The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's almost 30 years old so it's almost vintage. In my opinion at least.
According to many, it's an overweight, 3-bolt , thick skin, micro-tilt piece of Fender trash.
In my opinion, it's my first real guitar, bought new in 1978 in Helsinki, used during my pro years and still all original. Sounds fantastic and never gave me any problems. Since it's the only "vintage" guitar I have, here it is:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yep usual piece of fender trash....:D lovely!!!!

I bought a seventies american re issue strat body, black with the three bolt neck and micro tilt. Presently I have a squier strat neck adapted to it and loaded with the custom shop 69 pups, american vintage trem bridge and it sounds great and plays real nice.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Great looking vintage guitar.

I don't buy into the anti-70s camps of Fender and Gibson. Lots of great guitars to be had from that era.

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
Looks great and sounds great. What more could you ask for. I've seen good and bad Strats (or anything else for that matter) from all decades, I also don't buy into that whole '70's bullshit. (if you'll pardon my language).

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
How heavy is it??

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
I had a '79 Strat at one time with the translucent red finish. It was a really nice player, but weighed a ton so I got rid of it. Bought it for $300.00 in 1986 and sold it for $1200.00 in the early 90's, so it was a good investment.

I've had 2 or 3 nice 70's Fenders over the years..

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10 lbs, 8 oz.
This is the first time I'm checking its weight. Sounds like it's heavy but I never felt it when playing.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
YaReMi said:
10 lbs, 8 oz.
This is the first time I'm checking its weight. Sounds like it's heavy but I never felt it when playing.

That was a sometime complaint about the late 70s Strats. Heavier than a LP. Not what someone is looking for in a Strat.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Yerffej said:
what are the extra holes near the bridge?
Those holes were probably for a Roland synth pickup from the previous owner. Nice guitar! Hang on to it. They are shooting through the roof pricewise.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's neat. I don't care if alot of those era Fenders are trash, and most people don't seem to either based on the prices they are fetching now, and they will only continue to rise. I have been pondering getting one myself while the prices are still fairly reasonable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey man, nice strat....It's good you like it and are going to hang on to it. I wouldn't worry about what other people say about "your" guitar, or ones like it. They're not playing it or buying it, so why judge it?

I know what you mean re: heavy guitars and not noticing it when you play it. My Ibanez artist weighs almost 12 lbs, once you start playing, you never notice, other than the tone and sustain.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dang it! Now I REALLY want one and have fallen in love with one I found on Gbase, but I have no money!

GAS!!!!

None
I eventually bought one, I think it's the same one I mentioned was on gbase in my earlier post. A '79 sunburst maple neck hardtail. I got it for only $1750, too. :D

Damn thing is stuck in customs at the moment, so I won't see it until sometime next week.

My 'new' Strat

:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I eventually bought one, I think it's the same one I mentioned was on gbase in my earlier post. A '79 sunburst maple neck hardtail. I got it for only $1750, too. :D

Damn thing is stuck in customs at the moment, so I won't see it until sometime next week.

My 'new' Strat

:rockon2:
Now that is a beautiful looking Strat! Congrats on the purchase. I'll bet it plays as nice as it look's...I think I have GAS pains again.

L

·
0 Posts
Nice strat. Don't see too many hard tails.
Friend of mine has a '73 (first year with
the micro-tilt I believe). It does feel heavier
than yer average strat, but the sound and feel
is not the avg strat either. The bullet truss nut
is pretty unique too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts