."
Do you not think that this is another major clue that what these girls are doing has nothing to do with playing music.?
G.
Here's my update .

She's playing live.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only other guitar player I have heard of that didn't seem to care if they were playing right or left handed was Hendrix.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
There’s so much going on in this screen. Are they having fun? Because I think that’s all that really matter.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts

To further prove your point, Isn't music notation just dots and lines on a sheet of paper instead of a screen?
These girls are clearly learning and having fun doing it! I've never had the patience to learn all of Priest's painkiller so they earned my respect for that one.

Iirc when I was learning guitar at 13-14 I was playing much easier stuff, nirvana/gnr(sans solos)/smashing pumpkins etc.

Reactions: greco
1 - 20 of 27 Posts