The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Who Will Hoist Lord Stanley's Cup In 2021? Teams Listed In Order Of Final Regular Season Standings

• Colorado

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Vegas

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Carolina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Florida

• Pittsburg

• Toronto

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Washington

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Tampa Bay

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Minnesota

• Boston

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • NY Islanders

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Nashville

• Winnipeg

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • St.Louis

• Montreal

Votes: 9 20.9%
221 - 240 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Read an article on TSN about this years Habs and the comparisons to “unlikely” team of 93. Give me a break!
Montreal might be considered “focused”, but they haven’t faced a focused team yet. Leafs had no idea how to play as “the favourites” and blew it, the Jets looked disorganized at best. Vegas or the Avs will give the rude awakening.
it will not be a 70’s final of Boston vs Montreal.

·
Premium Member
18,387 Posts
I'll be honest, I don't really follow hockey much anymore so I can't make any bold predictions or testimonies.

But, I did watch some of the Toronto / Montreal series and a good bit of the Montreal / Winnipeg series.

I hope Montreal goes all the way, but that's just based on wishful thinking, not knowledge or insight.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Anyone who says they had seen this coming with the Habs winning the north is an outright liar, lol. Montreal has the mojo and Price is looking like he did 6-8 years ago. The young kids are fearless and just having a shit-load of fun,... to young to realize they should be nervous? I just wonder when they meet either Colorado or Vegas if the Habs are ready and or able to play a physical brand of hockey for an entire series,... they have surprised the hockey world so far so who knows what they are capable of. Will it be the 'Cinderella Story' of 2021?,... if so I don't know how I will be able to live with some of my Hab fan family members, lol.

Yeah, Bruins are in deep now. Missed another opportunity to apply pressure on the Islanders. Cassidy hooked Rask from between the pipes in the third,... good strategy to get the team motivated but too little too late. Again they did not show enough urgency late in the third to get the extra man on the ice,... not enough fight in the Islanders zone to sustain puck control. Sounds like Rask may be a little beat up as indicated by coach Cassidy. Swayman may get the call in game 6 and I have total confidence in him to play well as he had shown in the regular season,... just hope the team wakes up in front of him.

However, not feeling too confident that Boston will force a game 7. From what I've seen in the last couple games and considering that the next game is in New York I give the Bruins a 20% chance of winning game 6,... they may want to pack their clubs for the trip as well.
The Habs were down 3-1 in games.....fans in Toronto were planning the parade route. So it ain't over till it's over. The story for the B's was Varlamov....he kept the Isles in the game and Rask didn't....throw in some blown coverages and top shelf snipes by Barzal, Eberle, Bailey and Nelson and that was enough to win. B's top line showed up and I expect them to do the same next game.....Marchand is a beast and the gang leader for Boston.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
And I wonder if Ritchie will get a game for the sneaky elbow to Mayfield's head.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Go Habs Go!
They should have let the Jets have one or two though, just so they don't have to sit around and go stale like the Jets did.
Can't fault Hellebuyck at all, he gave them a chance every night and they just couldn't deliver any offence.
Unfortunately from here on in it's likely to be a street fight, and I don't think the Habs can go toe-to-toe with the big boys.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Go Habs Go!
They should have let the Jets have one or two though, just so they don't have to sit around and go stale like the Jets did.
Can't fault Hellebuyck at all, he gave them a chance every night and they just couldn't deliver any offence.
Unfortunately from here on in it's likely to be a street fight, and I don't think the Habs can go toe-to-toe with the big boys.
Only Tampa has a better top 4 D as Montreal. Weber, Edmundson, Chiarot,....big boys who can rumble. Petry....all round great D man. Kulak, speed and moves. They might want to play Romanov in place of Gustafsson, as he plays a heavier game. They're scoring by committee....Toffoli, Suzuki, Armia, Perry, Staal (with the helpers), Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Lekhonen,....role players Byron and Danault. And then there's Price between the pipes. If he can steal a couple games, who knows.....he's in the zone.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
The Habs were down 3-1 in games.....fans in Toronto were planning the parade route. So it ain't over till it's over. The story for the B's was Varlamov....he kept the Isles in the game and Rask didn't....throw in some blown coverages and top shelf snipes by Barzal, Eberle, Bailey and Nelson and that was enough to win. B's top line showed up and I expect them to do the same next game.....Marchand is a beast and the gang leader for Boston.
Good point about the Islander snipes. If I'm not mistaken they were all top shelf,... which is what I mentioned the scouting report to be on Rask a few posts ago. Teams know this and take advantage of it every year. I wonder if this was one of the reasons Cassidy pulled Rask out of the game.

If Rask gets the nod for game six I certainly hope he adjusts his game,... but if Swayman gets the call It wouldn't upset me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
And I wonder if Ritchie will get a game for the sneaky elbow to Mayfield's head.
Though Ritchie would be more of a physical presence during this series,... but not by sharpening his elbows.
He was fined $5,000 for the elbow and no game suspension,... lucky.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Cassidy’s whine-fest turned out to be expensive and will likely have the Nassau rocking tomorrow night. Should make for an exciting game to watch.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Cassidy’s whine-fest turned out to be expensive and will likely have the Nassau rocking tomorrow night. Should make for an exciting game to watch.
Don't usually see Cassidy criticizing the officiating,... actually can't remember ever seeing him do so to this extent in the past. Must be trying to perk up the ears of the stripes for game 6 to take a closer or second look,... don't think it was the smartest $25,000 investment, lol.

Anyways, as a Bruins fan the only way for them to win is to play through any poor officiating if should happen and focus on the task at hand,... trying to stay alive for a game 7 in Boston. However, they surely have their work cut out for them tonight. Scoring first would be a huge asset,... scoring at least two or three times is what they will need to happen.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
The Av's/Knights series is being played at an intensity and speed that outpaces any other series. Fleury got the Mr. Softie award last night for a weak goal let in at the end of the 1st, then collected himself and stood on his head to keep his team in it. They responded off two Av's turnovers with goals and went to OT where 'Speedster' Stone buried it on the breakaway to clinch the comeback. Really good game.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
The Av's/Knights series is being played at an intensity and speed that outpaces any other series. Fleury got the Mr. Softie award last night for a weak goal let in at the end of the 1st, then collected himself and stood on his head to keep his team in it. They responded off two Av's turnovers with goals and went to OT where 'Speedster' Stone buried it on the breakaway to clinch the comeback. Really good game.
Yeah, this series has been something to watch, just for the pure sake of the hockey being played. The games are very enjoyable.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Agreed, the pace of that game was full throttle. Stone put that puck in the only spot he could have to win in OT,... similar in accuracy/luck to the Marchand goal against the Islanders he shot from corner near the goal line.

Avs vs Vegas game 7 should be a ban burner,... but I'll go with Vegas and the reason being that I have them as winning the cup in the hockey pool I've entered. They could win me $450.00 if the hockey Gods should take the gamble.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I guess I'm going to have to hold my nose and root for Montreal.:)
"Go Canada Go"
No chance in hell :)

This isn't international hockey, here, this is city franchises. Out of the Canada-based NHL teams, I might root for Vancouver if the Leafs are out because I lived there and got to watch some live Canucks games (man, was Pavel Bure ever good!). I've long had a bit of an affinity for the Canucks, but it's a distant second. I might possibly cheer for the Jets, depending on who they were playing. But that's it. The rest of them can eat it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 · (Edited)
Bruins vs Islanders, end of the second period as I type this and the score is 4-1 New York,... it's over for Boston.
Islanders are physically dominant and absolutely skating circles around them. Bruins can't get out of second gear while the Islanders are in fifth gear. Rask looks like he is off or hurt in some way,... and made a great pass to an Islander player from behind the net who landed up netting it. Perhaps Cassidy should have given Swayman the start.

Hmmm,... Bruins just got a power play goal(which seems the only way they can score),... now 4-2 with about 14 minutes left in the third,... should I erase this post?,.... naaahhh.

Tonights Bruins performance = Leafs 2.0

221 - 240 of 349 Posts