The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Which one sounded better?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, thought you might enjoy this video! It's one of those made in Ontario Canada fake Tokais against my recently purchased Gibson Custom Shop '59 RI VOS.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
You can see that the tokai top curve isn't very pronounced. I'm sure it plays well, I've heard these are pretty good as far as korean etc les Paul's go. I dont see many for sale anymore, a few years back there was always one or two on kijiji at anyone time, now not so often.

·
Premium Member
12,220 Posts
Maybe?
I think the fakai's where sold through JSD's Guitar Shack.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
A knock-off of a knock-off, now thats a bizarre one!
that's true, but it's a little like poking fun at someone driving a kit cobra. yes it's not a real cobra, but it's still a cool looking, high performance car.

yes, the above guitar is a prs knock off, which is loosely a les paul knock off.

but for about $350 (iirc) canadian, i got a 3/4 flame maple cap on a mahogany body, s.s. frets, bone nut, rosewood board, wilkinson bridge, grover tuners, decent pots, recessed knobs, and the longest tenon i ever saw in any guitar neck ever. i put a set of 57 classics in it, and it was a great sounding and playing instrument. my only complaint was the poly finish on the neck was a little soft when it got warm. scotchbrite took care of that in seconds. i paid another $75 for a nice hard case. tbh the stock pick ups weren't great at high vol. but at living room levels they were just fine. i can't point to any other manufacturer offering all that for $450

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Thanks for video! Personally, I would say that sound-wise I can maybe here a 15% difference between the 2, assuming identical set-up. Personally, I would take the Tokai as I am a sucker for alternative, cheaper brands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts