The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a Fender Deluxe Reverb head and subsequently had a 2x10" open back cab made by Derrick Bell pictured below (He does fantastic work by the way!)
The sound I'd like to closely emulate is what I heard in a classic 60's Vibrolux amp. Needless to say I'm only expecting to be able to get only so far in that quest with what I have but that said what 2x10" speakers should I get to approach that sound? I describe it as bell-like chime with creamy goodness suitable for blues or rockin' blues.
I am somewhat on a budget so I'd like to keep the speaker cost at not much more than $100 per.
Any suggestions?

210 Fender style ext cab (2).jpg
210 Fender style ext cab.jpg

Reactions: greco

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
BF V-Lux tone is in large part thanks to C10Ns, but you probably won't find vintage Jensens in your budget, so how about a mismatched pair? Something like an Eminence Lil Buddy (10" version of a Cannabis Rex - ideal for warming up a brittle amp) & the chime from a Weber Blue Dog might complement each other nicely.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
BF V-Lux tone is in large part thanks to C10Ns, but you probably won't find vintage Jensens in your budget, so how about a mismatched pair? Something like an Eminence Lil Buddy (10" version of a Cannabis Rex - ideal for warming up a brittle amp) & the chime from a Weber Blue Dog might complement each other nicely.
Doesn't Weber have a close approximate of vintage Jensen? That would be what I would go for.

·
Administrator
16,452 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
if your going for another baffle, why not think out of the box and get a 12" and 10 "...
I did that and it worked out just fine.
G.

DSC05106s.jpg

DSC05093s.jpg

·
Administrator
16,452 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Doesn't Weber have a close approximate of vintage Jensen? That would be what I would go for.
I was afraid of blowing the original speakers in my '66 Vibrolux so I put in a pair of Weber's take on a P10Q. Ugh. They were very dull & lifeless in comparison, the original C10Ns went back in right away (I just don't turn the amp past noon).

Once had a Vibro King that was loaded with Weber Californias - got it from a country player that was trying to increase clean headroom - he acquiesced & got a Super Reverb. Excellent cleans & held together nicely when pushed, one of those might work well with something else. I'm a big fan of the complexity of 2 differently-voiced speakers & how the various frequencies complement each other.

The Blue Dog suggestion was in response to the OP's request for "chime", but if you can find a Celestion Gold I know you'd be very happy. Sparkle & chime without being harsh, they break up nicely & don't fart out like the RI Jensens. 10s are less, so if you can find them used they might not be as far over your budget as you might think.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
The issue going new or used is that you'll require a pair of 4 or 16 ohm speakers to meet the DR's 8-ohm out, which will likely limit your choices.

If you were willing to run a 4-ohm load, my absolute best recommendation for real vintage goodness would be a pair of SF-period Fender/CTS AlNiCos. Without fail, every time I've passed a pair along (usually to a VR owner), they've gotten back to me to say they FINALLY have the vintage sound they've been chasing.

Otherwise, as Jason pointed out, Celestion Golds would be your best best (though not within budget)

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The issue going new or used is that you'll require a pair of 4 or 16 ohm speakers to meet the DR's 8-ohm out, which will likely limit your choices.

If you were willing to run a 4-ohm load, my absolute best recommendation for real vintage goodness would be a pair of SF-period Fender/CTS AlNiCos. Without fail, every time I've passed a pair along (usually to a VR owner), they've gotten back to me to say they FINALLY have the vintage sound they've been chasing.

Otherwise, as Jason pointed out, Celestion Golds would be your best best (though not within budget)
My Weber Z Matcher was the best 100 bucks I ever spent on amp gear. I don't have to worry about impedance at all anymore. I buy speakers whenever there's a good deal.

I've got a single 8 ohm Jensen in my 2 ohm Super and a single 16ohm C.Rex in my 8 ohm Princeton, and a single 16 Ohm Lady Luck for my 8 ohm Pine.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hey guys....while we're on the topic of speakers..... I have a number of Fender baskets/frames, most are 12" a few 10's (alnico) and from late 60's to mid 70's.
I have been contemplating tossing them for a few years now but I just can't bring myself to seeing these in a scrap pile!
I would imagine Santon Audio or someone out there would have kits. I do recones myself but I'm not interested in refurbishing these ones.
If anyone is interested and wants 'em...they're yours for the taking.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
I have the 63 reissue Vibroverb Brownface which originally had the 2x10 oxfords butoriginal owner upgraded to the legend 1028k's.

Derrick Bell made me a 2 x 12 and I put an eminence wizard and a eminence governor. Sounds night and day better the 2 legends. These are their takes on the celestion v30 and a greenback

Reactions: davetcan

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
double post

1 - 20 of 23 Posts