The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently running a 4x12 (Marshall 1960a) for my Marshall dsl50.
I am getting somewhat tired of hauling a 4x12 around, and I was wondering if there are some good 2x12 cabs that would sound pretty good with my setup. I need something in the price range, that I could trade my 4x12 for...its in really good condition so yeah...you will probably see it in the forsale/trade area sometime soon....

I have heard good things about the THD 2x12" cabinet...

also...Any Calgarians here looking to trade for a 1960a? :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any Mesa Recto 2x12 will give you nice thick sound reminiscent of a 4x12, very good lows. An Orange 2x12 as well but they can get a bit pricey.

If your in Calgary check out Avatar Cabs, distributed by Steamco. They're not as flashy but they make up for it in custom options (tolex, speakers etc.)

Hope that helps

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bogner makes some great cabs!

I played through the 2x12 closed back and was very impressed.

I have owned the Bogner cube and Shiva size ported cabs. Both of those sound great.

The best 2x12 I have owned is the front loaded Soldano 2x12.

I prefer the Soldano over the Mesa 2x12 recto (although the Mesa is a great sounding cab).

Best regards,

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Dr. Z "Z best" is a great cab, its a closed back ported cab and sounds huge. You pay for it though, its about $1000 (maybe less now with the dollar improving) and weighs 60 pounds. The THD is also very good, but doesn't sound as "big" as the Z.

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
hm. orange 212, most likely.

that and mesa, avatar, ear candy, lopoline. an oversize 212 would be pretty 412 sounding im fairly sure :p

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so...what exactly will I be forfeiting from switching from a 4x12 to a 2x12...im beginning to rethink this.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh man I hear ya...Just taking the 4x12 up the dual deck of stairs in my house with my Dad helping me...so ridiculously hard. I don't want to do this anymore. So do you think my tone wont change a whole lot? Any suggestions on speakers to look for in the cabs I'm getting? Vintage 30s? Eminence? (the Soldano cab has eminence speakers I think)? or does it matter...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah I know haha...I'm thinking, since the head I use is pretty standard at guitar stores, I will see if my local one has one in stock, and pair it up with some different cabs and see what I like. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
thing to remember is that it'll sound different in the store then at a band practise/your jam room.

depending on the size and speakers of the 212, you wont be losing much from your 412. look up return policies to see if you can take a cab home to test drive - just dont scratch it!

·
Registered
401 Posts
imho, pound for pound, nothing sounds like a good 4x12.....

having said that: swansoncabinets.com makes the finest cabs I have ever heard, they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for, his oversized 1x12 is bigger sounding than most 2x12's I've heard and his 2x12's will knock you out !

as always IMO only....and you know what's that's worth (what you paid for it !) :food-smiley-004:

p.s. speaker choice makes a paramount difference in this whole equation as well.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok then, thanks guys. I will take a look a those. I dont want to spend too much though, but I will see what I can do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts