The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Who Will Hoist Lord Stanley's Cup In 2021? Teams Listed In Order Of Final Regular Season Standings

• Colorado

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Vegas

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Carolina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Florida

• Pittsburg

• Toronto

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Washington

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Tampa Bay

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Minnesota

• Boston

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • NY Islanders

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Nashville

• Winnipeg

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • St.Louis

• Montreal

Votes: 9 20.9%
201 - 220 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Time to assemble a 'super group'.
McDavid, Matthews, the soon-to-choke Hellebuyck, who else? ;)
Bergeron-Pastrnak-Marchand(perfection line), Aho, Varlamov, Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Ovechkin, Draisaitl, Stone, Zibanejad, Landeskog, Mackinnon, Hedman, McAvoy, Weegar, Hamilton, Fleury, Vasilevskiy, Rantanen.

·
Premium Member
11,135 Posts
Yup. But he does need some sort of coaching to work on his confidence. He was lost in this series.
It wasnt just Marner.
leafs nation loves to scapegoat 1 player whenever they tank, which is always, as it gives them the illusion of hope for the next season if that 1 bad apple is gone. But its flawed.
Matthews didnt produce either, although it was nice for him to add *some physicality to his game that was previously sorely missing. But the 2 of them combined didnt produce as much as Nylander, although theyre both in good company, McDavid choked in the playoffs too. Burke was onto something when he said you have to have a team built for the playoffs....reg season success doesnt always translate well to playoff hockey. Probably why theres the curse of the Presidents Cup. Matthews, Marner, Mcdavid etc who play a run and gun style, need a SOLID CORE behind them, to win, like the cup winning Penguins or Red wings of previous years. Much too much is expected of them for the superficial reason of salary.

Nor did Simmonds bring any of the grit he was hired for. Very disappointing.
Foligno and Thornton were not effective. foligno was too late and seriously, Thornton? A broken down version of the guy who made losing in the playoffs an annual event for the sharks? Whatever he tried to teach them, they should have had their Airpods in.
leafs defense for the most part was uninspired. Reilly is the only indispensable piece there.
The only bright spots I saw on this cap pressed team, were Nylander (remember all the grief he got 2 years ago?), Spezza, Galchenyuk and maybe Campbell, who may have an average career ahead of him (he was good, not great).

I liked some of the trades Dubas made THIS YEAR, but he should have been fired 2 years ago, you know, when he knew they were soft and would be facing the Bruins in round 1, and addressed that with....Nic Petan.
for that reason, Shanahan should be gone too, for not making the pencil neck geek above who doesnt seem to know anything about playoff hockey, acquire some players LIKE SHANAHAN HIMSELF WAS. Its highly possible Shanahan is another Gretzky. winner on the ice, loser off the ice.
Sheldon likely has to go too...he had no solutions to the Habs, who arent really that amazing a team, and everyone could see it.

As I said at the start of this thread, sadly, chokers choke, and the smart money always bets against TML. If you havent been to a final in 50+ years, youre nothing.
all that history means nothing if youre watching the cup played between expansion teams like Tampa, Vegas, Florida, Dallas, Carolina, Ducks, Oilers, Flames, Sharks, Predators, Canucks, Sens, Devils, etc....teams that did it in far less than 50 years.
Facts.
and yes, Im pissed off. very nearly torched my TML merch after game 7.

Reactions: SWLABR and jdto

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Habs take game 2 in Winterpeg, behind Carey Price to go up 2-0 in games. Habs are playing good hockey and they're getting production froms the guys they brought in. The barn is dull though....not much feedback. Not so In Vegas with a sold out crowd, pumping up the team. Knights take the Av's in game three, 3-2. Really good game....lot's of hitting, driving the net, shot blocking....both teams going for it. Playoff hockey at it's best.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
It wasnt just Marner.
leafs nation loves to scapegoat 1 player whenever they tank, which is always, as it gives them the illusion of hope for the next season if that 1 bad apple is gone. But its flawed.
Matthews didnt produce either, although it was nice for him to add *some physicality to his game that was previously sorely missing. But the 2 of them combined didnt produce as much as Nylander, although theyre both in good company, McDavid choked in the playoffs too. Burke was onto something when he said you have to have a team built for the playoffs....reg season success doesnt always translate well to playoff hockey. Probably why theres the curse of the Presidents Cup. Matthews, Marner, Mcdavid etc who play a run and gun style, need a SOLID CORE behind them, to win, like the cup winning Penguins or Red wings of previous years. Much too much is expected of them for the superficial reason of salary.

Nor did Simmonds bring any of the grit he was hired for. Very disappointing.
Foligno and Thornton were not effective. foligno was too late and seriously, Thornton? A broken down version of the guy who made losing in the playoffs an annual event for the sharks? Whatever he tried to teach them, they should have had their Airpods in.
leafs defense for the most part was uninspired. Reilly is the only indispensable piece there.
The only bright spots I saw on this cap pressed team, were Nylander (remember all the grief he got 2 years ago?), Spezza, Galchenyuk and maybe Campbell, who may have an average career ahead of him (he was good, not great).

I liked some of the trades Dubas made THIS YEAR, but he should have been fired 2 years ago, you know, when he knew they were soft and would be facing the Bruins in round 1, and addressed that with....Nic Petan.
for that reason, Shanahan should be gone too, for not making the pencil neck geek above who doesnt seem to know anything about playoff hockey, acquire some players LIKE SHANAHAN HIMSELF WAS. Its highly possible Shanahan is another Gretzky. winner on the ice, loser off the ice.
Sheldon likely has to go too...he had no solutions to the Habs, who arent really that amazing a team, and everyone could see it.

As I said at the start of this thread, sadly, chokers choke, and the smart money always bets against TML. If you havent been to a final in 50+ years, youre nothing.
all that history means nothing if youre watching the cup played between expansion teams like Tampa, Vegas, Florida, Dallas, Carolina, Ducks, Oilers, Flames, Sharks, Predators, Canucks, Sens, Devils, etc....teams that did it in far less than 50 years.
Facts.
and yes, Im pissed off. very nearly torched my TML merch after game 7.
Agreed, it wasn’t just Marner. It was the whole entourage. But I see the potential in Marner and would love to see some intelligent coaching bring out his best. “Leafs Nation” is toxic as fuck. These are kids. Marner and Matthews are 23-24. Lots of time is left for them to learn the ropes.
our media is dogshit

·
Premium Member
11,135 Posts
Agreed, it wasn’t just Marner. It was the whole entourage. But I see the potential in Marner and would love to see some intelligent coaching bring out his best. “Leafs Nation” is toxic as fuck. These are kids. Marner and Matthews are 23-24. Lots of time is left for them to learn the ropes.
our media is dogshit
IMO, Marner is in the top 5 all-time two-way players TML has had and they are lucky to have him, even at his salary (which considering its Toronto, will always be more than in other cities with a culture of winning, lower taxes, and a more forgiving media/fanbase, potentially better climate-noone with options would or should take a discount to play here). His linemates always benefit from him, not a coincidence that both Tavares and Matthews posted career high scoring numbers in the years when on Marners line).
I definitely dont think fans should write him and AM34 off.

Theres clearly something missing. It has to be more than Tavares absence. You look at cup winning teams from recent histlry, and you look at TML and cant help but think "...they dont look like that". if (Shan and) Dumbass cant see that, he needs new glasses, or to GTFO. They have more holes in their lineup than swiss cheese. And its not just bc of cap space...Pit could afford Crosby and Malkin, along with a cup winning ensemble...CHI had a massive group of stars around Toews and Kane, Red wings the same with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom etc. Depth in every position.
But you have to have a savvy GM to spot the up and coming talent to surround the stars at a reasonable price. Dufus, IMO is not that guy.
Look what Pit have gotten out of Guentzel, a 3rd rounder...5 years, 250 points (48 points in 51 total playoff games). How come the stats genius Dumbass hasnt found gems like that, and instead just writes big cheques or goes dumpster diving for the Marleaus and Thorntons while defense is sorely lacking?
Or maybe other teams know how to develop that and TML simply do not.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 · (Edited)
Watching judo and Diablo exchange analogies,... reminds be of being a Bruins fan in the early 2000's, lol. I feel your pain and frustration. One of the major reasons why the Boston ownership started to seriously make efforts to build a winning team was due to the fan base. Bruins fans had enough of a mediocre team for years and they just didn't buy tickets and show up at the rink. I remember the home games only having 10 to 12 thousand fans for many years.

Leaf fans should try sending the same message by hitting ownership in the pocket book,... but, they seem too desperate to spend money on a seat and merchandise instead of getting genuinely pissed off and forcing a truly competitive team roster to be created with players dedicated to do what it takes to win. Instead management decided to award outrageous contracts to a handful of players who had no track record of wining and being difference makers in the big leagues.

Bruins stopped playing that game a while ago,... and that's why Toronto landed up with Phil 'The Floater' Kessel for a couple years.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Bolts/Canes in a defensive struggle today.....8 goals in the second period.....wild 'chit. Bolts outgun the Canes and take a commanding 3-1 lead in the series heading back to Caniac Country. Isles/ B's....what a grinder....great effort by Pageau and Barzal to lead the Isles in tying up the series. the Nassau was rocking. Varlamov solid again between the pipes....tied up 2-2 heading back to Boston.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 · (Edited)
Bolts/Canes in a defensive struggle today.....8 goals in the second period.....wild 'chit. Bolts outgun the Canes and take a commanding 3-1 lead in the series heading back to Caniac Country. Isles/ B's....what a grinder....great effort by Pageau and Barzal to lead the Isles in tying up the series. the Nassau was rocking. Varlamov solid again between the pipes....tied up 2-2 heading back to Boston.
Yeah, tough loss for the B's. Pastrnak misses a WIDE open net that could have given the Bruins a 1-0 lead in the first and helped in making it a potential 2-2 tie in regulation time forcing OT. That will haunt him in his dreams tonight.

Boston just didn't look hungry enough in the latter stages of the third period. They had no urgency or tenacity to secure an effective forecheck in the Islander zone allowing Rask to make it to the bench for the extra man advantage.

