The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started playing again a year ago after 20yrs... Not very good, not in a band, so loud volume isn't a concern.

I had a Crate GX15, was a freebie. Wasn't a fan so researched and grabbed a silverstripe Bandit 112. Big mistake.... Great sounding amp but loud, and turned down low it didn't sound great anymore. Plus a lot of knobs... I think for me, I just want to sit down, hit a preset and play. Shame because the Bandit is a nice solid amp, but just more than I can use.

I tried some amps and I like the Vox VT X series. 20x and 40x.

Volume wise the 20x is more than enough. My concern is that it's an 8" vs 10" speaker. Lose some on the lower end. Then again, I heard that tube amps sound better turned up, and these have a tube preamp, so if I went 40x maybe it won't sound as good turned down... Like the Bandit did.

I think the Bandit is sold, pending pickup essentially... Vox also on sale ending tomorrow...

Looking for some last minute advice.... Information I may have missed.... Something to tip the scale.

Would a 20w sound better at lower volume than 40w? 10" speaker sound better than 8"? That type deal. Less than $100CAD difference betweenthe two so wondering if worth the upside.

I'm also not against the idea of one day modding the Vox to add a 3/4" jack and maybe making a 1x12 cab for it but... Ideally just get an amp I like that needs no mods.

Not looking for advice about the Vox itself... I know I want the Valvetronix Vox, not a Fender, Marshall, Orange or Boss etc... Just some feedback about the benefits of one vs the other.

If helps, I like rock, classic rock... Boston, Ozzy, Slash, Scorpions, Queen... I have LP and Fender type guitars. No shredding or anything like that.

·
Premium Member
17,189 Posts
40w and a 10. 60w and a 12 if you can swing it.

Reactions: keto

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly it's a big jump up price wise.

Sound wise though, no issues at low volume with a 40w vs 20w?

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
You don’t need more than 20W. When people talk about overdriving an amp, that’s the power tubes, not the preamp tubes, which are controlled thru your tone and gain knobs. Unless it has modelled in overdrive built into the power section. But, to me, more speaker(s) has always equated to much bigger fullness and bottom end, so it’s probably a trade off, if the bigger speaker only comes with more power.

Not to get too analytical but it is true too that not all speakers are created equally, the smaller one could sound better than the big one. And yet again a little different after broken in a bit.

I always have owned more amp power than I will ever really need in at least 1 piece around here. Before I switched to bass, I for a few years used mostly big 50W and 100W tube heads thru a 1x12 in a basement only band, and I almost always had excellent tone at volume appropriate for the location, we had an actual dB limit lol. Better to have the headroom in case you get into a band or like to really crank it once in a while.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
VT15 and VT20. For under $150 surely. They’re the Bomb. And if you can get the foot switch all the better.

8” vs 10” won’t be noticed in such an amp. And if you want full fidelity plug in your headphones.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, the 15w amp I had was plenty loud, but sounded bad... 80w amp sounded good, loud only, on low the distortion wasn't great. Plus, I like the idea of a modelling amp for ease-of-use... sit down, want to play some Queen, no problem, press 1 button and done.

I think my main concern is more about which one will sound better at the same volume level.

If volume wise, both were low (ie. bedroom level) would the 10" sound 'fuller'? More low end?

I will say, I have no issues with modding the amp eventually. I have seen a few people with the previous version of the VT20X and VT40X (the 20+/40+) drilling a hole in the back, adding in a 1/4" jack for an external speaker. Then playing with an 8" and a 12" same time.... downside is, takes up more space which I'm hoping to avoid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts