The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried this on another forum, and got absolutely no feedback, maybe it is a bit of a stretch, I dunno, but I have had worse ideas :wave: anyways, I am not looking for a cab with a speaker, I'll do the cab myself. Just looking for a 15 incher that might compliment a v30 cab, but providing a little a bigger bottom end, with out getting into any subs or any thing. Not looking to make rap here, just some bigger thump. If that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I don't think you need it...get a 412. Guitar players have been getting thump form 12's for decades and 15's will sound fine when you're by yorself but only serve to take up your bass players sonic mojo with a band. That's my .02. Perhaps the reason you haven't gotten much feedback is because almost no one uses 15's for guitar.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TimH said:
I don't think you need it...get a 412. Guitar players have been getting thump form 12's for decades and 15's will sound fine when you're by yorself but only serve to take up your bass players sonic mojo with a band. That's my .02. Perhaps the reason you haven't gotten much feedback is because almost no one uses 15's for guitar.
Thanks Tim,

The only real, 15 incher that came to mind for me was the 2x15 Randall cabs, so I know they are not real common, but none the less it was just one of my wild hairs :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
I kind of dig the vibroverb custom with it's 15" speaker; really smooth highs. I wouldn't say it added bottom end though. more like it loosened the bass, which I didnt like.

also, I agree that you are into the bass player's turf and it can sound pretty garbled in a band situation

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I used to use a Fender Bandmaster head with a 4x12 Traynor top and a single 15" bottom cabinet. They were both run paralell on the same output and I loved it.

The bottom end had a nice growl to it that you don't get from 12's. Dropping the bottom cabinet and just going with the 4x12 never got me anywhere close to the bottom end clarity that I got from the 15. Running just the 15" cabinet on it's own was tragic though, it was kind of an all or nothing thing.

No one ever mic'ed both cabinets though, the 4x12 was always mic'ed so it was pretty much for my own personal enjoyment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts