The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here will be at the Edmonton Guitar Show September 23rd ?

I will be heading up from Red Deer again and helping out David Gilmore In the “Gilmore Guitars” booth .

Hope to meet more people this year .

Matt

·
Mad Strappier
498 Posts
I am planning to attend as a vendor, and looking forward to it

Reactions: MS41R8

·
Mad Strappier
498 Posts
Well-Hung Guitar Accessories

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
i went last year, was really underwhelming for the cost of admission. but i will probably swing by and say hi to the regular edmonton folk.

·
Registered
171 Posts
really ? sorry to hear that . last year we had 35 vendors and 58 tables of products. But we are always open to suggestions.

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
Last year I thought it would be cool to drive up for the show--go up on Saturday & take in some guitar stores & other stuff on Saturday--then the show on Sunday--but with the new arrangement where the same group operates/manages/whatever the Calgary, Edmonton, Regina & Saskatoon shows I would have to go up too late to do much on Saturday-or miss the Calgary show. (However I do believe it is a benefit to the arrangement--it does streamline some organizational things and may encourage some vendors to be at more shows--and helps with promotion, etc)
So i'll be missing the Edmonton one, but look forward to the pictures.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The back to back Calgary/Edmonton is a first for us. Its also the first year we are working with Gerry from Calgary to coordinate the two. It may be something that works well or we may go back to separate weekends for the two . It is a challenge for some vendors to do a back to back and then some folks like it because they don't have to spend two weekends to do them . For the most part , the vendors are local but there are about 6 to 10 that do both . For me and the other organizers, we have day jobs so tying up multiple weekends become a bit more of a challenge .

we have been doing the Sask shows back to back primarily because most of the venders are not from Regina and Saskatoon. For some reason its a real challenge to get the local communities heavily involved . The out of province or even in province Sask guys would find it very expensive to make two weekend trips to saskatchewan.

the reality is that the guitar shows are a hobby for us that i fell onto by accident with Bill from Edmonton after Brian from Avenue passed away a number of years back. Its a lot of work to do them with some higher costs that you would imagine . The upside is that i have met some very talented people and enthusiasts who have become my friends .

if you show up for any of the shows , ask for Gary and say Hi. Always good to meet fellow guitar geeks .

cheers !

GM

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
The back to back Calgary/Edmonton is a first for us. Its also the first year we are working with Gerry from Calgary to coordinate the two. It may be something that works well or we may go back to separate weekends for the two . It is a challenge for some vendors to do a back to back and then some folks like it because they don't have to spend two weekends to do them . For the most part , the vendors are local but there are about 6 to 10 that do both . For me and the other organizers, we have day jobs so tying up multiple weekends become a bit more of a challenge .

we have been doing the Sask shows back to back primarily because most of the venders are not from Regina and Saskatoon. For some reason its a real challenge to get the local communities heavily involved . The out of province or even in province Sask guys would find it very expensive to make two weekend trips to saskatchewan.

the reality is that the guitar shows are a hobby for us that i fell onto by accident with Bill from Edmonton after Brian from Avenue passed away a number of years back. Its a lot of work to do them with some higher costs that you would imagine . The upside is that i have met some very talented people and enthusiasts who have become my friends .

if you show up for any of the shows , ask for Gary and say Hi. Always good to meet fellow guitar geeks .

cheers !

GM
I definitely appreciate all the work everybody involved puts into this--I had been hoping for years that someone would do one I could attend, as I lack the skills to actually do so myself.
SO thank you for that--and to everybody else
I certainly appreciate the benefits of having them on a Saturday & Sunday--and Saturday works better for me than Sunday.
So no complaints that way--more a comment

I hope the Saskatchewan ones improve as well--as well as all of these across Canada.

It would be nice if GC as a forum could somehow get involved & support it beyond mentions on the forum.

Even if you don't fid anything to buy-or can't afford to--the browsing alone is fun, and getting to meet others & the conversations and all that--they are worth it.

I realize not everybody would be into it, nor can everybody attend every one--but I would like to encourage all members here to support their local guitar show if they have one.

And as I am not affiliated & do not gain anything monetarily from the show's success--no risk anything if it isn't as successful--
Canadian Guitar Shows

Reactions: TVvoodoo and MS41R8

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
really ? sorry to hear that . last year we had 35 vendors and 58 tables of products. But we are always open to suggestions.
not entirely the fault of the guitar show. imho, it was a bit crowded (which can be a good thing) but there just wasnt a whole lot happening when i was at the show. would love to see more demos or something. having said that, Im not as big into the gear as i used to be years ago. I go mainly to say hi to the edmonton GC folks and see if i can snag any deals on smaller stuff. it felt a lot more like a gear swap vibe than a show/convention to me.

i was expecting to see more big vendors/demos i guess. but that all boils down to which of them are willing to come out and put something on which the show cant really control.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I’ll definitely be there walking around. Unfortunately I don’t have any product to display this year (a good problem to have), otherwise I would at the very least share a booth. Nonetheless I’m happy to go and support the show however I can, spend some money with the vendors who did make the effort.

I’ve seen the show grow and grow since it began and it’s really encouraging to see it evolve. These things take time and it’s really up to the community to invest in it to make it attractive to regular patrons.

Alex

Of SorokinGuitars.com

·
Registered
171 Posts
thanks for the uplifting words. This year we do have more room so its not so crowded. its a lot of work but a ton of fun on that day so it makes it all worthwhile. We have been working on the seminar part of it and we do have have 3 small things lined up ranging from how to care for your tube amp to a talk fro Gerry at Calgary Vintage. That part is what we want to grow.
we are open to all types of vendors including the " big boys ". The fenders and gibsons of the world don't like to play at these shows and L and M don't gain much by it. We do have some product by a couple well know canadian distributors , both on their own and through some stores. .More builders this year which is very cool.

Maybe Alex can bring Tylers guitar :) . i hear its close ?

please ask for Gary if you come by . Would be great to put faces on some of these monikers that i don't know .

cheers

GM

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
We have been working on the seminar part of it and we do have have 3 small things lined up ranging from how to care for your tube amp to a talk fro Gerry at Calgary Vintage. That part is what we want to grow.
Cool--anything like that at the Calgary Show?

·
Registered
14,573 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I just only now realized this show is happening this sunday

when are all the edmonton folks planning on showing up?

I suspect Marv will have his usual booth?

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
I'll be there late afternoon. I have to wait for my guitar playing son to get off work at 2:00. :)

If the weather was reasonable I would have been pouring cement all weekend......but it's snowing hard outside today.......so it's guitar show

1 - 20 of 58 Posts