The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im selling my current amp and am looking at perhaps a 2204...ive always wanted a JCM800, and 100W is WAY overkill for me...
My one band doesnt need a lot of gain, so its not a worry, but my second band can get into gain levels in the likes of shinedown and Alice in Chains...
Ive never played a 2204, but i dont think it has that in it...would a pedal get me there, or, should i be looking at a hot rod clone...maybe a ceriatone yeti, or maybe even that splawn for sale on here...
Ive thought about a single recto as well...but i dunno...i like single channel amps
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
1) a pedal will get you there
2) a 2204 will be *marginally quieter* than a 2203. You want something with a good master volume, and @adcandour can attest that a 2204 is not that amp.

If you can't rock a loud amp, I'd look a different marshall.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Loud isnt so much an issue...but id 'heard' that the 2203 doesnt get gainy like the 2204 until its pushed higher...
I play a 50W now around the halfway mark on the volume...
But..thank you @Budda i dont mind another pedal to help me get there...would it need to be a boost or dirt pedal?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I own two 2204s right now and have owned at least five 2203s over the years. The gain levels on them is 100% "classic rock" levels - think 70's Aerosmith and stuff like that. To get to the next level you need a pedal but, and it's a big BUT... They sound AMAZING boosted with an SD-1 or something like that. The can easily do modern high-gain tones boosted and they cut through the mix like a razor.

If I was you I'd jump all over that Splawn. You get all that Marshall-goodness in a more modern amp with an effects loop and some voicing/gain options. A single Recto is also an awesome amp (based on the Soldano SLO, from what I've read). That will give you two channels and a solo boost and an effects loop. I've owned a few of those over the years and always got compliments on my tone.

A sort of "under the radar" option is a Marshall DSL 100. The "Lead 1" channel, EQ'd properly, will give you a great modded JCM 800 sound (You'd need a pedal to boost your leads a bit if you shred). They sound amazing though a greenback loaded cab and, huge bonus, they are cheap too! If you have any specific questions about the 800s send me a PM - happy to chat about them.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha..now im torn...a single recto will run me 800 on the used market...but ive got the boosts for a 2204

·
Premium Member
8,943 Posts
SD1 is definitely a great booster, volume up gain relatively low, tone to taste. You could use an OCD similarly for a bit more gain I bet. An EQ in the loop if you want to fatten up your low mids some.

Always wanted a Splawn, and it would do AIC in spades.

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
[QUOTE="ezcomes, post: 1667281, member: 3800".would it need to be a boost or dirt pedal?[/QUOTE]

It depends on how much more dirt you want out of it. SD-1 into an 800 is Bay Area Thrash (80's anthrax and testament) to my knowledge, though I haven't tried it out yet. Really, any pedal that's going to push the preamp will get you more saturation and compression. Don't rule out an EQ pedal to do this as well.

I can't speak to a DSL100 doing JCM800 tones (wouldnt be shocked) but I can tell you it does modern marshall gain well. I'd still nab a 2203/2204 if I could though haha.

·
Registered
143 Posts
With the DSL you use the "Lead 1" channel with the gain low - on around 4 or 5 with the presence and treble almost "off". Sounds like a fatter, gained up JCM 800. Just add a boost pedal for leads and you are there. I was hipped to the DSL by Nuno Bettencourt who uses one for all their live shows (he has his signature Randall heads and cabs on the stage but there is a DSL in the back... shhhhhh) He runs his with a RAT pedal out front with the gain low and the level up high. Sounds awesome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts