The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

'68 Fender Vibro Champ Cab

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DeegzARG 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I picked up a an all original super clean '68 Vibro Champ a while back and was wondering if anyone had any tips for connecting an external 1x12 cabinet, or if that's even an option. I absolutely love the amp, it rips! The only thing I wish it had was more bass and a bit more headroom in that cabinet.

I was wondering if anyone has done this and how I might go about it whilst keeping the amp original.

All the best,

Carlos

#3 ·
I have a beat up 76-77 VibroChamp, I've often told the story here but anyways my son and I built a 2x8 cab using the original speaker and a dump pull 8" from an organ. It sounds HUUUGE. We built it closed back, so it will push more bass, but forgot to ventilate it so it won't run that way for long before it overheats and shuts itself down, 15 minutes or so. Still sounds great and loud running open back. I took it to a tech who installed a resistor to make the speaker load proper for the OT.

It doesn't keep your amp original though - you could build an alt cab (2x8 2x10 1x12 etc) and just put the original cab in storage - amp has plenty of juice to push speakers, I ran it in a headshell thru a closed 2x10 cab with high efficiency speakers as a pedal platform, it had lots of juice to keep up with a fairly loud band in the basement. Tough to push much bass with an 8" speaker, even 2 and everything maxed it never comes close to farting out. I would guess look for a speaker with high efficiency (which will also make the amp louder).

#4 ·
Thank you for the input. I didn't know it had to match the impedance, great that you pointed that out. The original speaker had to be reconed so I swapped the speaker out last year for a Weber Blue PUP and have enjoyed it so far..... although its more of of a VOX british style speaker. Would it be possible to just connect it to an external cabinet through the 1/4" jack and bypass the speaker thats in the Vibro Champ? I would probably build or look for a cab that has a 10" or 12" (4 ohm) speaker .

Does connecting the amp to an external cab put alot of wear on the parts in the Vibro Champ?

#5 ·
Thank you for the input. I didn't know it had to match the impedance, great that you pointed that out. The original speaker had to be reconed so I swapped the speaker out last year for a Weber Blue PUP and have enjoyed it so far..... although its more of of a VOX british style speaker. Would it be possible to just connect it to an external cabinet through the 1/4" jack and bypass the speaker thats in the Vibro Champ? I would probably build or look for a cab that has a 10" or 12" (4 ohm) speaker .

Does connecting the amp to an external cab put alot of wear on the parts in the Vibro Champ?
Yes, you can pull the speaker plug and plug a cab in there *if it’s the right ohms*.

No, connecting to a cab does nothing to add wear or stress to your amp *if it’s the right ohms*.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.