The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was David Wilcox's old Strat. I currently have a period correct 1965 neck on it(plays and sounds way better!)... rather than the '56 neck he had on it.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Is that the guitar pictured on his first album? In my college days back in TO in the early 80's, I saw him play that guitar a few times. Great score!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
OOOHHH, that just makes me want to do the "Bearcat".

The first time I saw DW on stage I thought he was having a seizure when he started into a blistering solo. After I realized his eyes rolled way into the back of his was a signal he was "going there" I began to relax.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Very nice Drool

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Strat with a HISTORY !!!!!

C'mon Hugh, tell us about the card game that Wilcox lost this guitar at.

Also, I bought this from David when he decided to sell it, along with his 1961 SG/Les Paul. All orig. with PAF's !!!!! I won't tell how little those two cost me compared to today's crazy prices.
Very happy that my good friend Hugh has had this guitar for many years and is still playing the sh*t out of it. Happy Rockin' (bluesin') Hugh !!! :rockon2:

cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
keefsdad said:
Very cool. Wilcox is the man. Wish he'd put out another record.

I played a couple of shows opening up for Wilcox in Northern Ontario.

He has my respect. He's as natural as they come. I remember he had Whitey Glan on drums at the time. Great drummer.

Cool to have a piece of Canadian rock and roll (or blues anyway) history.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wtf?

I cannot believe that you own Mr. Wilcox's old guitar. I don't imagine he ran out of beer money. I too wonder about the storey behind your aquisition.

I imagine that David has first right of refusal should you ever choose to sell.

I have seen David Wilcox perform a number of times...there's not many like him around! Good on you, and hang on for dear life.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, as Pete Faragher says, I bought the guitar from him... he bought 2 of David's guitars within minutes when the came into the 12th Fret in the late 90s. I have owned the guitar for most of the last half dozen years except that I briefly traded it back to Pete. I found a period correct neck for the body(1965) and the guitar played and sounded better with the new neck (sorry Mr. Wilcox), so I retired the '56 neck to another body. Although I might add that Wilcox more than did the original guitar justice. I get the feeling that Wilcox goes through different phases, and selling a bunch of his old guitars was one phase. Pete and I saw Wilcox trying a new Japanese Tele at Steve's a while back. Now THAT'S a change!!!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
wow, that's pretty damn cool!! :banana: :banana:

I would put the '59 neck back on there if it was mine

DAVID WILCOX KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!!

I wish he'd put out some more raw sounding blues stuff, like his early work.

has he ever done a live album? the man is a true showman & really shines live IMO

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
27 Posts
bolero said:
wow, that's pretty damn cool!! :banana: :banana:

I would put the '59 neck back on there if it was mine

DAVID WILCOX KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!!

I wish he'd put out some more raw sounding blues stuff, like his early work.

has he ever done a live album? the man is a true showman & really shines live IMO

:food-smiley-004:
I agree about the neck !! put it back on man.....I remember being at a house party when I was a teenager and someone put "my eyes keep me in trouble" on the stereo, it was a kick ass stereo cranked up so the whole house could hear his opening riff, to this day that is still one of the best sounding/recorded raw guitar riffs out there. Simple but oh so sweet....I started playing guitar shortly after that night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts