The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guitar with 3 pickup spots and I was wondering if it's possible to have the back 2 pickups be emg and the neck top one be a Gibson neck pickup or and is there is a way that the neck Gibson pickup and middle emg humbucker pickup would work and play together ?

Or would it have to be 3 of the same pickup brands ?

If so do they all have to be of the same like could I use a Gibson 57, 490r and a burstbucker?

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,821 Posts
You can't really mix active and passive pickups in the same guitar.

This article will explain why better than I can, so:
Active and Passive in the Same Guitar

Pickups don't have to be the same brand, but they do need to be the same type (active vs passive).

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
You cant easily mix active and passive but you can do other interesting stuff.

You could put a high gain pickup in the middle to boost your overdrive for solos.

Gretsch Triple Jet - Wikipedia

Jack white has a mxr micro amp added to a middle pickup in a grestch.

Or put a p90 type pickup in there, like a Duncan phat cat for a killer slide sound

Nathan

·
Registered
24,360 Posts
The point has been danced around, so I'll say it more explicitly.

If you can combine piezo and mag pickups in the same guitar, and you can combine sustainer and mag pickups in the same guitar, and you can combine hex synth pickups and mag pickups inthe same guitar, then you can combine active and passive mag pickups in the same guitar.

BUT...it won't be simple or easy. The electronics for each have to NOT interact in a negative way, and the relative loudness of each needs to be balanced, so you don't have to fritter with the volume control every time you change pickups. If you have a high-endguitar tech on tap, noproblem. If you're the sort of guy who has to ask the question in the first place, I would not attempt a "mixed marriage" installation on your own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts