The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Who Will Hoist Lord Stanley's Cup In 2021? Teams Listed In Order Of Final Regular Season Standings

• Colorado

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Vegas

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Carolina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Florida

• Pittsburg

• Toronto

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Washington

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Tampa Bay

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Minnesota

• Boston

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • NY Islanders

• Nashville

• Winnipeg

• St.Louis

• Montreal

Votes: 9 20.9%
1 - 20 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Well,... here we are, the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs,... Covid Edition,... Covid Cup,... whatever.
Who's your team?
Predictions?
Trash talk?

Thoughts on the playoff format.
How will the 2021 NHL playoffs work?
With the tweaks to the divisions, things look a little different this year. One normal element is that each series will be a best-of-seven.
Here's the breakdown:
The match-ups:
East Division: (1) Penguins vs. (4) Islanders; (2) Capitals vs. (3) Bruins
North Division: (1) Maple Leafs vs. (4) Canadiens; (2) Oilers vs. (3) Jets
West Division: (1) Avalanche vs. (4) Blues; (2) Golden Knights vs. (3) Wild
Central Division: (1) Hurricanes vs. (4) Predators; (2) Panthers vs. (3) Lightning
The first seed of each division will play the fourth-place team while the No. 2 and No. 3 teams will meet.
The winners of these first-round meetings will then face off to crown a division winner.
Once the divisions wrap up their play, the four remaining teams advance to the Stanley Cup semifinals. The four teams will be re-seeded based on their regular-season point totals with the team with the most points facing the team with the fewest. The winners of the semis battle it out in the 2021 Stanley Cup Final.
Sorry, but there will not be an awarding of the Prince of Wales Trophy or Clarence S. Campbell Bowl in 2021.

Are fans allowed?
The 12 teams in the United States have been allowing fans into their buildings for a while, with some teams upping their capacity recently. In Canada, like the regular season, fans will not be in attendance.
NHL playoff fan capacity:

Nashville: 12,135
St. Louis: 9,000
Colorado: 7,750
Vegas: 7,567
Tampa Bay: 7,000
New York Islanders: 6,800
Pittsburgh: 5,000
Washington: 5,000
Minnesota: 4,500
Boston: 4,291
Carolina: Unknown
Florida: Unknown

Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Winnipeg: 0
— Jeremy Rutherford (@jprutherford) May 14, 2021
Where will the North Division winner play?
Because of the border closure between the United States and Canada, and Canada's quarantine requirement upon arrival, there have been some discussions regarding whether the team will need to be relocated. If cross-border travel is not allowed by the Canadian government, it sounds like the Canadian division champ will relocate to an NHL city (whose team did not make the playoffs) south of the border.
ESPN's Greg Wyshynski reports that the NHL has told the Canadian government that it will need to know by June 1, which is one day after the first round can end, if it goes the distance.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,641 Posts
It feels weird that the regular season still has some games left (Delayed from Covid protocols--and yet the playoffs have started.)
Although none of those games affect the playoffs

Reactions: Midnight Rider

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It feels weird that the regular season still has some games left (Delayed from Covid protocols--and yet the playoffs have started.)
Although none of those games affect the playoffs
Agreed,... this year is setting an array of unprecedented events. One for the history books,... hopefully the last, lol.

·
Premium Member
18,292 Posts
All I want to know is, at which stage in the playoffs will the Leafs choke?

Simple question.

Toronto and the other cities that orbit it could sure use a morale booster.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I'd like everyone to go on the record. Is the winner of this year's Stanley Cup a "legit" Stanley Cup Champion, or is there the whole "*covid season" thing going on, easy division, etc. Becasue you know if the Leafs win, all the Canadiens fans will be throwing that crap around.

I think whoever wins is legit. They all played by the same rules.

·
Premium Member
18,292 Posts
I'd like everyone to go on the record. Is the winner of this year's Stanley Cup a "legit" Stanley Cup Champion, or is there the whole "*covid season" thing going on, easy division, etc. Becasue you know if the Leafs win, all the Canadiens fans will be throwing that crap around.

I think whoever wins is legit. They all played by the same rules.

I agree, all players and teams have basically the same conditions.

No asterisks.

I'll take a little jab at long suffering Leaf fans from time to time, but hell if they won it would sure be a happy event around these parts.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

Simple question.

I put a wager on them to win this year, and they aren't even close to being my favourite team. I figured, after 50+ seasons of futility, if they were ever going to win another SC, it might as well be this year. That way, I could also stomach the result if it played out that way. One thing I am looking forward to is seeing some North division teams actually hit one another consistently.

·
Premium Member
18,292 Posts
I put a wager on them to win this year, and they aren't even close to being my favourite team. I figured, after 50+ seasons of futility, if they were ever going to win another SC, it might as well be this year. That way, I could also stomach the result if it played out that way. One thing I am looking forward to is seeing some North division teams actually hit one another consistently.
Well I hope you're right, but I might use the same hopeful logic in my lottery quest, LOL.

·
Registered
693 Posts
In my playoff pool, I had the Leafs making the conference finals, along with Washington, Vegas and Carolina.

I still didn't pick any Leafs on principle.

Assuming the Avs and Vegas meet in their division final, that series will be an absolute stonker.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts

Simple question.

Since they don't have to face the bruins right off the bat I predict they get to the second round.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
It would be a big mistake to count the Montreal Canadiens for beaten, Price, Gallagher and Weber will be back to face the Leafs and underdog have no pressure.. Hope for Leaf's fans that TO won't choke in the first round:cool:

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Long-suffering Leafs fan.

I'm hoping for a decent run but am fully prepared for disappointment. The regular season has shown that the Leafs can possibly win their way out of Canada but all those U.S. teams have a pretty good history against the Leafs.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I....let's just say I have my doubts about the Leafs. I think Montreal can beat them. I agree that they have no pressure on them, so why not win?

I also think that Connor Hellebuyck might make life hard for the Oilers.

And I need Vegas to start scoring for the pool. A lot.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This is going to be an interesting year. After the Division finals, all of the final four teams have not played each other in about a year. So it's kind of a toss up as to which style of game is going to prevail. It's been a weird season to say the least. The Leafs had a lot of trouble with the Sens, but then the Oilers beat the crap out of the Sens, and then the Oilers had a lot of trouble with the Leafs.... It's just odd.

The Calgary/Vancouver games are like their own mini-playoff series where they play 3 games and both teams lose.

Reactions: NoTalentHack

·
Premium Member
11,088 Posts
Gonna have to go with the Caps. ovechkin is a pure beast. not feeling good about their goaltending though. not sure who the playoff super goalie will be overall, actually. Vasilevskiy would normally be my pick, but can’t expect him to be a standout every year.

this is the best TML team in my lifetime. But that’s not saying much...so I predict whichever team they meet from the USA will mop up the floor with them.

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
this is the best TML team in my lifetime. But that’s not saying much...so I predict whichever team they meet from the USA will mop up the floor with them.
92-93 for me. That was a great team with a pretty good playoff run that ended only when the great Gretzky got away with a bloody high-stick on Gilmour.

1 - 20 of 299 Posts