The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my latest lp craze, I checked out one of these lps at the local L&M.

Anyone own one? Thoughts?

Aside from the crap robot tuners, I dug it. Really loved the fit and finish, 60s neck and the fact the fret wire went right to the end of the fingerboard (harder for the high e to slip off)..hate those nibs. As well, it had a great top with an authentic looking cherry burst (looked like an r9).

2800 or 2900 ( forget) seems a tad high, but man, i really liked it when compared to the current stds and to the reissues I've owned.

Weight was up there (approx 9.5), but still, she rang loud and true.

Thoughts? Am I a schmuck paying that price for a 2015?

Oh yeah, save for the robot tuners, it has none of the other infamous appointments from 2015.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
The Edmonton area L&Ms were listing them at $2400 during the Black Friday sales.

It's an overpriced Traditional IMHO.

L&M bought 55 of them for their stores in 2015 and their inventory shows about 45 still in stock.... try a lowball offer, they might bite.

A few weeks ago I fell in love with a '16 Les Paul Classic Exclusive.
Same idea as the Japan series.... it was listed at $2600 and I took it home for $1700.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
By your description, it sounds like the Japanese market Traditional you tried is the guitar for you.
If so, don't get hung up on the asking price too much and buy it.

Make them an offer on it, the worst they can say is no, but I have found that L&M will work with you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Here's what I would do....

1) Low ball them with a $1700 offer
2) If they balk, remind them that it's been sitting in stock since 2015 (if not late 2014)
3) Remind them that for an 'exclusive and limited 55 guitar offering' they are still sitting on > 80% of them
4) Remind them how unpopular the wide neck and nibless binding is with buyers
5) If they don't bite, leave your number and walk, tell them the offer is on the table and to call if they change their mind after checking your facts.

Worked for me with my purchase.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure if it helps but I have the ltd for Japan V. killer guitar. I payed full price but the few they have left aren't moving and have been discounted a bit. If I never had it I would buy it again at full price.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what I would do....

1) Low ball them with a $1700 offer
2) If they balk, remind them that it's been sitting in stock since 2015 (if not late 2014)
3) Remind them that for an 'exclusive and limited 55 guitar offering' they are still sitting on > 80% of them
4) Remind them how unpopular the wide neck and nibless binding is with buyers
5) If they don't bite, leave your number and walk, tell them the offer is on the table and to call if they change their mind after checking your facts.

Worked for me with my purchase.
According to the L&M employee helping me out, the price is "locked" in at $2,899, so he can't move at all.

Killer les paul but 2899 seems too much. Strange they refuse to tango because 2016 stds are on sale for $2,499.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Headsup @Prsman: L&M Peterborough has one up for grabs in the Boxing Day sale...

GIBSON LPTDJHSCH GIBSON LP TRADITIONAL JAPAN LTD-HS NEW $2,399.00

Perhaps you could leverage that deal to negotiate a better price on the one you've tried and like i.e. "I could grab that one and have you folks bring it in for me. I'd rather just buy the one you have here though (for the same price)..."

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
L&M in Edmonton (Whyte) is selling their Japan model for $1999.

Be forewarned that they replaced the auto tuners with Grovers and it looks like Ray Charles did it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,712 Posts
Reminds me of when Gibson made LP's for the Japanese market designated with Yamano. Those were consistently among the most beautiful LPs I'd ever seen.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Headsup @Prsman: L&M Peterborough has one up for grabs in the Boxing Day sale...

Perhaps you could leverage that deal to negotiate a better price on the one you've tried and like i.e. "I could grab that one and have you folks bring it in for me. I'd rather just buy the one you have here though (for the same price)..."
Should be interesting to see how the L&M dudes respond to this tidbit.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
My buddy just bought one. He loves the 60's neck. He got it for 2199$ and they threw in a new set of tuners. It is a kind of unique guitar having the thinner neck. It also has no circuit board, pots and orange drop caps.
The robot tuners might be ugly, but they sure work well. My buddy loves them as he has poor vision and has problems tuning regular guitars with the clip on tuners.
But, he will still probably put on the new tuners just to retain the traditional look,
The top on it is really nice, not too much, just enough flame.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I ended up buying the one from L&M in Peterborough, got it for $2199. They had already replaced the g-force tuners with Grovers which is fine by me. There are many factors involved when buying a guitar, however I think most guitarists would agree that when you find a guitar that feels, plays, and sounds really good, paying a few extra bucks is not that big of a deal, within reason of course. I almost never have a plan when I buy new guitar. It's just one of those magical things, when you find the right guitar, you just know. And that's exactly what happened to me with this Les Paul traditional. Every time I play it I fall in love with it a little more lol.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up buying the one from L&M in Peterborough, got it for $2199. They had already replaced the g-force tuners with Grovers which is fine by me. There are many factors involved when buying a guitar, however I think most guitarists would agree that when you find a guitar that feels, plays, and sounds really good, paying a few extra bucks is not that big of a deal, within reason of course. I almost never have a plan when I buy new guitar. It's just one of those magical things, when you find the right guitar, you just know. And that's exactly what happened to me with this Les Paul traditional. Every time I play it I fall in love with it a little more lol.
congrats b'y!

yep...they are killer. would have bought one at that price had I not pulled the trigger on my R0 a few wks back.

However, I can safely say that these particular traditionals got me back on the lp train.
IMG_20180331_220144_825.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
I spent 3 months in the winter/spring of 2017 shopping for a new LP. Between the 3 local Long & McQuade's in the Halifax area I tried around 70 guitars with a mixture of Standards, Traditionals and Custom Shop items. But I kept coming back to the Dartmouth store and the 2015 Japan Ltd Ed they had on the wall. At first it was marked at $3199 but the day I walked in to try and beat them down on price it had dropped to $2399 and I simply picked it up and carried it to the counter. I've owned three LP's in the last 37 years ('74 Gold Top & 85 Sunburst) and this is easily the best player of the three by a mile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spent 3 months in the winter/spring of 2017 shopping for a new LP. Between the 3 local Long & McQuade's in the Halifax area I tried around 70 guitars with a mixture of Standards, Traditionals and Custom Shop items. But I kept coming back to the Dartmouth store and the 2015 Japan Ltd Ed they had on the wall. At first it was marked at $3199 but the day I walked in to try and beat them down on price it had dropped to $2399 and I simply picked it up and carried it to the counter. I've owned three LP's in the last 37 years ('74 Gold Top & 85 Sunburst) and this is easily the best player of the three by a mile.
Mine looks a lot like yours (I'll try and post a pic soon); just got it from L&M Ottawa. I almost bought it last year, decided I'd get it during Gibson month this year and then watched in horror as the number of guitars dropped and dropped! Finally put it on layaway just to be sure. I absolutely LOVE this guitar...the slim neck feels great with my small hands and the 59 Tributes just roar. I also have a 2016 SG Standard and for whatever reason the Les Paul is way, way louder. I wasn't a fan of G force until I actually got the guitar but so far so good...changing strings is a breeze and haven't had any issues with off-pitch tuning.
I feels sorry for anyone who walked away from these guitars just because they were 2015's or because they thought they were made in Japan. I know I'm biased but IMO the quality on this model is very close to Custom Shop levels.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts