The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,718 Posts

"Reticon" Flanger? So is this a limited run of 14 pedals? Where the hell do they get Reticon chips that nobody else seems able to find for love or money? Or are they using the term "Reticon" to suggest a certain tone? Clearly it is attempting to be a sort of uber-DEM, but how?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

"Reticon" Flanger? So is this a limited run of 14 pedals? Where the hell do they get Reticon chips that nobody else seems able to find for love or money? Or are they using the term "Reticon" to suggest a certain tone? Clearly it is attempting to be a sort of uber-DEM, but how?
Yes this is a limited run.

On their website:
Due to the scarcity of NOS Reticon bucket brigade devices, there will be a limited number of Flangers available.

Unless more NOS Reticon chips become available, we envisage only one production run occuring at this time.

Here's the story about the reticon chips:

They say:"we managed to locate the actual, original Reticon chips that were recovered from Buffalo FX’s closed operations."

Verlie told me they have made 90 Reticon flanger and they had 50 reticon chips to make more and that's all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am not in the market for a flanger but man now I want one because of the backstory, thats pretty nifty.

On their website:
Due to the scarcity of NOS Reticon bucket brigade devices, there will be a limited number of Flangers available.

Unless more NOS Reticon chips become available, we envisage only one production run occuring at this time.

They say:"we managed to locate the actual, original Reticon chips that were recovered from Buffalo FX’s closed operations."

Verlie told me they have made 90 Reticon flanger and they had 50 reticon chips to make more and that's all.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Didn't think I'd buy yet another guitar after putting together 4 of them last year, but I haven't had a Tele in years. This one has never been played by the seller (unused 2020 X-mas present) and a joke of a price at $120. Difficult to pass up. Plan to give it an extensive setup & install a humbucker lead (or maybe a Filtertron) in this Indonesian Bullet cheapie. Should be fun.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Guitar accessory String instrument

·
Premium Member
27,718 Posts

On their website:

I dunno. Replicating the tone of an early-issue Electric Mistress CAN be done with current-production chips. It requires additional circuitry, to compensate for what came naturally to the Reticon chips but not to the Panasonic chips. But I think of all the owners of well-loved vintage effects who cannot find a replacement delay chip for love or money. To see this lot used for the purpose of new "authenticity", kind of bugs me. If either of my MXR Micro-Flangers went on the fritz, I could probably never bring them back to life. And they're not the only SAD-512-based flangers or choruses out there.

There is no denying that some of the very best flangers EVER used Reticon chips, whether 512-stage or 1024-stage. The reason is that the clock inputs on those chips had very low input capacitance, enabling them to handle very high clock frequencies, necessary to achieve the ultra-short minimum delays needed for dramatic and "chewy" flanging tones. The Panasonic chips have a much higher clock input capacitance, which tends to "de-square" the clock pulses it gets, once they get above 100khz or so. If the clock pulses are nicely buffered, however, the Panasonic chips can be pushed MUCH higher. I've personally seen one get safely pushed up to 1.5mhz. This is why I say the tone of the old Reticon-based flangers can be replicated with even lowly Coolaudio and Beling chips.

I don't wish to be critical of someone honoring a great design. But it starts to feel like someone shooting an elephant, in order to have the ivory to perfectly replicate the keys of a late 1800s Steinway.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Spent a whooping $32 for both of these, new in boxes. Seller told me he has bought 20 Joyo pedals and wouldn't be using those two. I didn't ask what was the deal with the 20 pedals.
Green Circuit component Electronic instrument Cutting mat Font

Circuit component Audio equipment Font Electronic instrument Gadget

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
@Brunz , I went to buy one guitar. The guy had about 20 or more that he was going to put up for sale. If I had enough money, I could have easily come home with a half dozen or more. Hence, a cash flow issue. I changed my mind about 15 times, concerning what was going to come home with me. The number of guitars that came home, was due to no more money coming out, of my used to be fat wallet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
@Brunz , I went to buy one guitar. The guy had about 20 or more that he was going to put up for sale. If I had enough money, I could have easily come home with a half dozen or more. Hence, a cash flow issue. I changed my mind about 15 times, concerning what was going to come home with me. The number of guitars that came home, was due to no more money coming out, of my used to be fat wallet.
Im just givin ya a hard time mate, which i probably shouldn't do seein as im new here... but I have to say I am jealous a little bit. Took me 20 years to come home with a new strat :)
I suppose to be honest I just do not suffer the GAS as some others seem to and for that I am glad. Lord knows i have enough bad habbits.

All I can assume is that if those are the two you came home with and you had a hard time deciding, it must have been quite the collection.

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Not because i wanted to but had to buy two pedals as the old ones sorta crapped out. Got a Wampler Ego compressor and a MXR delay. I will be looking shortly at getting an overdrive pedal (Wampler Timnus) and possibly an amp as soon as i start gigging again. Right now, i dont have any amps in my house for the first time since 1968 !!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After buying the gold version, why not get his little friend.

Sinvertek N5+3D preamp pedal - Titanium Version

Electronic instrument Audio equipment Rectangle Terrestrial plant Font

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Not because i wanted to but had to buy two pedals as the old ones sorta crapped out. Got a Wampler Ego compressor and a MXR delay. I will be looking shortly at getting an overdrive pedal (Wampler Timnus) and possibly an amp as soon as i start gigging again. Right now, i dont have any amps in my house for the first time since 1968 !!!
As I know you're familiar with them, you're welcome to borrow my Peavey Special130 or Bandit if you need it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts