The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this on my mind for a long time, pretty much since I sold my last 5E3. I built one of these a few years ago and it was a kit from Trinity. This time I'd like to source all of it myself and mod it a little based on the Rob Robinette pages. I have a couple of the major components already and shouldn't have a hard time acquiring the smaller stuff from Antique Electronics and TubeDepot but things like chassis and transformers I'd like some suggestions on. I'd also like to know if anyone has suggestions for caps and any mods that they've performed.

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
I probably have lots of small parts of various types left lying around from my builds. If you get a wish list, I’ll go dig around the boxes. Nothing major, but stuff like star grounds and other smalls I always bought more than I needed.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Transformers...Classictone. I have been very happy with them Fender 20W Tweed Deluxe Style Transformers By ClassicTone

F&T caps. Great caps, great price. Capacitor - F&T, 475V, 16µF, Axial Lead

Chassis, Mojotone is pretty decent. Tweed Narrow Panel Deluxe Style 5E3 Chassis

Boothill Amps, good too. I have built several of these Boothill parts kits of all amps he offers. You can upgrade to F&T caps. His chassis are good. He also offers Classictone
trannies. Get all from the same place and save freight. Dave is a real decent guy to deal with too. 5E3 Kits

I have not found a need yet to mod a 5E3. Darn near perfect as it is, stock.

·
Premium Member
17,579 Posts
I'll be following this thread with much interest. Building an amp vicariously through @vadsy

Please take lots of pics of the progress of your build.

Are you going to build your own eyelet/turret board?

·
Registered
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I probably have lots of small parts of various types left lying around from my builds. If you get a wish list, I’ll go dig around the boxes. Nothing major, but stuff like star grounds and other smalls I always bought more than I needed.
Thanks very much, I'll touch base if the list gets overwhelming.

·
Registered
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Transformers...Classictone. I have been very happy with them Fender 20W Tweed Deluxe Style Transformers By ClassicTone

F&T caps. Great caps, great price. Capacitor - F&T, 475V, 16µF, Axial Lead

Chassis, Mojotone is pretty decent. Tweed Narrow Panel Deluxe Style 5E3 Chassis

Boothill Amps, good too. I have built several of these Boothill parts kits of all amps he offers. You can upgrade to F&T caps. His chassis are good. He also offers Classictone
trannies. Get all from the same place and save freight. Dave is a real decent guy to deal with too. 5E3 Kits

I have not found a need yet to mod a 5E3. Darn near perfect as it is, stock.
Transformers are probably my biggest decision to make, ClassicTone is second on my list but I badly want to fall for the Mercury Magnetics pitch, thoughts?

F&T, Sprague Atoms and Jupiter have been some of my favourites.

Mojotone and Boothill are open tabs in my browser, good sources.

I'd like to try some mods the second build around, I gotta keep reading so I'll see whats up.

·
Registered
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you going to build your own eyelet/turret board?
I would really like to use a turret board this time around. Forgot to mention about finding one in my original post.

edit; I see Antique has 5E3 turret boards,., nice.

·
Registered
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have everything you need for a turret board build I think, except a layout. BRB.
I have a layout, gotta ask though, is it worth doing it yourself if you can buy one for 15 bucks? Serious question, I've never built one.

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Yeah 12”x3” board if that’s big enough. Roughly 60 turrets and the tool to insert them. A zillion assorted small nuts bolts standoffs, plenty of usable caps and resistors. Wire braid by the yard. Etc etc etc. Yer welcome to come over and pick thru it, don’t think I’ll be building another guitar amp.

·
Registered
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah 12”x3” board if that’s big enough. Roughly 60 turrets and the tool to insert them. A zillion assorted small nuts bolts standoffs, plenty of usable caps and resistors. Wire braid by the yard. Etc etc etc. Yer welcome to come over and pick thru it, don’t think I’ll be building another guitar amp.
Awesome, I'll do that and compensate you for the troubles. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
You’ll find a usable layout in google images, probably lots of mods too. A little reading and you can even figure out mods yourself, tho I suspect it’s all been done on a 5E3 and just gotta find em.

·
Registered
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You’ll find a usable layout in google images, probably lots of mods too. A little reading and you can even figure out mods yourself, tho I suspect it’s all been done on a 5E3 and just gotta find em.
I still have all the literature from the Trinity build and Rob R pages document a lot of the mods. 5E3 Mods

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Following. I built a Marshall clone this past Spring. Would like to try a 5e3 next. What didn’t you like about the Trinity?

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
My TriWatt build was great. Between their forums, this forum, and help from Trinity owner immediately solving a couple minor things, I built a fairly complex TriWatt for a successful first build.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
There is little doubt in my mind that Mercury Magnetic transformers are high quality. I question their prices. Seems quite high to me. Sonically, can you actually note a difference between MM and Classictone? I’ll consider giving anyone the benefit of doubt when comparing output trannies. However power trannies? How are you going to hear a difference?

Its up to each of us if we buy into the MM hype. Personally I can’t seem to get over the price premuim. So I guess, no I don’t buy into the MM hype.

I have used Heyboer, Allen, Classictone, Mercury Magnetics, Hammond, and Weber trannies. Consider that all did the job very well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've been gradually gearing up to do a RobRob Deluxe Micro and have been sourcing parts for a while.

I needed a more unusual chassis than the standard 5e3 one to fit in the cab I have and had it made by this guy, Canadian east coast: Home

I'm sure he has the standard 5e3 as well. Good product, good pricing, hassle free & MIC.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts