The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just acquired a 4 X 12 closed back cab with 2 Celestions, 2 empty spaces.(haven't checked the speakers yet) not chopping the cab!

Idea #1: buy 4-12" bass speakers and make a 4X12 bass cab (Eminence S2012 Basslite 150W 8 ohm series/parallel,4.1lbs. each ). $80.00 each approx.

Idea #2: rework the cab with a center partition etc. and go with a 2X12 guitar in 1/2 and 2X12 bass in the other 1/2 (Cellestions & Basslites) ???

Idea #3: buy 4 Eminence Delta 12A's which can be used for both guitar & bass. (series/parallel) closed back and ported. (18lbs each-yikes!) 8ohm 400W each. $90.00 each approx.

really what I want is the most bang for my buck, and the most versitile cab. possible. don't expect to have to lug it far on my own.

comments and/or suggestions please.
thanks
RIFF

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
just acquired a 4 X 12 closed back cab with 2 Celestions, 2 empty spaces.(haven't checked the speakers yet) not chopping the cab!

Idea #1: buy 4-12" bass speakers and make a 4X12 bass cab (Eminence S2012 Basslite 150W 8 ohm series/parallel,4.1lbs. each ). $80.00 each approx.

Idea #2: rework the cab with a center partition etc. and go with a 2X12 guitar in 1/2 and 2X12 bass in the other 1/2 (Cellestions & Basslites) ???

Idea #3: buy 4 Eminence Delta 12A's which can be used for both guitar & bass. (series/parallel) closed back and ported. (18lbs each-yikes!) 8ohm 400W each. $90.00 each approx.

really what I want is the most bang for my buck, and the most versitile cab. possible. don't expect to have to lug it far on my own.

comments and/or suggestions please.
thanks
RIFF
Being an old guy, I don't have much respect for modern 4-12 or 2-12 bass cabinets. They're all too small! Physics demands large bass bins to have good tone and efficiency. When I can be at a basement practice standing right beside a modern Ampeg 4-10 bin, with a solid state 300 watt SVT amp on 10 and still not be deafened then that proves that modern small bins are just lame-ass, girly man speaker cabinets! :sport-smiley-002:

Simply putting a bass speaker in any sort of box is not gonna work well. Bass frequencies mean long wavelengths, which means the cabinet must have proper dimensions and a certain minimum volume to work well.

In the early 70's we used large bass cabs and with less than 100 watts we could blow the walls out of even large clubs! We'd use 2-15 or even 2-18 cabs as big as small refrigerators. With wheels along the bottom edge and handles near the top they weren't really that difficult to dolly around.

I would just go for a regular guitar 4-12. Eminence makes some great speakers!

If you really must use the cab for bass then put in anything, 'cuz it won't work well anyhow! If you intend to just use it for practice it might be ok but I wouldn't want to take it on stage unless it was a small club and I had amp power to burn.

IMHO

:food-smiley-004:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts