The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats all the fuss about this amp? I am interested in getting a used combo, will it do vintage dirt, or is this a metal amp only?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I honestly hated it. the 6505, 5150, xxx, xxl, they all sound like they have built in compressors and noise reducers. the tone is bland to the max. someone playing with emgs will like them because it is more of the same. yes you can play with a vintage sounding amount of gain, but it sounds terrible and lifeless.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree with Yerffej. A friend of mine kept his here for a summer a couple of years ago. Although it was very loud, it seemed to lack warmth and tone one expects from tubes. At any rate it certainly was not a favourite for anyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love mine (head version)! It was cold, but its mandatory to have a bias mod done to it to warm it up and it absolutely kills anything out there. Crushing tone for metal.
:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Deadwrong said:
I love mine (head version)! It was cold, but its mandatory to have a bias mod done to it to warm it up and it absolutely kills anything out there. Crushing tone for metal.
:DevilGuitar:
I have to conced on this point. all the amps at the store come with stock tubes that basically have less than 5 hours of wear and come with factory bias. that could have a lot to do with it. I suggested at a staff meeting that we let the new amps coming into the store "burn in" over the first night. the boss was against it, and so the amps all sound less good than they could

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yerffej said:
I suggested at a staff meeting that we let the new amps coming into the store "burn in" over the first night. the boss was against it, and so the amps all sound less good than they could
I agree with your boss. If you're not going to bias the amps, "burning in the tubes" won't make much difference. There's a slight change in sound but not nearly as much as biasing the amps properly.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the :2guns: on this amp and my first impression was bleh, cold sound with nasty distortion, yet there was still some apeal somewhere in its sound. I ran it through a home made 1-12 cab with a doner speaker from my classic 30. I dont like digital effects on tube amps normaly, but my zoom G2 in the effects loop of this beast sounds amazing.

I guess the reason I like it with digital effects is that this amp has a cold tone like transistor amps wich sound great with digital effects.

I may find it sounds horrible cranked in a 4-12 cab though, haven't been there yet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
After reading Wild Bill's post 'bias can be beautiful' I may have been to critical in my previous comment on this amp. If Peavey is conservatively adjusting the 'idle current' to extend tube life this could account for the lack of warmth I experienced. :rockon:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here is a quote from another forum about this amp:

"If you have a good set of earplugs, you can crank it up to 5 or 6 and it will crush small villages." - 5150

:rockon2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
SCREEM said:
here is a quote from another forum about this amp:

"If you have a good set of earplugs, you can crank it up to 5 or 6 and it will crush small villages." - 5150

:rockon2:
I agree, this amp doesnt really breathe unless its cranked...There is a reason why so many metal bands use these.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts