The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this beauty today for $5.00. It's an FG-331 made in Taiwan all laminate. The action is a little high and it needs a really good cleanup. I'm headed out to Ottawa on business tomorrow so it will have to wait until next weekend but I thought what the heck, I'll tune the old rusty strings and see what it sounds like. I was very impressed. It projects like crazy. Hope the paint comes off easy. Not sure I like the baseball neck but the sound will probably mean this is a keeper. Can't wait till next weekend to clean it up, string it up, and set it up.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't believe how good this guitar sounds, even with really old, dead strings. It needs some work but man, I see why people rave about these old Yamahas.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
Nice find!

Not to derail your thread Kerry I got s Yamaha given to me 2 years ago. I gave it back. It needed some work. Acoustic is just not my thing!

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
I can't believe how good this guitar sounds, even with really old, dead strings. It needs some work but man, I see why people rave about these old Yamahas.
Great find buddy. I never find any deals at garage sales. I always pay full retail on everything.LOL

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went downtown and the only guitar store in this small town was open. It's usually closed Sunday. The owner said he had some work to do so he opened up. He was actually busy with two other customers. A quick wipe down, oiled the fret board, new 12-52s, and new bridge pins this thing sings. The action is a little high. It probably needs a neck reset but it's easily the best $5.00 guitar I've ever played. It's better sounding than many guitars I've played. I like the tone of my Takamine better but the projection from this concert size Yamaha beats the dreadnaught Takamine easily. It is loud! One of the loudest acoustics I've played. Couldn't get all the paint off with a damp rag. When I get time I'll research how to get the paint off without wrecking the finish and I'll sand down the saddle to see if that will get the action to where I like it. For now I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The truss rod covers can go for $$$ on ebay. Big (especially old small) Yamaha fan here too. Congrat's & enjoy!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
What a great find. That is way less than we would pay for a wall hanger!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts