The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

25 essential Gibson Les Paul mods and upgrade

7K views 64 replies 22 participants last post by  laristotle 
#1 ·
#4 ·
The only things I do to mine is put in some Bob Mizek pickups, top wrap and remove the tone pot out of the circuit.

I like the extra slinkieness that top wrapping provides and removing the tone pot out of the equation adds a bit more raunch to the sound IMO. And once I was introduced to Bob's pickups, I became a fan.

#5 ·
That was a very good point on the pickup height. I found that out with my Dean Boca. They were way to low. The pickup really changed when set closer to the strings. I wonder how many have never tried this adjustment and thought it was a poor pickup.

#9 ·
You're 100% right on that, and P90's are even more sensitive to it.

Then there's the balance between both. If properly adjusted, middle position should give you (on a humbucker equipped guitar) some of that Strat out of phase quack.

They're "possible" mods, not required.
Well ... they say essential.

#11 · (Edited)
What a poorly written article. Few of those mods are truely 'essential' so much as a matter of taste and some of them are mutually exclusive so you can't actually do them all (8vs 24 - pickups; 1 vs 13 vs 14 -wiring; 15 vs 18 - vibrato devices... speaking of modless vibratos, how is there no love for the Bowen Handle, LOL) . One of them is just plain puzzling (16 - Wilkinson wrap around bridge is not an upgrade here - not talking about a vintage Jr and I dunno who would think of putting one on a 50s Standard, but I guess it's possible someone out there would consider it an improvement - in both cases there are much better options and a lively debate in the case of the old Stds). It's like the editor said 'I need a list of 25' and the writer could only think of 19 and had to pad it out.

The only one that comes anywhere close to being 'essential' IMHO (because it is a matter of physical robustness, but I would just wait until the original broke to replace it; as would most people) is 19 - Metal Jack plate.

That said, this is a decent rundown of the top mods for an LP and a handy reference due to some of the pics and diagrams; I just can't stand click baity titles and poor prose.

#16 ·
1) How is top-wrapping a mod?
2) Adjusting pickup & polepiece height should be part of a set up, again not a mod.
3) Although they mentioned an al-you-min-ee-yum tailpiece, tailpiece clamping & referred to Faber, there was no mention of the maple flame mod for bridge posts.

#17 ·
I'd be interested to watch how you play the guitar.

I have my pickups quite High. This was adjusted while I was playing to get the best possible sound, sustain, etc. It was extremely noticeable.

The only issue is that that particular pickup height tends to have me bounce the strings off the bridge pickup fairly regularly.

It only happens when I'm playing without a pick, so I've learned to adapt by making it a percussive effect.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#19 ·
That Jimmy Page wiring always makes me laugh. Page didn't do that stuff to his own guitars until after the Zeppelin era so all the people who do this mod thinking they are getting his Zeppelin tones are actually getting his tone with The Firm and The Black Crowes.

#20 ·
1) How is top-wrapping a mod?
2) Adjusting pickup & polepiece height should be part of a set up, again not a mod.
3) Although they mentioned an al-you-min-ee-yum tailpiece, tailpiece clamping & referred to Faber, there was no mention of the maple flame mod for bridge posts.
They had to get to the number 25 somehow.

Reactions: BSTheTech
#21 ·
That Jimmy Page wiring always makes me laugh. Page didn't do that stuff to his own guitars until after the Zeppelin era so all the people who do this mod thinking they are getting his Zeppelin tones are actually getting his tone with The Firm and The Black Crowes.
He also swapped out the original PAF for a T-Top (aka what was available at the time) in the early 70s, so boutique PAF clones (or even vintage) may not get you the sound you want depending on what era JP tone you're chasing.

But it does give you some pretty cool sounds & makes a Les Paul an even more versatile guitar.

#23 ·
Everyone is a critic.

I thought that there were a few good references within the article.
I won't bother next time.
I thought so too. Even if we get one point or suggestion from them, it's a positive post. Keep posting those interesting articles

Reactions: Dorian2
#26 ·
A few new ideas, a couple of really old one. Absolutely nothing essential, though. Too bad the title is so 'click-baity'.

My Norlin LPC has fewer mods than any of my other guitars, with the exception of my 335 (both have zero mods, although I had to replace a volume pot in the LP from overuse).

#29 ·
I actually just ordered one of these guys in nickel, so I can age it. I've been missing a trem. My only worry is that there is some sort of sacrifice with tone and/or sustain. Either way, it'll be easy to remove and easy to sell, since it'll be here instead of Europe (which seems to be the only place to buy them.)

Aging it should also help sell it plus a few pics with the trem arm removed (it doesn't look too bad with the arm out).

Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument

#30 ·
Yeah, we are definitely not "shooting the messenger" @sulphur and thanks for the post. You never know if someone picks up a guitar (any guitar) that has "issues" then there are some pointers here that could be helpful.....Or, for someone who just likes fiddling with guitars....or.....a poorly made one that could use some upgrades.

#31 ·
I'd agree with most opinions here to say, these are by no means "essential", but some good stuff for sure. All forums are based on multiple views converging in one place. So, agree/disagree/agree to disagree (as long as there's respect), this was a good post. No shooting the messenger from this guy.
However, I personally believe a Les Paul is perfect! I don't need to do anything to it. Some would say that of a Strat too, but I own several, and they all have something "not stock" going on in there. Like music in general, tone is subjective. I think EVH's tone on the debut album is his absolute best, but he's been chasing "better" tone since day one. Personally, I think he's morphed it into a synthetic mess, but that's me. My first guitar was a Harmony Strat knock-off (still have it) and I did everything I could to make it sound fatter, beefier, fuller. I've had it S/S/S, H/S/S, H/S/H, H/H, H/S, and nothing did it. I got me a LP, and all was right in the world. I've since restored that old Harmony to (look) like it's original self. I never play it dirty, it gives great clean tones. Go figure.

#32 ·
I actually just ordered one of these guys in nickel, so I can age it. I've been missing a trem. My only worry is that there is some sort of sacrifice with tone and/or sustain. Either way, it'll be easy to remove and easy to sell, since it'll be here instead of Europe (which seems to be the only place to buy them.)

Aging it should also help sell it plus a few pics with the trem arm removed (it doesn't look too bad with the arm out).

View attachment 139161

Does it come with roller saddles or does it still use the original saddles?

#37 ·
At home, I tend to just crank it and leave the guitar, experimenting on rare occasion.
With a band, I tend to work it a bit more, depending on the song.

Retaining the highs is what I'd be after more than anything when turning down, would that just require a treble bleed mod?

#36 ·

View attachment 139161
Now it all makes sense.......your 80s guitar god is actually Neil Schon.

Don't do it man, just buy a DGT instead.

#40 ·
If you are doing big drops, I can see that happening. I use TOM's (no roller) with a Bigsby on 3 of my guitars and I haven't had that problem. But I'm only doing small modulations, never more than a full step - which is what the Bigsby's best at, IMO.

Reactions: BSTheTech
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.