Could have had New York in a stranglehold going back to Boston with the 3-1 lead. In my opinion the B's have to win game 5 at home as they have a horrible time winning in the Islanders rink. Their all time playoff record against the Islanders is 5-10-0-0.

If they do win game 5 at home I smell a game 7 back in Boston. This is one tight series so far.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Yeah, tough loss for the B's. Pastrnak misses a WIDE open net that could have given the Bruins a 1-0 lead in the first and helped in making it a potential 2-2 tie in regulation time forcing OT. That will haunt him in his dreams tonight.

Boston just didn't look hungry enough in the latter stages of the third period. They had no urgency or tenacity to secure an effective forecheck in the Islander zone allowing Rask to make it to the bench for the extra man advantage.

Could have had New York in a stranglehold going back to Boston with the 3-1 lead. In my opinion the B's have to win game 5 at home as they have a horrible time winning in the Islanders rink. Their all time playoff record against the Islanders is 5-10-0-0.

If they do win game 5 at home I smell a game 7 back in Boston. This is one tight series so far.
View attachment 368552
View attachment 368553
The B's missed having Carlo in the line up. But then every team has to deal with injuries, especially the deeper you get in the playoffs. Pastrnak will bounce back.....stuff like that happens.... As is often the case, it will come down to goaltending. Rask and Varlamov have been playing well. Trotz didn't wait an extra game to pull Sorokin....smart coach. I expect the B's top line to rebound in the next game at home. Good series.

·
Premium Member
26,132 Posts
An old friend sent me this today. I liked it. I think you will too. I'm guessing some of you may well have heard it, or something very close, some time in past, but it still holds up well.

It’s game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final , and a man makes his way to his seat right at
center ice. He sits down, noticing that the seat next to him is empty. He leans over
and asks his neighbor if someone will be sitting there. No, says the neighbor, the
seat's empty. Unbelievable, says the man. Who in their right mind would buy a seat
like this for the Stanley Cup and not use it? The neighbour says, well actually, the
seat belongs to me. I was supposed to come with my wife, but she passed away, this
is the first Stanley Cup we haven’t been to together since we got married. Oh I’m so
sorry to hear that. That’s terrible, but surely you could have found someone else, a
friend, a relative, even a neighbour, to take the seat?. The man shakes his head,
"nope, they’re all at the funeral.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
The Golden Knights have got a little wind in their sails. They brought their A+ heavy game last night and shut down the Av's, to tie up the series. Time for Bednar to mix and match and get out the chalk board. Montreal....what can you say, except they're winning all the little battles out there that help to keep you in the win column. One more win to be Canada's rep in the next series.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
The Habs chances will depend heavily on how badly the Avs and Knights wear each other down. I didn’t think any team out of the North stood a chance of getting past this next round and I still don’t.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
The B's/Isles game was a barn burner. The B's top line showed up but it wasn't enough to solve Varlamov enough to win. Hard hitting game. Advantage the Isles. Habs/Jets.....Habs get it done. Caufield is making some pretty passes and starting to fit in nicely. Suzuki really showing growth. Perry, once again, playing like a young 'un....such a smart player. Petry didn't play so we had a chance to see Romanov. He's going to be a good one. Very physical....might need him in the next series. Price lets in a softie, doesn't even flinch. That's the last one you get tonight. He will be an important key, next round.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
The B's/Isles game was a barn burner. The B's top line showed up but it wasn't enough to solve Varlamov enough to win. Hard hitting game. Advantage the Isles. Habs/Jets.....Habs get it done. Caufield is making some pretty passes and starting to fit in nicely. Suzuki really showing growth. Perry, once again, playing like a young 'un....such a smart player. Petry didn't play so we had a chance to see Romanov. He's going to be a good one. Very physical....might need him in the next series. Price lets in a softie, doesn't even flinch. That's the last one you get tonight. He will be an important key, next round.
Anyone who says they had seen this coming with the Habs winning the north is an outright liar, lol. Montreal has the mojo and Price is looking like he did 6-8 years ago. The young kids are fearless and just having a shit-load of fun,... to young to realize they should be nervous? I just wonder when they meet either Colorado or Vegas if the Habs are ready and or able to play a physical brand of hockey for an entire series,... they have surprised the hockey world so far so who knows what they are capable of. Will it be the 'Cinderella Story' of 2021?,... if so I don't know how I will be able to live with some of my Hab fan family members, lol.

Yeah, Bruins are in deep now. Missed another opportunity to apply pressure on the Islanders. Cassidy hooked Rask from between the pipes in the third,... good strategy to get the team motivated but too little too late. Again they did not show enough urgency late in the third to get the extra man on the ice,... not enough fight in the Islanders zone to sustain puck control. Sounds like Rask may be a little beat up as indicated by coach Cassidy. Swayman may get the call in game 6 and I have total confidence in him to play well as he had shown in the regular season,... just hope the team wakes up in front of him.

However, not feeling too confident that Boston will force a game 7. From what I've seen in the last couple games and considering that the next game is in New York I give the Bruins a 20% chance of winning game 6,... they may want to pack their clubs for the trip as well.

201 - 220 of 349 Posts