The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go. I have an Epi Dot (red of course like Clapton) and an Epi LP Standard (just like Jimmy Page's). I know - not very original. I now have a set of SD 59's (black) and a set of 57 Classics/57 Classic Plus (nickel covers).

Soliciting opinions: :sport-smiley-002:

Which pickups should I put in which guitar? Are they tonally similar? Will it make a huge difference or will the difference be more cosmetic than anything else?

I've been slowly buying what I need to completely rewire both guitars (pots, switches, input jack, caps, knobs and of course pickups).

There's no way I will ever pay $2000 + to have a "real" Gibson so I just want to upgrade some perfectly good guitars with better components.

I compared my LP Standard with stock pickups to a Yamaha AES620 with SD JB in the bridge and Yamama neck pickup and tonally, the Yamaha won hands down.

So...I want to get crackin on these axes!!

Opinions/Advice please. Thanks in advance :food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
I have the same '57 set as you in an Epiphone Riviera, MIJ, ~1978. They work quite well. Look good too. I've other opinions where they say the '57s work well in 335 style guitar. Can't say about the SD 59s and the LP - not in my experience. But black pups would look better in an LP IMO.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I havent tried 59's, but I do like the 57 Classics in my Les Paul.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually have the 59's in my Dot right now, but it kinda looks like a rocker toy instead of a classy archtop. Then again, I'm not really a classy guy. lol! Sounds great though. I would prefer to have covered pups in that one. Does anyone have experience with the tone of both? Are they similar??

·
Registered
72 Posts
no helpful experiance to offer, but I'd buy covers for the 59's. IMO most guitars look best with covered pickups.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you happen to know if I can just solder some covers on? The description for the 59's on the SD website says that they are "vacuum wax potted for squeal-free performance." Assuming that is the case, I should be able to solder on a couple of covers. The stock pups I took out have covers that I could probably remove. What do you think?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you happen to know if I can just solder some covers on? The description for the 59's on the SD website says that they are "vacuum wax potted for squeal-free performance." Assuming that is the case, I should be able to solder on a couple of covers. The stock pups I took out have covers that I could probably remove. What do you think?
Should be do-able, you might need to clean some wax off the back of the 59's for the solder to take though.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Believe me, I've listened to those clips. I've searched Youtube for clips you name it. Looking for some real world experience. Thanks anyways though.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Soldering pickup covers

I haven't done it myself but was about to until I found out that it can be tricky soldering pup covers on. A really hot iron helps (like in 40 watts and higher). Just a heads up.

I was just A/B ing different humbucker pups today and concluded that '57 Classics sound more PAF like than the '59 Duncans (to my ear). Duncan 59's sounded brighter, and....more modern IMO. Still a good pup though.
So it depends on which sound you prefer.

My 335 has 57 classics and it sounds great. I wouldn't change them out. I think the general consensus is that 57 classics sound good in semi-hollow body guitars (especially the older 57 classic pups). Mind you I haven't heard these pups in a solid body...but dwagar swears by them.

My Hamer "lp type" guitar has a '59 neck and JB bridge, and they sound great, especially in OD. But again not the vintage paf tone (IMO).

I don't know anything about '59 classic "plus" pups. Are they just hotter?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I popped one of the Epi pup covers off tonight and found that the pup is held in by wax (which is what I assume "wax dipped" means) so I don't think that will be an option in my case - I definitely won't be dipping my new 59's in hot wax while pretending I know what I'm doing!

The 57 Classics Plus is supposed to be hotter (apprently received a few more turns in the winder). I will probably end up putting the 57's in my Dot 335 and the 59's in my LP. Having said that, I'll see what happens when I pick up the soldering iron.

I have a Yamaha AES620 with a JB in the Bridge and I really like the sound of that one through my Traynor amp. Very smooth. Nice clean tone as well. Might have to Shop around for one of those.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Held in by wax eh? There should be a glob of solder on either side of the back of the pickup that holds the cover in place. To put a cover on another pickup you'd solder it on, no need to wax pot it unless it started giving you microphonic feedback.

That said, DIY wax potting is pretty straightforward.

Oh, and if you want to compare the output of your pickups, just measure the DC resistance of each of 'em with a multimeter. Higher resistance means that there are more winds on that particular pickup, and so it will have a higher output (magnet strength and all that being equal)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts