The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Thanks for the threads about 6, 8, & 12 string basses, it got me thinking that I *need* a 5-string. I always thought that a 5-string had a high 'B', which I have no use for really, but a low 'B' would be awesome, I can use that. The GAS has subsided a bit since I threw all my gig money on truck tires but the gigs continue........

So, I've been searching around looking at what is available, absolutely nothing in this backwater town. I need something that growls better than a P-bass so HB's are in order, it *has* to be left-handed, (special order), and doesn't cost a small forture but has quality.

Currently favoring the ESP B255 in black cherry but I need to at least put my hands on a R-H version before I plunk down $700+. (AXE music has 'em for $690, afraid to ask the local dealer)

http://www.espguitars.com/basses_b.html

Anyone out there with experience on ESP's? Are they good or not?

Thanks, happy New Year!
Michelle

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've never played an ESP, but i have a friend who has one and she seems to like it.

I play Ibanez 5 strings(SRX505 and EDA 905) and love em both i personally think that you wont find a better instrument in the same price range as an Ibanez...The SRX505 is good for heavy stuff(it's got a really good bass boost) and the EDA905 is good if you wanna look like your playin an alien spaceship

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Devil6; I probably should check out the Ibanez bass line.... I did some comparisons and got hooked on the neck-thru and EMG's of the ESP and the black cherry makes it totally edible. :)
I checked with the local dealer and he says he can bring in an ESP like I want for just under $1000. I don't think I'll buy anything from them again, never have what I want anyway.

Michelle

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
devil6 said:
I play Ibanez 5 strings(SRX505 and EDA 905) and love em both i personally think that you wont find a better instrument in the same price range as an Ibanez...The SRX505 is good for heavy stuff(it's got a really good bass boost) and the EDA905 is good if you wanna look like your playin an alien spaceship
+1

Make sure that you get active pups too. Passive pups dont pickup all the harmonics of the low B and it just sounds kinda dead.

·
Registered
272 Posts
MTD Kingston

Hi there,

I'd strongly recommend grabbing a MTD Kingston 5-string. I've got a 4-string MTD Kingston fretless that I got for less than the US list price including shipping, taxes and duties from Bass Northwest ( http://www.bassnw.com/ )and I'm really happy with it. It balances really well, isn't too heavy and sounds and plays great. I don't see one listed on their website, but I'm sure they could get you one in very little time. They do have one at bass central (http://www.basscentral.com/2003/mtdkingston.shtml - another huge bass store in Florida) and I've heard plenty of good things about them, although I have never dealt with them personally. Although I think Ibanez makes good instruments, IMHO the MTD basses are a far better deal for the money. You should be able to get one sent to your door for less than $750 - perhaps as little as $600? I can't remember exactly what my total came to, but IIRC it was somewhere around $550 for a bass with a US retail price of $609 so I imagine you should be able to get a 5-string for around the same price.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I put some guidelines on myself over the new bass thing like buy from a CDN dealer, on-line 'cause there ain't nothing here, (400Km to Halifax). Needs to be 'in stock', don't want to wait for a special order. Don't need flametops, bindings, gold hdw.

I wanted to go with the ESP but that would be special order so having talked with one of our band's guitarists, I checked out Schecter. Found a couple at AXE Music, settled on the Stiletto Deluxe, made the purchase yesterday and with taxes, shipping, and ins, all totaled at $570.

Specifications:

CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: 6 Bolt-on/35"
BODY: Basswood
NECK/FINGERBOARD: Maple/Rosewood
FRETS: 24 Jumbo
INLAYS: Dots
PICKUPS: Diamond Plus
ELECTRONICS: Vol/Blend w/ Active 2-Band EQ
BRIDGE: Diamond Bass
TUNERS: Diamond
HARDWARE: Chrome
COLOR: Gloss Black (BLK)

Not the top of their line but I'm pretty confident it will be great, it should ship today from ALTA and I get an AXE Music T-shirt to wear when I go to Musicstop. ah-haha

There! That should settle the GAS episodes, (for now until I want an 18" for my TNT) :)

SeeYa
Let you know how it works out!
Thanks for your input guys!
Michelle

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
hope you like the 5 stringer.:rockon2:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
james on bass said:
I think you got taken though - that bass is backwards! :tongue:
ah-haha No, no, it is made for us, 'The People That live in The Mirror'
Still waiting......should be here tomorrow! Long drive from Calgary to Saint John.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Stiletto arrived yesterday!

No damage from shipment, needed setup, no problem, did that and a slight pull of the neck. It will need another setup once things settle in. The only mfg flaw that I found was the nut is about 0.5mm off to one side and I think the nut also needs a little filing to get better action. The strings are nice but I'll put some Roto's on it after these get cruddy. The only thing I don't like is having to remove the rear cover to replace the batt. I'll cut a new cover out of SS once I figure how to do a little trap-door to access the batt.

This bass is awesome! I love it already. The body is really small, I can hug it really close and feel like it is part of me. The 35" scale is a bit of stretch and if I don't pay attention, I get lost on those 5 strings, but yeah, that B-string makes it almost a completely different instrument. The neck is 1.75" at the nut which is exactly what I wanted, doesn't feel like a 2X4. The sound is great, the active EQ makes things really versatile but I have to watch the bass boost, it's quite capable of making 'brown' notes but I was only using a 100W Yorkie practice amp that the drummer from the last band left at my place. Will try it on the P-V tonite. Or maybe both! Yeah!

AXE treated me really well on this, total win-win situation.
Michelle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts