The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this list here

They also have the 50 Worst Artists in Music History as well as some other interesting lists.

Happily, The Final Countdown came in at number 27....

EUROPE
“The Final Countdown” 1987
The worst thing to come from both the band and the continent itself

Eschewing such traditional hair-metal concerns as girl-chasing and “steel horse”–riding, this Rocky 4 theme from the poodle-permed Swedes found frontman Joey Tempest announcing that he was off to Venus, “ ’cause maybe they’ve seen us!” — proof that English lyrics are best written by people with a working knowledge of the language. Tempest’s nonsensical caterwauling was backed by music that somehow managed to be fascist in its bombast yet also coma-inducingly dull.

Worst Moment The synth trills remind us that before they were a crappy metal band, Europe were a crappy prog-rock band.
Hard to argue with a lot of their choices. But I thought number 2 should have been number 1.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Alot of their choices are rubbish. Their 50 worst artists only solidifies the fact that these guys are assclowns............

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think their site's down :'(

·
Registered
93 Posts
blender's staff likely know nothing about music, but they're brilliant marketers. doing lists like this get people talking about their magazine, which sells copies.

they're not so much a music magazine as they are a model of agressive marketing

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welladjusted said:
blender's staff likely know nothing about music, but they're brilliant marketers. doing lists like this get people talking about their magazine, which sells copies.

they're not so much a music magazine as they are a model of agressive marketing
I agree. Any Worst 50 Songs list that has no mention of Rod Stewart is obviously bogus.:D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
thats a stupid list. how come hollaback girl is not on it? Thats a really dumb song.
and how is emerson, lake, and palmer, and kansas worse than vanilla ice and master p?

·
Registered
93 Posts
praising gwen stefani sells magazines. saying her solo album was terrible and that the reest of no doubt should just fire her and hire a new lady singer won't.

although i'm personally in favour of a gwen-less no doubt having endured multiple listenings of "hollaback girl"

·
Registered
526 Posts
blender is the only music mag I read on a regular basis. its like the national enquirer for music for the most part, except the staff are pretty knowledgable about music.
I find music mags take themselves way too seriously and their coverage is too narrow...as for the lists themselves...I don't know about "worst of all time" but the songs on the list are pretty awful....but for something truly horrendeous, check out spin's top 100 albums of the last 20 years. ouch. now that's a terrible mag.

like stefani or not I bet you'll never forget the hook of holla back girl. as far as pop music goes there's a lot worse out there....and rod stewart is awesome....especially the material he did with faces.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and rod stewart is awesome....especially the material he did with faces
The stuff that he did with Faces was good, I even owned Every Picture Tells a Story. That was before he started turning out nauseating fluff, the culmination being "Forever Young"

That song irks me like nothing else....he immediately moved to the top of my "to be shot and pissed on" list.:2guns:

·
Registered
698 Posts
All lists of this sort are sort of infantile really. It's about as credible as the Rolling Stone "Best <x> of all time" lists. Don't get me started on Rolling Stone...

But I do agree with a few of their choices on this list. In my opinion, every copy of "Cotton Eye Joe" should be destroyed. I can't emphasize how much I freakin HATE that tune. I agree with Celine Dion too...same fate for her whole catalog.

And now some of my fellow Newfs will start hating my guts, but I would put pretty much anything by Great Big Sea on the top of the list. Sorry folks...I just can't stand them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Emohawk said:
All lists of this sort are sort of infantile really. It's about as credible as the Rolling Stone "Best <x> of all time" lists. Don't get me started on Rolling Stone...

But I do agree with a few of their choices on this list. In my opinion, every copy of "Cotton Eye Joe" should be destroyed. I can't emphasize how much I freakin HATE that tune. I agree with Celine Dion too...same fate for her whole catalog.

And now some of my fellow Newfs will start hating my guts, but I would put pretty much anything by Great Big Sea on the top of the list. Sorry folks...I just can't stand them.
I'm right with ya on GBS. I'm not much of a pop trad fan.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Guitar World 100 Greatest Guitar Albums

Anybody have this joke issue? Obviously the readership of guitar world are too young and too engrossed in dogs%$t like Slipnot and Weezer to appreciate real guitar playing. The issue also failed to recognise other genres that could have easily been on there. They should change the name to Metal GuitarWorld.

How about the 50 worst guitar mag issues of all time?

Ray

·
Registered
319 Posts
Gw

I believe its the October 2006 issue. Its totally laughable

Ray

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
cbh747 said:
The stuff that he did with Faces was good, I even owned Every Picture Tells a Story. That was before he started turning out nauseating fluff, the culmination being "Forever Young"

That song irks me like nothing else....he immediately moved to the top of my "to be shot and pissed on" list.:2guns:
+1 on the quote. He was so great with The Faces and The Jeff Beck Group. I guess $$$$ talks.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
cbh747 said:
Happy it's on the list. Still trying to get over this
how did these people even make it onto a stage?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts