The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

A beginner with some a couple questions.

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  traynor_garnet 
#1 ·
Hey I"m new here :D

I've been looking for an affordable les paul that has a tremolo and this is the only thing I came across. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ric-Guitar-with-Floyd-Rose-Tremolo?sku=519398

I came upon a couple questions when I looked at this.

How does Epiphone's les pauls compare to Gibson's les paul? or to other guitars at the same price range?

I noticed the pickups for this one is different than the other les pauls. This one has like 2 strips with dots on them (I don't know any terminology, I"m a new guitar player :(). The other ones have like a .... piece of plate.

What are the differences? Which one is "better"?
Do gold pickups preform differently compare to the silver ones?

And.... Would you guys recommend this guitar? If not... I also looked at Epiphone Les Paul Custom, which is $100 more. How is that one compared to this one?

Oh actually one more question...

I've been using my dad's guitar, it's also an epiphone... But I have no idea what model it is. I can't find it anywhere. Can you guys take a look for me?
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/9161/dscn0760qt4.jpg

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Gibson and epiphone are made from the same company just different brands...but Gibsons do tend to sound and perform better...but with that the price skyrockets....

If you are looking for a metal, alternete picking kind of guitar do not go with the les pauls cause they have a hgh bridge where your hand will rest...but ya so they are really nice sounding guitars and you get what you paid for

Get the Epiphone..because you are a biggener

#3 ·
My only other suggestion is to look at Rondo (rondomusic.net). They have a few Les Paul style guitars with tremolos I think. The Agile line is on par quality wise with Epiphone, and a lot less money in a lot of cases. Here is one they have for $279 US http://www.rondomusic.net/al2500blkfloydrose.html . And that comes with an actual Floyd Rose on it, plus grover tuners. They also have models with Bigsby style tremolos on them.

When it comes to Gibson vs. Epiphone, Gibson uses better woods, better hardware, better electronics. And you pay for it. In my opinion even a lot of Epiphone guitars are overpriced when you see what a lot of other Asian made Les Paul style guitars (like the ones at Rondo) sell for.

#5 ·
I have to agree. IMO the only trem that should be on a Les Paul is a Bigsby.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply everyone.

Since I'm still a beginner, I'm not set on any genre of music I would like to play with. I like how the les pauls look, and since my dad's guitar doesn't have a tremolo.... I thought it'll be a good thing to have a les paul that has a tremolo.

Since my dad bought an epiphone, he'll trust this brand more. So an epiphone les paul would be great.

About my dad's guitar, I googled what elindso mentioned and I came up with this.
http://www.everythingsg.com/old_epi.htm

That decides it, my dad's guitar is an Epiphone Crestwood ET-290 made in Japan 1976-1979 at $250 US

That solves my mystery. (I wish the guitar was more expensive lol)

#8 ·
my (limited) experience is that lower end guitars (such as the epiphone you're looking at) tend to have crappy tremolos that make the guitar go out of tune every time you use it. as a result of this you won't be using it much so there's no point in looking for a guitar that has one. epiphones aren't bad (I have a les paul standard myself) ,but I would suggest finding a used one in your area. also, check out the online reviews for wahtever guitar you're looking for. the opinions on tone are subjective but check if the gutars tend to have serious problems and reliability issues.

#10 ·
elindso said:
The vibrato on my strat knocks it out of tune when ever I use it. So I don't:wink:
This is exactly what happened with my (Hondo) Strat copy.
Since then I've never bought another guitar with a trem.

But every so often I get the Hondo out and make dive-bomb noises for half an hour or so.

Neosakai: If you are just learning, I'd suggest holding off on the trem-equipped guitar for a while. Just go down to the guitar store and use theirs! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.