The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
The only things I do to mine is put in some Bob Mizek pickups, top wrap and remove the tone pot out of the circuit.

I like the extra slinkieness that top wrapping provides and removing the tone pot out of the equation adds a bit more raunch to the sound IMO. And once I was introduced to Bob's pickups, I became a fan.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
That was a very good point on the pickup height. I found that out with my Dean Boca. They were way to low. The pickup really changed when set closer to the strings. I wonder how many have never tried this adjustment and thought it was a poor pickup.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Those are mods aren't necessary at all tho any guitar could have them done.

And it's no different than experimenting with different string gauges.

Some like stock guitars while others like to tweak and tinker.

It's no different than cars, motorcycles, golf clubs, etc.

·
Registered
759 Posts
That was a very good point on the pickup height. I found that out with my Dean Boca. They were way to low. The pickup really changed when set closer to the strings. I wonder how many have never tried this adjustment and thought it was a poor pickup.
You're 100% right on that, and P90's are even more sensitive to it.

Then there's the balance between both. If properly adjusted, middle position should give you (on a humbucker equipped guitar) some of that Strat out of phase quack.

They're "possible" mods, not required.
Well ... they say essential.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
What a poorly written article. Few of those mods are truely 'essential' so much as a matter of taste and some of them are mutually exclusive so you can't actually do them all (8vs 24 - pickups; 1 vs 13 vs 14 -wiring; 15 vs 18 - vibrato devices... speaking of modless vibratos, how is there no love for the Bowen Handle, LOL) . One of them is just plain puzzling (16 - Wilkinson wrap around bridge is not an upgrade here - not talking about a vintage Jr and I dunno who would think of putting one on a 50s Standard, but I guess it's possible someone out there would consider it an improvement - in both cases there are much better options and a lively debate in the case of the old Stds). It's like the editor said 'I need a list of 25' and the writer could only think of 19 and had to pad it out.

The only one that comes anywhere close to being 'essential' IMHO (because it is a matter of physical robustness, but I would just wait until the original broke to replace it; as would most people) is 19 - Metal Jack plate.

That said, this is a decent rundown of the top mods for an LP and a handy reference due to some of the pics and diagrams; I just can't stand click baity titles and poor prose.

·
Registered
481 Posts
IMHO #1, is an essential mod -- 50s wiring is on all my guitars ( LP or not, really like it on Teles!) and there are easier variations on the theme than the one shown there.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
You're 100% right on that, and P90's are even more sensitive to it.

Then there's the balance between both. If properly adjusted, middle position should give you (on a humbucker equipped guitar) some of that Strat out of phase quack.

Well ... they say essential.
I didn't know that. I have been around here for almost ten years and it surprises me how much I still learn from you guys and gals.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I didn't know that. I have been around here for almost ten years and it surprises me how much I still learn from you guys and gals.
To adjust P90's, this is what works best for me:
Bridge should be very close to the strings, say 1/8" to start with, maybe closer. Find that height that is border line screaching, then lower half a turn of the screw. Then lower the neck to 1/8" off the body, or lower. Then while switching from neck to middle, raise the neck until you get that quacky, almost Stratish tone out of the middle position. You'll love the middle position tone, once everything is properly adjusted. This can take some time finding the sweet spot.
By finding the right neck pup height, you'll get three very different tones from each toggle switch position. AND the neck will clean up pretty easy.

Here explained differently from another post I made:
Here's how I do it for the neck, once I've found the sweet spot for the bridge.

Neck position has to be different from middle position. Many people have the neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets that almost Strat quacky sound. You'll know what I mean when you get there. So, raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, your neck pup is still too high.

If after finding a good balance between both pups, you want something les aggressive, lower each pup the same amount of screw turns.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
1) How is top-wrapping a mod?
2) Adjusting pickup & polepiece height should be part of a set up, again not a mod.
3) Although they mentioned an al-you-min-ee-yum tailpiece, tailpiece clamping & referred to Faber, there was no mention of the maple flame mod for bridge posts.

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
I'd be interested to watch how you play the guitar.

I have my pickups quite High. This was adjusted while I was playing to get the best possible sound, sustain, etc. It was extremely noticeable.

The only issue is that that particular pickup height tends to have me bounce the strings off the bridge pickup fairly regularly.

It only happens when I'm playing without a pick, so I've learned to adapt by making it a percussive effect.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
That Jimmy Page wiring always makes me laugh. Page didn't do that stuff to his own guitars until after the Zeppelin era so all the people who do this mod thinking they are getting his Zeppelin tones are actually getting his tone with The Firm and The Black Crowes.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
1) How is top-wrapping a mod?
2) Adjusting pickup & polepiece height should be part of a set up, again not a mod.
3) Although they mentioned an al-you-min-ee-yum tailpiece, tailpiece clamping & referred to Faber, there was no mention of the maple flame mod for bridge posts.
They had to get to the number 25 somehow.

Reactions: BSTheTech
1 - 20 of 65 Posts