The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the sound difference between the 5F1 (tweed champ) and the 5F2 (tweed Princeton) circuit is, tone pot in 5F2 not withstanding? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tone stack and the 10" speaker I know about. If the tone was at 12 noon on the 5F2 and both had the same speaker, is there anything different in sound, however subtle. To complicate things more, what's the difference between the 5F2 and 5F2A circuits

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
The tone stack and the 10" speaker I know about. If the tone was at 12 noon on the 5F2 and both had the same speaker, is there anything different in sound, however subtle. To complicate things more, what's the difference between the 5F2 and 5F2A circuits
Because the 5F2 has the tone stack, it will have less gain. Other than that they will sound the same. The princeton will just be a little bigger and fuller sounding because of the 10" speaker. A little louder as well.

5F2 is the way to go. 5F1 is pretty dark by nature, I had to really tweak the circuit on mine to get it bright enough for me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree,having built both amps.However,many prefer the 5F1 tone as it breaks up quite a bit more.The 10" speaker adds a lot to the amp and the bigger cabinet is definitely a plus.
Overall the 5F2 is superior in my opinion.

www.claramps.com

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Overall the 5F2 is superior in my opinion.

www.claramps.com

Thank you. I was thinking in terms of a 5F2A with a 12" speaker. Sometime in early 2008. Just did clutch, drive clean. Need to do brakes. Blah, Blah. I already have a Gibson GA-5 RI. Will need something a little more.... you know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts