The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I have this song that I have been playing for about 4 years. There is one little bitch of a riff that I can't still get on a consistent basis. It's an AC/DC song but you already knew that. lol It's the opening riff. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe not this particular song but something else?

I have isolated this riff and practiced over and over and over. I still keep trying. Who knows, it just may happen one day.

@0:43 is the example. That stupid little easy peasy riff. I shake my head.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love Carl's lessons. I don't really need a lesson. My fingers know where to go but it's getting everything in sync. I am befuddled.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Keep practicing. One of these days, it will all fall in place. You've no doubt see this happen with other riffs, songs in the past.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep practicing. One of these days, it will all fall in place. You've no doubt see this happen with other riffs, songs in the past.
I have but I was able to conquer the few that I couldn't get in a very short time period not 4 years! WTF

L

·
0 Posts
I have but I was able to conquer the few that I couldn't get in a very short time period not 4 years! WTF
4 years!? Yeah, what the heck, might as well toss in the towel and move onto another song already.:rolleyes:

As steadly points out .. perseverance. It'll eventually kick in and that 'eureka!' moment will feel great.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Play the lick very slow to start and work from there. It'll come along.

Edit: That's how I learn, then I'll leave it alone for a few days and come back to it again.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
if you can't make it that means that you learnt it incorrectly and your fingers are stumbling on the same issues over and over again.
You will have to relearn it in a way that will make it possible. It is really hard to relearn something - but you will have to.
Start extremely slowly with the metronome and see if you can optimize some finger movements. Once when it feels comfortable, start increasing tempo.
So let say the slowest 40bpm you play effortlessly 10 times in a row without an error,
then increase speed to 45bpm and again 10 times in a row effortlessly without an error.

Once when you start getting the errors you stop at that tempo let say it is 60bpm.
Then analyze again where is the error and why is t happening.
Then start all over again with 50bpm and start increasing by 2 instead of 5 until is effortlessly.
Once when you play 10 times in a row without error, increase by 2 etc.

Time numbers - you will have to figure out which are correct for you.
The most important thing is as soon as you start hitting errors, you have to stop and back out. If you are making errors - that means you are learning errors and don't do that

As Jeff Scheetz is saying (True fire courses):
Practice smart, play hard.

yours truly
Bojan

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
{Hackney accent} Yea, but e's playing at on a propa guitar now, i'n e? {/Hackney accent}

Sorry, just got finished Series 2 of Peaky Blinders. Everything sounds better like that. LOL

Reactions: davetcan

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Don't you mean 'you wanker'? :D
You see! Yous Canucks really have no idea of the nuance of the English language, innit?!

Plonker = light hearted jibe equivalent to' fool' in a cheeky way.

Wanker = really bad insult such as 'fucking cocksucking asshole'

Y'see??

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
Practice it slowly over and over again. Can't play it fast if you can't play it slow.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
You see! Yous Canucks really have no idea of the nuance of the English language, innit?!

Plonker = light hearted jibe equivalent to' fool' in a cheeky way.

Wanker = really bad insult such as 'fucking cocksucking asshole'

Y'see??
Yep, ah doo.

I enjoy English slang but probably misunderstand over 50% of it. Especially that bloody rhyme slang, which is just so far over my head. You probably have to be immersed in that from birth to get it.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I find sometimes I have more success putting a frustrating riff aside for a few months. Often, when I return to it, somewhere along the way, I've learned a skill that makes it easier and when I try it again...bang, I've got it.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have a lot of trouble with AC/DC myself. I can do a respectable job of it in terms of playing it at bars where the average punter won't know the difference, but when I listen back to the album tracks, I feel like I'm way off.

Angus has a weird sense of rhythm and timing, I find. When I'm playing something like Jailbreak, Back in Black, the solo in You Shook Me, etc. I feel like my hands want to play it a certain way and Angus is playing it completely differently.

It's a matter of breaking-it-down in a way that makes sense to you and learning the riffs, solos, etc. in small chunks. Don't try to learn the whole thing all at once, go bar-by-bar, or note-by-note if you have to.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I take it you are talking about the little E minor run down and the bend. I don't have it right either I just noticed the other day when I was listening to a tape of me playing it. I play it slightly different than the books though.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts