The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading up on this and the anniversary was actually two days ago. (August 25th) Hard to believe it's been that long. Door To Door would be the last album to feature all five members of the Cars. They did make another album, Move Like This, back in 2011 but original bassist/singer Benjamin Orr had passed away from pancreatic cancer back in 2000. Door To Door seems to be one of those albums that a lot of Cars fans either don't like very much or they're dismissive of it. Personally, I like the album.

It has, hands down, more song variety than any other Cars album. It has a couple of quirky, fun songs like Leave Or Stay and Ta Ta Wayo Wayo, an angsty, edgy song called Double Trouble, a country (!) song, Everything You Say, a couple of what may be called more of the classic style Cars songs, You Are The Girl and Strap Me In and it also has what may be one of the first, if not *the* first "chill out" type song called Fine Line. It's the type of song that makes more sense at 3 A.M. than 3 P.M. If you've heard it you'll know what I mean. There's also Coming Up You which is the type of innocuous nice sounding song that sounds like it could be played in a mall. Funnily enough a few years ago when I was walking through a mall I heard that song.

The album closer and title song Door To Door can only be described as "hard core". A very fast song played with an aggressive attitude and it features one of the wildest guitar solos that Elliot Easton ever did. On a personal note I was sad when the Cars broke up after that album but there are circumstances as to why that happened. All in all, besides the personal issues, in hindsight I think they actually broke up at the right time. The quality of rock and pop music seemed to be going down and I couldn't see the Cars going through the grunge era. FWIW Ric Ocasek was still making solo albums in the 90's and he seemed to be carrying on the Cars legacy. Here's a website where you can read more about the issues the Cars were having towards the end: 30 Years Ago: The Cars Run Off the Road With 'Door to Door'

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Whoops, I forgot to mention one other song on the album called Go Away. It was sung by Benjamin Orr. It has a dreamy semi-melancholy feel to it and it really should have been a hit single. Finally, one more song was Wound Up On You, a ballad that wasn't quite up to the standard of Drive but still a pretty decent song.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will give the album a listen. I've always liked EE's playing.
Thanks Alex. I think you'll enjoy most of the album. George Harrison and Elliot Easton are my two biggest guitar influences.

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
Another EE fan. Love the solo in 'Just What I Needed'. If you haven't heard it (limited play when it came out), here's a great solo tune from Mr Southpaw.

Reactions: Kenmac

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I gave it a listen. it is definately a variety of styles and like the first few heavier tunes. It sounds like a mix of members songs and they had very different styles in mind. The single " You are the Girl" gave me the wrong impression back in the day and never gave it a listen. The song "Door to door" is basically heavy metal.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another EE fan. Love the solo in 'Just What I Needed'. If you haven't heard it (limited play when it came out), here's a great solo tune from Mr Southpaw.

Thanks for that. I knew that Elliot had done a solo album back in 1985. I saw it at Sams on Yonge Street a number of years ago but I never heard this song until now.

I gave it a listen. it is definately a variety of styles and like the first few heavier tunes. It sounds like a mix of members songs and they had very different styles in mind. The single " You are the Girl" gave me the wrong impression back in the day and never gave it a listen. The song "Door to door" is basically heavy metal.
Yep, lots of variety and I agree that song is pretty much heavy metal. BTW I was checking out some more information online and I literally laughed out loud when I saw the Cars being photobombed. The expressions on Benjamin Orrs and particularly David Robinsons faces are just priceless. :D

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
I've been listening to Candy-O a lot lately. When it came out I never really noticed how good the guitar is on that album as the synth seems to play a major role but damn there's some tasty guitar playing woven around the synth on that album. They kinda faded from my attention after that album as I was discovering Iron Maiden and Judas Priest around that time.

Reactions: Kenmac

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I've been listening to Candy-O a lot lately. When it came out I never really noticed how good the guitar is on that album as the synth seems to play a major role but damn there's some tasty guitar playing woven around the synth on that album. They kinda faded from my attention after that album as I was discovering Iron Maiden and Judas Priest around that time.
We could use some Cars-like power pop right about now in the current music scene.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We could use some Cars-like power pop right about now in the current music scene.
Well, I personally wouldn't describe their music as "Power Pop". I've always considered the Cars to be an almost perfect blend of rock and pop with maybe a smidgen of new wave in the mix. I've never been keen on categories or sub-categories anyway. I like Duke Ellingtons quote about music categories, "There are two types of music, good music and bad music." :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts