The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in Ontario notice that many stores --- such as L&Ms, Cosmos, L.A. Music --- all have 2014 R8/9s in stock?

I wonder why 2014?

And of course, being NOS, the price is the same or only a very little below current stuff.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Anyone in Ontario notice that many stores --- such as L&Ms, Cosmos, L.A. Music --- all have 2014 R8/9s in stock?

I wonder why 2014?

And of course, being NOS, the price is the same or only a very little below current stuff.
Aren't those the ones with the anniversary logo on the 12th fret ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not that I'm aware of on the CS stuff. There was a year recently (can't recall which) where some USA regular models had the anniversary logo on the 12th.

It just seems odd to me that Yorkville seems to have recently got a number of 2014 CS LPs for distribution to a number of stores.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I just noticed that on the L&M website, a bunch of them.

Not sure if that was around the rosewood debacle.
'14 as the year of the 12th fret emblem, but as mentioned, not on the CS stuff.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
I just noticed that on the L&M website, a bunch of them.

Not sure if that was around the rosewood debacle.
'14 as the year of the 12th fret emblem, but as mentioned, not on the CS stuff.
are you talking the laminated rosewood fretboards? that was 2012

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
A part of me would love one..but new pricing for a four year old guitar...nope
Does year matter if it new out of the box?

It's not like it's going to change the resale much as soon as you take it home?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I discovered today that though listed as 2014, the 4 or 5 I looked at while at LA Music were in fact 2016s --- they had a '16 serial number. I believe the same at Cosmo Music (I looked at many guitars today at 4 stores and can't recall for sure tho).

LA Music had two R9s that I really liked and I could have walked out the door with either for just under $6G but didn't. I went afterwards to the L&M in Mississauga to look at an R8 and R9 (were ok but still passed on them) and couldn't make it back to LA Music before they closed.

Perhaps for the best --- now that I'm home and playing my Benchmark LP and Explorer I think I'd have a hard time justifying an R9 when each of these feel just as good.

I'm a customer that has to think about things --- so maybe if either is still there at Xmas....

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
You cant buy a new four year old car for todays new price...a dont see how any other commodity should be different

Sure, I get what you are saying, but the automotive industry is continuously producing new products in both style, technology and options. Not to mention style changes. There’s also nothing to dry rot on a guitar like there is on a vehicle. I’m not a Gibson aficionado, but I can’t see how a 4 year old R9 or R8 is any worse than a 2017 R8/9 Especially when the whole concept is 1958/59 to begin with.

Me as buyer; “can I get a deal? it’s 4 years old

Me as a shop owner; “full price, it will hang on the wall until it sells...there’s a buyer for everything and it’s 4 years closer to vintage”

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Mostly likely speculation,...Gibson could have a had bunch of NOS and Yorkville could have got them for half decent price.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts

Sure, I get what you are saying, but the automotive industry is continuously producing new products in both style, technology and options. Not to mention style changes. There’s also nothing to dry rot on a guitar like there is on a vehicle. I’m not a Gibson aficionado, but I can’t see how a 4 year old R9 or R8 is any worse than a 2017 R8/9 Especially when the whole concept is 1958/59 to begin with.

Me as buyer; “can I get a deal? it’s 4 years old

Me as a shop owner; “full price, it will hang on the wall until it sells...there’s a buyer for everything and it’s 4 years closer to vintage”
i don't want to accept that, but it seems to make sense.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mostly likely speculation,...Gibson could have a had bunch of NOS and Yorkville could have got them for half decent price.
Doing some searching online and combining that with what I was told today, it appears that Gibson, after poor sales of the CS Series they introduced in 2015, cancelled that line and brought back the Rs with 2014 specs in 2016.

I've learned something today....

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
A different guitar it seems but there were lots of 2015's for low prices at the online stores. It seems they are still having a hard time getting rid of them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts