The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks real! No price, open to serious offers.
Just search for 1952 les paul on kijiji

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
Ugh...no price.
I’m actually looking for something like this, but not going to bother without a price. Sellers are as delusional on the high side as buyers are on the low side.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
won't hurt to make an offer

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
@Diablo it's often their way to thwart off low ballers. on the kijij this doesn't come up often.

good luck. let us know how the battle goes. LOL
he's fishing. not saying it's right or wrong but a solid chance no matter what you send him as an offer it won't be good enough

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
What do you guys think is an honest price for that for a private sale? Not if it were advertised at Folkway or another premier vintage dealer. Sometimes it’s tough to gage the actual vintage market because so many pieces are priced aggressively high as a former poster mentioned. And reverb does no one any favours trying to get an accurate price assessment.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
@Diablo it's often their way to thwart off low ballers. on the kijij this doesn't come up often.

good luck. let us know how the battle goes. LOL
he's fishing. not saying it's right or wrong but a solid chance no matter what you send him as an offer it won't be good enough
The vibe I get from ads like that is, “I’ll only sell if some son of a billionaire makes me an offer I can’t refuse that sets a new level for this kind of guitar”, which for me isn’t a serious seller.
Iirc, Tom Wittrock did the unthinkable and sold Sandy last year to some Asian billionaires kid for some ridiculous figure (an offer he couldn’t refuse).

I may be reading too much into it, but I also don’t see how not putting any price guidance at all thwarts low ballers....if anything it increases the likelihood of most offers being lowballs, at least in the eyes of the seller.

I don’t have a problem with that, I’m a capitalist, everyone is free to sell at any price or way they want. But I’m not putting any energy into this one, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
What do you guys think is an honest price for that for a private sale? Not if it were advertised at Folkway or another premier vintage dealer. Sometimes it’s tough to gage the actual vintage market because so many pieces are priced aggressively high as a former poster mentioned. And reverb does no one any favours trying to get an accurate price assessment.
You’re right, it’s hard to say...limited market, and whatever covid effect (up or down).
IMO, 20k’s...but that’s a big range and possibly out of date from when I last watched this market a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
I cannot fathom why they would choose Kijiji as a selling platform.
Avoiding auction fees for a fishing expedition perhaps.
Maybe trying to keep a low profile...a few years ago, a burst was for sale at a Canadian shop, and when word got out, a lot of internet “experts” raised concerns of its authenticity.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I cannot fathom why they would choose Kijiji as a selling platform.
same reason people try and sell homes without a real estate agent. skip the fees and possibly the number the store game him didn't meet his expectation

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
52s are worth, what 15k USD? Maybe 20k USD for an exceptional example?

I've seen nice 53s and 54s for 30k USD from big shops.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I don't think its unreasonable thinking to wave the fees and go direct...
AS for the "fake" issue, I think its always up to the buyer to make sure its "not fake" before the sale.
Anyone selling a legitimate guitar would not mind scrutiny in whatever form the buyer would want.
20K to 25K is well in the ballpark for someone to cut a check or E transfer.
We see $4-5 K guitars for sale in this forum all the time....this is not that far from those numbers.
G.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
There was a story a few years back where the original owner brought that Guitar into the Long & Mcquade in his area.
He was in his middle to late 80's back then.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts