The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to try one of these. I have an old 1955 military surplus PA with two 6AQ5 and two 12AX7 modified for guitar that gets an incredible blues crunch. I'm afraid to take it anywhere though because if it's age. It also looks pretty beat up for live use. There is no back cover, just a screen protecting the tubes. These look great, the sound clips sound good.

Pak Amp

Here's mine. The internal 5" speaker can be switched out. It has 8 ohm and 16 ohm outputs. I've used it with a few different cabs and they all sounded great.

2017-05-17 16.57.45.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Sometimes old is indicative of 'better built' rather than 'more fragile'. I've heard that amp and think it sounds great. You should take it out, especially as you probably don't have roadies moving it (we're always more careful with our own stuff, eh?). Once it's set up, there's not much you can do to hurt it, besides massively mis-terminate it, like a 4:1 mismatch or something.

Love what you play and play what you love - out. IMO.

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m worried about someone sticking their fingers in where they shouldn’t. The amp attracts a lot of attention because of the way it looks and sounds. Everyone wants to see what's inside. I'd hate to be responsible if someone got a shock. I should make a cover but I've never got around to it.

2017-05-17 16.58.08.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
I’m worried about someone sticking their fingers in where they shouldn’t. The amp attracts a lot of attention because of the way it looks and sounds. Everyone wants to see what's inside. I'd hate to be responsible if someone got a shock. I should make a cover but I've never got around to it.

View attachment 237866
Easy enough to make a cover. Heck, for a while my Super Reverb had a cover duct taped on, just to keep the tubes from burning the booth bench it sits on at one of my gigs

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I concur with making a cover. Rehousing in a wooden cabinet may be an option as well.

I'm not a woodworker by any stretch of the imagination, I don't have any decent tools, and yet I was able to make a couple of back panels for amps I bought used and were already housed in home-made cabs. The cabs were fine, they just left the tubes and operating bits exposed. Because I take the amps out, others sometimes move them, I felt I needed to shield those bits. So a few pieces of wood, some grommets, touch up paint and I got what was needed. Not pretty but does the job - same with the back panels (insert rim shot). :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts