The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a peavey classic 50 but am not sure if I should get the 2x12 (which i've never owned) or the 4x10. I'm looking for a really clean amp with sufficient headroom that sounds warm and creamy (not shimmery/glassy). Would I be best off with the 2x12 or 4x10?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi:
From my experience, in general you're more likely to get the warmer tone from 2x12s. A lot depends on speakers of course (and the amp :smile:).
That being said, you can't get much warmer than a 4x10 blackface super!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I would vote for twelves. There are a few 'Tender Tens' that I've liked, but most have lacked the wollop and warmth of the twelve.

I've got 4 RCF 10's here if you want to build your own - they were at your father's shop for ages. They are 400 watt's a piece so I don't think they will be all that efficient with a 50 watt head though. Ther are yours if you want them though.

Paul - I used to use a 15 inch cabinet under my 4x12 with a Fender Bandmaster head - I loved it, but the 4x12 was the one that allways got mic'ed. Marcel is George's son.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re:

Hey Andy, thanks for the offer but I had a chance to listen to the Peavey Classic 50 2x12 and i'm sold...I can't pass that amp up for only $500. Now I just need to sell my halfstack or some pedals to compensate.

And yes, George Furlanetto is my father & I also work at F-Bass. I should load a bunch of our newer product shots onto this board..we've got some beauties brewing.

·
Premium Member
16,967 Posts
i only do things in 12's, unless its a 110 practise amp

but the 410 does sound pretty good, i've heard it live on a few occasions

·
Registered
42 Posts
2x12 - more ass, pronounced mids
4x10 - more focus, better upper response, more 'flubby'

this is based only on the various cabs ive had and my ears... no definitive answers to this question fer sher!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It'd be nice if you went into guitar production again. I first became aware of "F" guitars in the 80's through UZEB. I swore then that I'd own one some day. By the time I got into a position where I could afford one, y'all had stopped making guitars, and went strictly to basses. <sigh>
I know, terrible timing for me too. When we had the retail part of our business I could've had an abundance of gear at the lowest possible prices imaginable; however, we dropped everything & strictly manufactured basses (not that I havn't taken advantage of that fact) right as I got into guitar.

We are actually introducing a new F-Guitar...it's a solid body jazz. If you check out our models section on our website http://www.fbass.com you'll see it.

P.S Let me know what you think of the new site...I designed it and worked with a programmer to have it completed...the old site really needed an update.

P.S.S I know i'm getting the 2x12 now, thanks for all of the input everybody.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
And yes, George Furlanetto is my father & I also work at F-Bass. I should load a bunch of our newer product shots onto this board..we've got some beauties brewing.
:food-smiley-004: Your dad certainly knows how to make a bass. I owned 2 back in the early 90's and met your dad when you had the retail shop-had him set up my fretless.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi Marcel, glad to hear you are making amazing basses along side your Dad, tell your Dad Stephen Stepanic says hello!

do you guys still make the 4string ash/maple, that one....was my fav!

we shared booth's @ a NAMM show one year with my brothers amps edwardamp.com, and i've know George for a long while !

based on your description of tone you are looking for the 12 will be warmer and creamier, not always the rule, but the 4x10 config usually is punchier and snappier,...again, the speaker makes a big difference in the equation as well.

the 4x10 has a bigger dimensionality though

but the 2x12 will probably get you a broader range of tones

as always, never any hard and fast rules, can you try them both ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts