The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a speaker replacement for my Allen Accomplice. I'm considering putting a Celestion Gold in it. It has an ohm tap and supports 8 ohm or 16 ohm. Is there an advantage to one over the other? Tone? Some other reason or doesn't matter?
I'm not quite sure that I'll go with the gold. Right now the amp has a Celestion G12V-70 which is the stock speaker from the 68 custom deluxe. I'm looking for something with bigger bottom end and give me a bit more volume for more perceived clean headroom
And if anyone knows how much depth I'd need in the cabinet for the gold to fit would be helpful as well.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
No advantage assuming tube amp with both 8 and 16 ohm output taps and you are using the appropriate one. .. I suppose it would be a minor advantage that if you use 16 ohm, you could get a second 16 ohm cab and use the 8 Ohm tap - if you have an 8 but no 4Ohm tap on your amp, you're stuck with just the one cab.

With solid state amps, where there is no OT*, and therefore no separate load taps for different loads you will loose wattage with a higher impedence.

*Some early era SS amps actually had OTs; different animal.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No advantage assuming tube amp with both 8 and 16 ohm output taps and you are using the appropriate one. With solid state amps, where there is no OT*, and therefore no seperate load taps for different loads you will loose wattage with a higher impedence.

Some early eara ss amps actually had OTs; different animal.
The accomplice can be run with 6V6 or 6L6 I have it runing with 6L6. Its been explained to me that if you use an 8ohm speaker the amp will see 4 ohms. If you use a 16 ohm speaker it will see 80hms. So basically I'm running the amp as either 4 ohm or 8 ohm depending on whether I'm running it with a single 8 ohm or 16 ohm. I don't understand why it works this way. Something to do with the fact that it supports 6v6 and 6l6.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dunno anything about that.
From David Allen:

"6L6s like a plate load impedance of around 4,000 ohms while 6V6s like a plate load impedance about twice that or 8,000 ohms. So by doubling the speaker load connected to the secondary of the OT, we reflect twice the impedance to the primary as the OT is just a constant "voltage ratio" and "impedance ratio" device. So on the Accomplice, there is a 4 and 8 ohm setting with 6L6s and an 8 and 16 ohm setting with 6V6s. Luckily it works out that there is a switch position for an 8 ohm speaker load for both types of power tubes. It is almost like the impedance switch is a power tube selector for an 8 ohm speaker load.
Hope that helps.
There is just one switch in the back marked 4\8 and 8\16. For me if being that i have 6L6 tubes I use the 4\8 setting. The amp is seeing 4 ohms.
Anyway I was just curious if I bought an 8 ohm speaker running the amp at 4 ohms if there is some kind of advantage such as does the amp run hotter, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
OK, so assuming you are saying an actual 8 ohm speaker into the 6L6 4ohm setting vs the correct 6L6 8 Ohm setting, there is no advantage - in fact in such a case you are losing wattage due to the upward mismatch and only stressing the amp (should be fine, but sub-optimal - there is only a minor chance of damaging the amp with long term use like this).

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so assuming you are saying an actual 8 ohm speaker into the 6L6 4ohm setting vs the correct 6L6 8 Ohm setting, there is no advantage - in fact in such a case you are losing wattage due to the upward mismatch and only stressing the amp (should be fine, but sub-optimal - there is only a minor chance of damaging the amp with long term use like this).
If this is how David Allen designed it how could it be damaging to the amp?

This is what they are saying over at this link with some confirmation from Allen. There's more explanation there but I don't understand the tech speak. I'm really just looking for guidance on whether to buy the 8 ohm or 16 ohm version of a speaker and if it really makes any difference.

The Accomplice has a speaker ohm selector that lets you use the 4 or 8 ohm OT taps, when using 6L6's you switch to the 4 ohm setting and use with the 8 ohm speaker so that the 6L6's are seeing 4K.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/replacing-6v6s-in-an-allen-accomplice-with-6l6s.409689/

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
That remark quoted from the gear page is confusing the issue and incorrect.
The confusion arises from flipping back and forth from the perspective of using 6V6 or 6L6. David Allen has already compensated for this by putting labeling for both types on the amp impedance selector. Use the appropriate labeling for the tubes in use and you will be good.

It would be best to stick with the other thread on this topic here: https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/just-need-confirmation.226634/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts