The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought in my 1960 Martin 000-18 to get the side and back cracks repaired (40 bucks). The repair guy said its a really nice sounding guitar and is worthy of a restoration. He wants to do a neck re-set and fret job.
600$!!!
He is a top notch luthier and I trust him completely, and he has done lots of high end guitar restorations.
I paid 800$ for the guitar.
The thing is, I don't even play acoustic that much. Just a bit of open cord fingerpicking.
The guitar does sound really really nice.
I am worried if I do the work, it will change the character of the guitar?
Should I shell out the cash or keep it as-is??
Its a tough one.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
If I recall you were really excited about this guitar. So excited that you ignored a bunch of advice to pass on the purchase. Now I'm not saying you were wrong, actually the opposite. After all, out of all the opinions in the previous thread...you were the only one that played it. My advice? If you loved it before the quote...you'll love it even more when it's up to snuff.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JB. I know I should have passed, but I did really like it in person. It was not nearly as bad as I made it sound in my first thread. The top is perfect and never had a crack. Plus, the neck is slim with a bit of a V and fits my finger-challenged hand very well.
Now I need to find some user friendly easy picking songs to play.
Maybe even take a singing lesson or two which has always been a goal of mine.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts
Do it. $1400 for a 1960 Martin that won't need a neck reset or probably any other work until 2060? That's a good deal, IMO.

The neck reset will only make it sound better, by most estimations. It corrects the break angle of the strings over the saddle. And being a 1960, it probably has a Brazilian RW fretboard and bridge.

Reactions: bw66

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Jim: I am thinking you bought this to keep and not really interested in the resale value. I wouldn't let just anyone fool with that guitar but you might look around at some other luthiers and get another quote or two. I would do the refret myself. Maybe you don't need to do a complete refret at this time. Just a few suggestions. I hope they are helpful to you.

Reactions: JBFairthorne

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I agree with laristotle. If the action is low enough for you and the frets don't buzz or look overly worn anywhere then pass on the neck reset and refret for now. For me as long as the action was as low as I like it and I had a reasonable break angle on the saddle I wouldn't have the neck reset. I hate when there is almost nothing left on the saddle and the strings have almost no break angle so under that circumstance I'd have the neck reset right away. In that case there'd definitely be lots of improvement.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the saddle is almost down to nothing. The action is a full 1/4" above spec.
Frets are extremely worn as well. the original owner played all open cords. Maybe he can do a partial re-fret.
I have known this guy for a long time, he is not trying to "drum up business" he is crazy busy and in demand. He charges a fraction of what most luthiers would charge.
600$ is for the complete refret, neck reset which also includes a new bone nut and saddle.
He only charged me 40$ to fix the cracks and hole in the side.
I'll pick it up today(Crack repairs only for now), and play it a bit more.
I do think I will keep it. The size and neck are perfect for me.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Pass for now, unless that is a "today only rate". He will hopefully still be able to do it for roughly the same amount later, when you do want the work done.

P

·
0 Posts
Post your financial statements, your net worth, tax returns for the last three years plus cash on hand and in the bank. That will give us a better idea if you should do it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a deal with the wife, I spend on guitars only from what I sell. not a penny from the household. I would need to sell something as right now there is zero in the fund.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I have a deal with the wife, I spend on guitars only from what I sell. not a penny from the household. I would need to sell something as right now there is zero in the fund.
Well, at least you have your answer. And it is not totally unplayable and you did get a pretty decent deal. All is not lost. Now, whatcha gonna sell?:)

L

·
0 Posts
the saddle is almost down to nothing. The action is a full 1/4" above spec.
Frets are extremely worn as well. the original owner played all open cords. Maybe he can do a partial re-fret.
In that case, I'd say go for it then.
Not that you need my permission. lol.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If his work is top notch as you say and you get a nut, saddle, frets and neck reset for $600.... I'd say do it. I have an old Southern Jumbo that's on the borderline for a neck reset and if I remember correctly I was quoted over $600 just for that.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You already invested in an instrument that you knew needed some attention. Its a classic...

Its like an old muscle car, it works... but for $600, you can bring it to pristine condition... plus better now then later if ever you decide to sell since hard to justify $600 to $1K later to sell a guitar... Might as well invest now and get back pleasure from your investment and have the best instrument you possibly can for YOUR ENJOYMENT !

Cause, Hey! You deserve it ! ;)

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
If all you ever need is the one good vintage acoustic and it's a keeper, go for it. It's a vintage Martin afterall. Have you checked what they are worth in good well maintained condition??

Reactions: JBFairthorne
P

·
0 Posts
There is a way to bring the action down without a neck reset. Loosen off the strings or remove them. Boil water in a kettle, and put the steam into the hole for 2-3 minutes. Then seal the hole. Do this every day or two for a couple of months. When you take a shower bring it into the room to absorb some of moisture. The guitar should return to it's original state over time.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts