The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Say hello to a Vox Tempest 12, built in Italy sometime in the 60's.
Vox Tempest1 .jpg

Vox Tempest4.jpg

Somebody loved this guitar and played the hell out of it. The frets were leveled so many times that there are virtually nothing left of them. I've never seen anything like it.
Nobody loves a guitar that much unless it plays/feels good and sounds great. This poor old beast has got to be worth saving.

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Vox Tempest2.jpg

I wasn't kidding about the frets. There is nothing left. I think someone has even been filing down the finger board between the frets, trying to get a little more fret height. :rolleyes:
Vox tempest6.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vox Tempest3.jpg

All tang - no fret
Here's what I use for pulling frets. That thin stainless plate slips in under the fret, protects the board (or in this case, what's left of the board), and helps prevent chip-out around the frets.
Vox Tempest5.jpg

Dirty deeds done.
Vox Tempest7.jpg

And I do mean dirty deeds. This is not the kind of thing you do while eating potato chips. Unidentified DNA everywhere.
I'm going to put some heat on that metal nut and get it out of there, then the zero fret. After that, I'm going to resurface the finger board.

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I started with 150 grit on a sanding beam. 10" Radius.
Vox Tempest8.jpg
Vox Tempest9.jpg
After this third one I changed over to 320 grit.
Vox Tempest10.jpg
Vox Tempest11.jpg And this is where I stopped. There are still a few marks left, but I don't anyone will ever notice, and I really can't see how thick the finger board is. Is it as thick as the binding? I don't want to find out.
It's starting to look like a piece of rosewood. Time to dig out and reclaim the fret slots.

EDIT
fvck it, I might go a little further. Can't stop now.

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a good start on the fret installation. There's a lot of extra fiddle-farting around on a neck with binding. The tangs have to be nipped off on each end of the fret where they go over the binding. I've seen people just cut the fret slot through the binding, but it looks like hell.
Vox Tempest12.jpg

Frets are "medium" silver/nickel, and they came in a package of 25, pre-radiused from Next-Gen.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Is it yours? I no longer play guitar but you know I had some affinity for 12s. Besides the Agile 335 you took off me (man, that was a nice guitar though did need different pickups I thought, those being I believe ceramic), I also had a Ric 360-12 and an acoustic at one point. Such awesome tones and sounds from 12s, I bet that thing is a honey.

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it yours? I no longer play guitar but you know I had some affinity for 12s. Besides the Agile 335 you took off me (man, that was a nice guitar though did need different pickups I thought, those being I believe ceramic), I also had a Ric 360-12 and an acoustic at one point. Such awesome tones and sounds from 12s, I bet that thing is a honey.
I'm not sure if it's mine or not. My youngest son (who plays guitar) won this guitar in an eBay auction in 2010. I ended up paying for it however......and he ended up leaving it here, with the understanding that someday I would re-fret it for him. It was real tricky to play because of the flat frets, but even in that condition I liked the sound & feel of it. I think it's going to be a great guitar. I'm glad "we" ended up with it.

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
I love to see threads like this. With I could do this, but it took 6 years before I could change strings without drawing blood. Can you say 'klutz' boys and girls,

Reactions: Lincoln

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the re-shaping of the fretboard, did you find any depth issues at the edges where a fret won't seat completely?
Nice job, by the way.
I thought about that. I spent a fair bit of time with my fret saw, starting at the binding on each side and dragging to center several times. From both sides, on each slot. I had the tang depth marked on the tip on the saw for something to go by.
I think I had all the slots deep enough. Definitely something I considered.

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I strung it up today. I had to touch up a sharp couple fret ends I found while playing, but no fret level issues. It's a good old guitar, very stable, sounds good, easy to play.
Vox Tempest14.jpg

One thing I was worried about, the zero fret. This was my first zero fret refret. I put the same size fret in the zero position as all the rest. Then reading last night on the internet, saw everybody is using a larger fret for the zero. Turned out fine. I only have about 0.008 clearance on the first fret, but it's enough and it will never change. No buzz.

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love to see threads like this. With I could do this, but it took 6 years before I could change strings without drawing blood. Can you say 'klutz' boys and girls,
If I can do this, anybody can do this. A modest investment in tools and away you go. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts