The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My band is going to be doing a charity 24 hour play-a-thon in September. We have already planned instrument changes, exercise breaks (joint stretches), accapella (sp?) sets and so on. We have even arranged for other musicians to come in and help with instrument care, breakdown and all the sundry stuff that we will likely be too tired to do safely particularly at the end of the show. We also took the step of getting volunteer medical staff to supervise the band during the 24 hour period in case anything goes wrong that needs immediate attention.

I was wondering if any of you have done anything like this before (doesn't have to be 24 hours) and if so if you have any advice to offer on surviving this type of gig.

C

·
0 Posts
I've come close to playing that kinda stretch around St Patricks Day, but have never done 24 straight hours....

What charity?

(I think this is a really cool idea!)

*edit... Thinking about this, I'd use this as an opportunity to record.... and to not play the same song twice.

Thinking.... standard bar gig, 9-1.... what, 40 songs? That's only 240 songs for 24 hours...
If you figured no breaks and about 5 min per song, that's still only 288 songs...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've come close to playing that kinda stretch around St Patricks Day, but have never done 24 straight hours....

What charity?

(I think this is a really cool idea!)

*edit... Thinking about this, I'd use this as an opportunity to record.... and to not play the same song twice.

Thinking.... standard bar gig, 9-1.... what, 40 songs? That's only 240 songs for 24 hours...
If you figured no breaks and about 5 min per song, that's still only 288 songs...
It's for Siloam Mission here in Winnipeg. They operate a kitchen and shelter for the homeless and often run into funding issues. It seemed a no-brainer to us as it is a community issue.

We will be recording everything, we always do :) We are also planning on doing sing-alongs. P&W sets, and hymns.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My band is going to be doing a charity 24 hour play-a-thon in September. We have already planned instrument changes, exercise breaks (joint stretches), accapella (sp?) sets and so on. We have even arranged for other musicians to come in and help with instrument care, breakdown and all the sundry stuff that we will likely be too tired to do safely particularly at the end of the show. We also took the step of getting volunteer medical staff to supervise the band during the 24 hour period in case anything goes wrong that needs immediate attention.

I was wondering if any of you have done anything like this before (doesn't have to be 24 hours) and if so if you have any advice to offer on surviving this type of gig.
regds 24 play a thon,

just a reminder to make use of comfortable seating as well.include pool side lounge chairs.

C

·
0 Posts
What's a "P&W Set"?

What's yer set structure gonna be like? 45 on, 15 off? Hour on, half off?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe the longest gig I ever did was around 8 hours. IIRC we ran out of material sometime after the 5th hour so, armed with the hosts music collection and cassette deck, we spent our breaks learning new songs. It was a pretty funny night; totally relaxed and carefree.

For a 24 hour show my advice would be to play each song at a slower, more relaxed, tempo. Stretch them out and experiment within them.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
It's for Siloam Mission here in Winnipeg. They operate a kitchen and shelter for the homeless and often run into funding issues. It seemed a no-brainer to us as it is a community issue.

We will be recording everything, we always do :) We are also planning on doing sing-alongs. P&W sets, and hymns.
Hey Fenderman, when in Sept? I wouldn't mind driving in and checking it out. Sounds like a good cause and some good exposure.

C

·
0 Posts
"we ran out of material sometime after the 5th hour"
Really!?!?! That's only about 45-50 songs....

I think I forgot that many songs, the last time I went on a 3 day bender....

,-)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's a "P&W Set"?

What's yer set structure gonna be like? 45 on, 15 off? Hour on, half off?
Praise and Worship. The structure is set in 3 hour blocks with 2 minutes between songs and a 15 minute break every 3 hours. We will also be doing our normal 2 hour concert set 3 times over the 24 hour period. Should be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe the longest gig I ever did was around 8 hours. IIRC we ran out of material sometime after the 5th hour so, armed with the hosts music collection and cassette deck, we spent our breaks learning new songs. It was a pretty funny night; totally relaxed and carefree.

For a 24 hour show my advice would be to play each song at a slower, more relaxed, tempo. Stretch them out and experiment within them.
That is pretty much the idea when we discussed it. The high energy will come during the concert sets and the rest of the time will be doing other fun things, such as songs from musicals, Christmas tunes, and some jam/rehearsal time. Our main repertoire is over 80 songs and the rest will be a mixture of fake books, P&W lead by one of our team and straight improvisation.

Hey Fenderman, when in Sept? I wouldn't mind driving in and checking it out. Sounds like a good cause and some good exposure.
It will be on September 28 and 29th. I can post more details once I get them, but it is a done deal. We will be playing out of Douglas Mennonite in East K.

"we ran out of material sometime after the 5th hour"

I think I forgot that many songs, the last time I went on a 3 day bender....

,-)
LOL! :rockon2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the deck chair idea, especially with my back :) Another we are doing is only using the in-ears for the concert sets, the rest of the time we will be running a back-line of amps. That is something we never do normally. I figure that the ears would tire of the in-ear monitors after an extended period of time and that it would be healthier to give the ears a break with different input, if that makes sense :) If anyone has input on that please post it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Have someone else to drive you home afterwards. You wouldn't want to do such an awesome event and then fall asleep and wreck your car on the way home.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have someone else to drive you home afterwards. You wouldn't want to do such an awesome event and then fall asleep and wreck your car on the way home.
Good thought! We have an army of chauffeurs arranged. It was the easiest thing to get volunteers for. Next step is getting enough musician volunteers to help with tear down. Not sure I want to tackle the PA and my amps after 24 hours of playing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We were only 15 or 16 years old at the time. We had bigger fish to fry in those days; girls, drugs, so on and so forth. I believe that we had only intended to play for 3 hours but the party was going so well and we were having so much fun that we kept going... and going... and going.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As already suggested, experimentation would be a very cool thing to do with your more practiced songs. If you are a fan of Jimi Hendrix at all, or have ever seen him at Woodstock... I suggest you do what he did with Voodoo Chile(Slight Return) and create a huge cornucopia of awesome and ailing improvisation.

My 5 cents.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As already suggested, experimentation would be a very cool thing to do with your more practiced songs. If you are a fan of Jimi Hendrix at all, or have ever seen him at Woodstock... I suggest you do what he did with Voodoo Chile(Slight Return) and create a huge cornucopia of awesome and ailing improvisation.

My 5 cents.
There will be plenty of that...I am sure. We even have rehearsal sets where we will be working on our B list of songs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well we hit the stage Friday at 7am. If you are in the area drop in and check it out. Details are on our web site which is listed on my profile. Could be the most public train wreck ever but it is worthy of the cause :D

If you do come by be sure to say hello.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts