The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an all mahogany guitar and was wondering if anyone has tried 80/20 bronze strings on such an instrument?

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
There is no consistent answer to this question-each guitar is different and you have to experiment with all kinds of strings to determine what you like the best.

When I used to own a Martin D15 M Burst the best strings for that guitar were the Martin Monel strings-when I tried them on my Larrivee L 05 I could not wait to remove them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, I usually try at least 4-6 different strings before deciding on which I like best for each guitar.I have tried the monels as well as darrdario nickle bronze and right now I have Giubson PB lights on the hog.I too have put strings on my Yamaha LL16 and took them off again within an hour.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While each guitar IS different, generally to my ears phosphor works better on mahogany guitars - can roll off a little of the brightness or
"brassiness" that some hog guitars can have...
YMMV...

·
Registered
208 Posts
While each guitar IS different, generally to my ears phosphor works better on mahogany guitars - can roll off a little of the brightness or
"brassiness" that some hog guitars can have...
YMMV...
I’d have to agree as Elixir phosphor bronze sound (and feel) terrific on my mahogany Martin (back and side - not top). But again, some people love ketchup on their hotdog. Others, only mustard.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I only have two "hog" guitars, a Gibson J45 and a Martin D18. Both of them sound their best to my ears with Elixir phosphor bronze nanoweb lights. I've tried 80/20s on both of them but I'm not a fan of the sound or response of 80/20s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts