The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new issue of Vintage Guitar arrived last week, and I see there are 4 somewhat consecutive guitar shows.

Sept. 22 - Calgary
Sept. 23 - Edmonton
Sept. 29 - Regina
Sept. 30 - Saskatoon

This is starting to feel like there's one big bus, with a semi-truck trailing behind, with the same exhibitors travelling together from town to town like one of those 1960's Dick Clark revues.

In any event,something for just about everyone, although I see the Manitoba one has to wait another 5-6 weeks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am one of the guys behind the 4 shows above . we used to do the the Sask shows in the spring but we changed our strategy. Be cool to have a big bus with a trailer but sadly we are working dudes with weekends to do this kind of stuff. Its a hobby only ( but a lot of work and fun ).

We talked about Winnipeg but its a long journey . Right now one of us in Edmonton and another in Regina so its pretty tough to do from a distance when you don't know the community well.. While Edmonton and Calgary have been relatively simple to put together with lots of vendors and attendees, its been a struggle to attract local vendors in the Saskatchewan markets . Mostly out of province vendors which is a bit disheartening . i hope we get more locals on board . There are lots of talented folks and avid guitar geeks out there .

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am one of the guys behind the 4 shows above . we used to do the the Sask shows in the spring but we changed our strategy. Be cool to have a big bus with a trailer but sadly we are working dudes with weekends to do this kind of stuff. Its a hobby only ( but a lot of work and fun ).

We talked about Winnipeg but its a long journey . Right now one of us in Edmonton and another in Regina so its pretty tough to do from a distance when you don't know the community well.. While Edmonton and Calgary have been relatively simple to put together with lots of vendors and attendees, its been a struggle to attract local vendors in the Saskatchewan markets . Mostly out of province vendors which is a bit disheartening . i hope we get more locals on board . There are lots of talented folks and avid guitar geeks out there .
I was actually asking about the show at L&M today and surprisingly nobody knew anything about it. kind of disappointing considering in Stoon they're our biggest store.

·
Registered
171 Posts
L and M is uninterested in these shows. we have tried. They will not put up posters in their stores either . That being said , Dan from the Regina store did have a booth for his own collection a couple years back.

we would be happy to have them take part or even their distribution side , Yorkville who does the Land M brands as well as Gibson. If they don't know about the shows in saskatchewan they are not paying attention . The guys that i know at a couple L and M shows in edmonton are very aware .

we have been running ads on Kijiji for over 3 months advertising for both vendors and inviting folks to come check out the shows. We have also been running focused FB ads and have reached 40k worth of potential folks .

We have alberta vendors, music stores from Regina and PA, builders from rural saskatchewan . a few of the distributors who L and M deal with have been in our alberta shows the past 3 years .

They have a model and we respect it . My opinion is an industry always improves or stays strong when more folks are waving the flag. I'm waving the flag for all the builders, stores, ,collectors , etc. This is a hobby for us as we all have day jobs . We are guitar enthusiasts who just want to connect to others in the business and promote the different sides of the guitar music business. There are a ton of talented folks out there that don't have the marketing budgets of the L and M's of the world. L and M is a good company with plenty to offer but there are many independent dealers, collectors, builders, and store with plenty to offer as well.

its good if the business is successful as a community . Thats part of our goals for what its worth.

my 2 cents .

GM

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
I know I saw a local Long & McQuade employee at the show.
He's been there for years.
And then there are other L&M employees who might have gone if they weren't working or other stuff like that.
But it would be nice to have a local store more involved here, now that Axe is gone locally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts