The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I got this 70's El Degas Les Paul Copy a few months back and know nothing about it. I did some googling and ended up here. It says Made in Japan on the Neck Plate but no serial no. or anything else visible.

Does anyone know what these are worth?

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
Welcome to the GC forum!!
Hope you enjoy all that it has to offer.

You will need to use something to "host" your pics (photobucket, Imgur, etc).
You must pay to be a member here in order to post pics directly form your computer.

If you can't get the pics to show, send me a PM/"Conversation" and I'll give you my email and you can send them to me as attachments for me to post for you.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok. Got the pics figured out. If anyone knows anything about these and how much they are worth I would appreciate it!

I got this thing for free :) I expected it to be a piece of crap, but was nicely surprised when I plugged it in and played it. The fret board is really nice and the pick ups sound pretty cool. Way different sound than my SG so I was quite happy.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Ahhh...guitar of my youth,saw lots of them.
They were/are a decent playing instrument,some better than others , like anything.
A good one...ie neck/frets , can be a great player that may benefit from a wiring/pick-up swap..but that is a personal choice.

I have no idea about monetary value ,just play it .:cool:
Never actually saw a white one...looks good !

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
Man, that is in good shape. Nice pick up. There is one on eBay right now selling for $262.00 CDN.

Reactions: KWJolin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, that is in good shape. Nice pick up. The is one on eBay right now selling for $262.00 CDN.
That one says custom. Has gold hardware instead of chrome. I think thats a step up from the model I have. I just wanted to have an idea before I do any work to it. Has some bad fret buzz right now so that will be first!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
That one says custom. Has gold hardware instead of chrome. I think thats a step up from the model I have. I just wanted to have an idea before I do any work to it. Has some bad fret buzz right now so that will be first!
Colour of hardware means F/A in the scheme of things
First step is determining the cause of the fret buzz, could be a high fret some where ... does the buzz occur above or below a certain fret ?
could be a low cut nut ... does it buzz on open strings ?
or it could be just a matter of neck relief ... does it need some ?

buzz can be addressed

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
I had one for years and finally decided to sell last week. I asked $300 and got 12 seriously interested buyers from everywhere, but my hometown. The locals were downright insulting. I gladly shipped out of town to a person who would appreciate it.

I had over 35 guitars, and this same buyer inquired if I had more and bought my Hohner LP as well. I got more for the Hohner, but it was my favorite of the two. Two guitars gone in one day, got two others off of the floor and into the storage rack. If I could only get down to the number of guitars that fit in the rack.

They definitely were fun guitars for me, and I did get a lot of pleasure from them.

I really like the look of your white Custom. Add a fuzz, a phaser, your favorite tube amp, and have at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the knowledge! I'm definitely going to keep it, it just feels so nice to play. With a bit of set up work I think it's going to be pretty sweet!.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
I really liked Gibson Vintage Reissue strings on these guitars (0.010's). It just made the guitar feel exceptionally good with surprising tone. I tried several others and always came back to these.

I usually play a wide variety of 0.009's on most other electrics.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Looks a lot like my Harmony. Mine was plywood body, weighs a ton ! Check for twist in the headstock , low E side pulling forward. The twist was the cause for fretting out in my case on bends above 13th fret.
My neck (maple) was like a baseball bat thick which I really admire, but I could not cure the twist. Hot lights, humidity,clamping etc ... no joy. I had to finally re-radius the neck and refret. (a learning experience for me). Yours looks very well cared for. Good luck, hopefully just an easy setup gets you going.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Personally I think these guitars get more attention than they should in a vintage market sense. A lot of the early made japan stuff was actually pretty crappy. Plywood bodies and such. 250 tops IMO. I'm not saying this one is plywood...but if you look at the binding around the headstock...not very clean, the control covers fit weird....just a lot of little stuff that make them anything but lawsuit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same guitar (in black). It is a good guitar but has some low end electronics in it (single pole pups in a chrome cases and cheap pots). IIRC it is a 3 piece body (thick centre section with thiner laminated top and bottom). I suppose that is "Ply" to some. There are El Degas' of varying collectibility and quality out there. This is a lower end, bolt on neck but having said that, I really like mine. She plays well, looks the business and sounds good too.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Personally I think these guitars get more attention than they should in a vintage market sense. A lot of the early made japan stuff was actually pretty crappy. Plywood bodies and such. 250 tops IMO. I'm not saying this one is plywood...but if you look at the binding around the headstock...not very clean, the control covers fit weird....just a lot of little stuff that make them anything but lawsuit.
I'm inclined to agree. It's in the same basket as a modern day Chibson, IMO, in the sense that some will be good players worth a few hundred $ and some will be boat anchors. age alone doesn't add value to me. In the 80's when I was in my teens, these were starter guitars that every 15 yr old kid had. I don't see why 30 more yrs changes that.
No disrespect to the OPs guitar, I have no firsthand experience with it. Could be a jem.
Just something always put me off of bolt on neck LPs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would agree. I definitely think it's more of a collectors guitar. Someone who has some good memories of their early days. lol

It does feel a bit cheap. Plays nice ( would be nicer without fret buzz , and I like the sound of the pickups. Im sure they are low quality but they have a nice raw sound.

And I won't get offended with any comments. I got it free, so if it's worth $40 or $400 its all good to me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts